Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single bale lifter

Options
  • 28-06-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

In the market for a new single bale lifter. What's a good make?
    Nugent seem to be a good job.

Thanks

Muckit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

ive the cats paws for the front loader cant recomend it enough and the neighbour has the regular one for the back of the tractor its the only job fleming are crap near it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

lab man wrote: »
    ive the cats paws for the front loader cant recomend it enough and the neighbour has the regular one for the back of the tractor its the only job fleming are crap near it

198_R5-1_1.jpg
    Are these what you call 'Cats Paws'?

I'm just looking for one for the rear lift
    nugent-rear-bale-lifter.jpg
    This is the Nugent one I was looking at. Seem a good strong job...€330 sound OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

How much are the cats paws lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

have a cashels one fairly similar to that nugent one, bought in coop there a few years back, its grand, dont remember price, I use it with hydraulic toplink. I think the trouble with the tipping ones is that they nearly always go at the tipping mechanism or where the bars are hinged at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

we've a fleming, its ok, but if youre lifting wrapped bales itll often tear the plastic off the box section iron where the lifter / fork pivots...maybe they all do...maybe the duck-bill design might be kinder to wrapped bales.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

We have an Archway single lifter since about 1987. Never had to put a weld on it. It takes lots of abuse and it doesn't tear any bales when you tip them.

Great lifter if you can still buy them in co-ops. Ours cost £120 at the time. You can still buy them direct from Archway!!

blur6.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭farmerjohn

Muckit wrote: »
    lab man wrote: »

198_R5-1_1.jpg
    Are these what you call 'Cats Paws'?

I'm just looking for one for the rear lift
    nugent-rear-bale-lifter.jpg
    This is the Nugent one I was looking at. Seem a good strong job...€330 sound OK?

We have that nugent one here it's a grand job. Not sure what we paid for it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i have a fleming one 3 years and it is fine. gave €275 for it new.

A lad i use to work for has one 10 plus years and it is perfect condition. It would be moving 200 plus bales every year both ways (ie stacking in field and then feeding in winter)

ya thats the cats paws t
    ey are the job i had the ordinary hyd pipe handler before not a good job newr these you NEVER tear a bale< muckit

p.s. they are about the same money a couple of yrs ago they were cheaper than the hyd pipe type. go to someone to see them working you can bring wrapped bales on end on the trailer no problem and pick and let down as much as you like

i have a fleming one 3 years and it is fine. gave €275 for it new.

A lad i use to work for has one 10 plus years and it is perfect condition. It would be moving 200 plus bales every year both ways (ie stacking in field and then feeding in winter)

i do about 1000 to 1300 each year wont use flem ive seen them bend btw they are made by conor eng as far as i know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

I would say Cashels or Nugent, have a Cashels myself for years, still as good as new and it has done a fair bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

I have a Nugent and it's a fine strong handler. That's the main reason I bought it, I also thought the arms were better designed.
    There isn't much between any of them with a good driver.

I wish I had bales to put on it; fecking weather

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

I have a fleming. Moves round 300 bales a year.

It isnt great in my opinion. Had to do bit of welding on it at the latch. Was too lose and used to open when half way across field with a bale.

Have rossmore front loader one with the open and closing arms. its a great job cause it has two spikes but you can put the covers on them then to become handlers for the wrapped bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Muckit, check out fahys in monivea, he does a good solid job, the tipping latch just needs a bitta greasing.

Lads, do ye use the handler for feeding? We have a twin spike job, real thick tines, great for shaking out

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

yeah, we use it for shaking CC. Like you said, great job to shake out the bales. Gets rid of a lot of forking.

Tell ye what lads. Any bales made now will need a good tractor and lifter next winter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

Apologies for revivng an old thread but it seemed a better idea than starting a new one, my question is what kind of money should i expect to pay for a new single lifter?

new to this whole world of tractors and machinery having never really needed one before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

docmartin wrote: »
    Apologies for revivng an old thread but it seemed a better idea than starting a new one, my question is what kind of money should i expect to pay for a new single lifter?

new to this whole world of tractors and machinery having never really needed one before

maybe 400e?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

We have a gibney about 10 years, would do about 200 bales for us a year and 3 to 4 hundred for neighbours and relations, still perfect, tipping hinge working perfect and wont tear bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

might as well have my twopence! I have used plenty of different bale handlers and one thing i will say that the hydraulic type is the only solutions. with the fixed width handlers if the bales are made of soft silage they sag very soon after they are made and you will tear them when trying to pick them. with the hydraulic version there are no issues with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

330 for a Fox bale lifter in august very happy with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

thanks for the replies, priced around and i can get a new nugent at €330 or a new fleming at €270, also have the option of a practically new nugent at €280 meant to be in as new condition. so fingers crossed i might get something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

You would make one for around 80 euro if you are able, A hydraulic one can be made for around 350 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eddiek

if you get a chance dzer could you post a sketch or a pic of the hydraulic one. thanks

Bought one of these in the end. Seriously heavy duty

p5300323.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Do the most of yas use a hydraulic toplink with the rear mounted ones? Or is it not needed with the ones that pivot? Got a basic 3point mounted one, bales kept on falling off it until I made up a hydraulic toplink out of an old digger ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Bought one of these in the end. Seriously heavy duty

p5300323.jpg

On the hunt for one how much and where did ya buy.

List price 365 yoyos. I think they have dealers all over the west. Google them 'Mayo metal works'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

List price 365 yoyos. I think they have dealers all over the west. Google them 'Mayo metal works'

Cheers thanks will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Got prices yesterday

€340 for a Cashel from Clarkes in Kells
    €430 for a Fleming from Mortimer machinery near Athboy

Both prices include VAT

• Advertisement

Got prices yesterday

€340 for a Cashel from Clarkes in Kells
    €430 for a Fleming from Mortimer machinery near Athboy

Both prices include VAT

If the quality of the Cashel's lifter is like their transport boxes, forget it! Fleming is supposed to be good, but is €430 a little steep?
    Oh forgot to say the pins and clips were with the one I bought, which is worth a fair bit when dealing with that price range

Advertisement