Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC blocking Piratebay on court request, some confirmed reports

• 23-10-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

This is a weird one.

I can access fine, few friends today mentioning they have got the following

http://i.imgur.com/tAXZl.jpg

Havnt heard anything, thought it would be big news.

Anyone heard anything, or getting similar?

MOD WARNING:

No posting work arounds for any ISP blocks, this is the one and only warning about this. Any more posts with workarounds and its a 1 month ban no exceptions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

can you resize the image?
    i havent heard anything about it and can access from here (afraid to restart my modem though)

page doesnt 404 if you follow the link suggesting its real to some extent

http://www.upc.ie/System/Block/999/38111162/tpb/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

subway wrote: »
    can you resize the image?
    i havent heard anything about it and can access from here (afraid to restart my modem though)

page doesnt 404 if you follow the link suggesting its real to some extent

http://www.upc.ie/System/Block/999/38111162/tpb/

I'll leave the image there as a link.

I'm fine at present, and a few lads have confirmed it works for them, yet others are saying blocked.

I would have thought that it would be big news if true. I know UPC in like Holland has had to comply with a blocking rquest or something, but didn't hear anything for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I would have thought it would be all over silicon Republic and the likes if there was a judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Darth Floodric

I'm getting blocked too by the main address but if I Google piratebay and not click the website heading but rather browse music or browse torrents I can gain access.Strangely enough I can access piratebay on other devices in my house.But yeah this message is alarming.I like to see piratebay as a metaphor for freedom of internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Still works for me. But the page load time is dog slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Working fine here on UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

fine here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Working for me too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Works fine here.

How many people that see it blocked are using UPC's nameservers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sparky wrote: »
    Works fine here.

How many people that see it blocked are using UPC's nameservers?
    I use UPC's DNS servers and I'm not blocked.

BTW I do this mainly because using Google or OpenDNS screws with sites that use Akamai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lovethymac

Looks like they are getting ready for the inevitable :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Plenty ways around it. Nothing to be concerned about at all, even if they do decide to block it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Grand here.

Was working for me earlier but is now blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

Defo blocked....just a few mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dariukas

agreed. Had access before midnight - now not anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

hey if you go to the site: <SNIP> - its a different web address for pirate bay. Its a little slow though but still usable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

blocked here now.

can still be accessed via IP address <SNIP>

I'll change my DNS to openDNS and see if its still a problem when the lads give me a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dariukas

nice IP to remember tea_bag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Not blocked over here ...yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Not blocked here yet

Not blocked here either, but more mates saying it is now

Confirmed TPB blocked by PC by court order

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-censored-in-ireland-after-mysterious-court-order-121024/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29

Although SiliconeRepublic are doing some digging they just said, and that it might have been an error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I love this :D just makes me feel even better that i can still easily access the site and download what i want through simple proxy means.

Plus now that its blocked i want to use the site even more :rolleyes: Great advertising for TPB, IRMA IDIOTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

working fine for me on upc with upc dns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Try this <SNIP>

Tim Kuik is the guy responsible for blocking TPB in Holland.
    He is part of an organisation called Buma who support the music industry. Ah well, they say they support the artists.

The man is busy taking everybody to court and while his succes rate is quite low, he still wins some cases because judges in Holland are from a time there were still dinosaurs around and have not a ****ing clue what the internet is about.

A few weeks ago, Dutch website www.geenstijl.nl was fined for having a link on their website to some playboy pictures for example. So they weren't hosting these pics, they had a link to them.
    What this means is that google could basically be fined for every single search result because there will be some copyright material on the returned results.

The problem with the internet is that our "overlords" (government, judges etc and such) in general have no ****ing clue about technology in general and the internet specifically. And therefor clowns like Tim Kuik (and i am sure every country has their own Tim Kuik) do have an influence on what you can and can not see on the internet.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I love this :D just makes me feel even better that i can still easily access the site and download what i want through simple proxy means.

Plus now that its blocked i want to use the site even more :rolleyes: Great advertising for TPB, IRMA IDIOTS

Well yeah for us more tech savy heads, and then a simple google search for a casual user will allow them total access also.

I'm just talking with SiliconeRepublic briefly, they are going to look into it this morning to see what is what. They hopefully have a line into UPC to get some comment. UPC Twitter support stonewalling me.

It would appear that some people are affected, and others arn't, which is weird.

It might be worth at this point refraining from providing ways to circumvent the block at this point, I'm sure moderators will have a view on that, and I dont want the thread closed. And granted anyone with half a brain cell can google search.

Out of interest no matter what link I type in for TPB, it takes me to thepiratebay.se , their new main domain from some time ago. Few friends saying they can't get anything on this link, bar the block order, but it doesnt go to ".se"

Seems to be working fine for me currently.

While you still have TPB, the entire collection of TPB can be downloaded in a 90MB file. Albeit, the file was uploaded in February.

Still, might be worth downloading.

Direct Magnet link:
    <SNIP>

• Advertisement

Seriously,

Stop posting links and workarounds. Considering boards its OTT with the Sherlock legislation not in effect yet, youll get the thread locked,

Everyone knows about workarounds, and everyone should know about the magnet backups, they dont need to be posted

Advertisement