Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Asbestos

Options
  • 13-05-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello Folks, I was removing a storage heater out of my Kitchen to make way for the plumber to install a new central heating radiator and while in the process noticed this material on the back of the storage heater and would like to know if it could be asbestos?

I checked the model number online which is the Dimplex XL24N and going by the list of ones that may contain asbestos this model was not on the list however would like to know if other type of material was used on these storage heater to prevent fire etc? The material did break up so a bit concerned of what was in it. Many thanks in advance :(. I have attached some photos of it so some of you may be familiar to what it could be.

IMAG1945.jpg

IMAG1946.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ihavethepower

i don't think it is, i remember throwing out storage heaters, trying to empty them because they were so heavy and it seemed to be a type of ceramic for deflecting the heat

It seems to be any pre-1975 heres the list http://mesotheliomalungs.org/storage_radiators.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

What year was it put in do you know? The grey asbestos isnt that bad. But blue and pink asbestos is the really harmful one. The grey the body can remove over time but with the other two its there for good.

Looking at the picture it doesnt have the grey look of asbestos. Also asbestos you can generally clearly see the fibers on it which you cant in your picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 John317

I checked that list but this heater seems to be around 1980 on, It seems to be plaster board type material I only looked it up afterwards that some of the older models contained asbestos so was getting me worried :(

The colour of this material is a cream colour, I have a close up shot of the area broken up, this heater would have been installed after 1980. I did not realise what they could contain after I had it removed :(

IMAG1947.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Thats not asbestos, but it is a fire retardant barrier. Wear a dust mask when removing any old appliance where you are breaking it up. The fine dust which accumulates over decades is unhealthy to breathe due to any amount of gack in it.

'cpt

I think your alright, its the same stuff that was in the ones i got rid of and those storage heaters went in late eighties/early nineties

Thanks for your help folks you've put my mind at ease, I will be using a mask for doing that work from now on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I would guess that the material in that heater is Vermiculite insulation board, harmless and inert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I have three storage heaters to be removed. I have no idea how old they are and I went to dismantle them yesterday. After opening one to remove the bricks and seeing the insides I thought to check if there was a risk of asbestos. Unfortunately I do not have a model number for the heater I opened, it must have fallen off sometime ago. The two I haven't opened are "Electrical Industries of Ireland HC3000" which I is not listed on any of the asbestos containing model lists. These are a different model to the one I opened.

Pictures of the one I opened are below.
    263240.jpg

263241.jpg

I don't know what to do next. Maybe get someone in to test it for asbestos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Found a product number for pictured heater and its a Unidare WM724 which is on the non asbestos containing list. Phew!!! Still no idea about the Electrical Industries of Ireland HC3000. Can't find it mentioned anywhere online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bookem Danno

Would anyone know if this one had asbestos please?

Would anyone know if this one had asbestos please?

Can you see a model name and number on it?

Also this panel was inside in front of the bricks

Afraid not with the number, but its a unidare

Advertisement