Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diesel Motorcycle Project

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Know the Irish Government if it caught on they would want a D.O.E on the bike every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Thats just fcuking wrong on so many levels. It takes the dream out of the super and turns it into a nightmare/sick joke. The honda 250/400 twins could go forever on the smell of an oily rag. Diesel bike, = rather walk, even a stick and a hoop would be more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

yeah but is daaaysul laad!! given the current irish motorist's obsession with small capacity diesels i reckon it'll catch on, (i wouldnt be seen dead on it)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

If everything was the same,then life would be boring.

Nice to see people try different things and be different to the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The US military have used Kawasaki KLR650's converted to diesel for years.

For an uber-commuter it'd be brilliant.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had a spin on a Royal Enfield with a supercharged Hatz diesel fitted, it went well for a classic bike with a relatively small diesel engine.
    I think they will be used more often in the future but they will have to be very economical to beat the likes of an ANF125i
    Maybe best in a bigger bike like this...
    http://www.dieselmotorfiets.nl/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

CJhaughey wrote: »

.... gone out of business. ..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

galwaytt wrote: »
    .... gone out of business. ..
    Yes, I remember the guy talking about the bike, people were saying its too heavy. he was saying its comparable to the competition (BMW).
    Instead of going bigger and heavier they should be looking at lightness and economy.
    If you can get 120mpg from an off the shelf Honda why would anyone buy a thirsty slow and heavy diesel unless it was significantly better?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Yes, I remember the guy talking about the bike, people were saying its too heavy. he was saying its comparable to the competition (BMW).
    Instead of going bigger and heavier they should be looking at lightness and economy.
    If you can get 120mpg from an off the shelf Honda why would anyone buy a thirsty slow and heavy diesel unless it was significantly better?

Indeed. And I saw over 70 mpg out of a rented BMW F800R a while ago.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

150906_10151335806647508_1443522439_n.jpg
    at the tribes rally a couple years ago,
    two homemade efforts, don't have a pic of the cruiser conversion,
    even though it looks rough it worked well, some sound of them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »
    The US military have used Kawasaki KLR650's converted to diesel for years.

For an uber-commuter it'd be brilliant.

IIRC there should be a good few diesel bikes around now. NATO went dual fuel a few years ago and petrol wasn't one of them, so there will be ex army diesels coming on stream whenever they start replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,361 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Twenty years ago I thought of putting a Daihatsu diesel lump in a BMW frame. The engine was a little gem - triple, twincam, turbo, 60bhp, and the rev range matched the BMW gearing almost perfectly.
    Never happened though; too much else to be getting on with. Then a few years ago I discovered some Germans had done exactly that - not just one or two of them, but several, and were running around quite happily on them.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭chopper666

There was lovely hardtail chopper with a diesel engine out of a cement mixer in BSH magazine years, I seen it in the flesh at the bulldog bash a couple of years ago and it looked fantastic. I'll try and post a picture of it.

Advertisement