Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homosexuality in Public - Discussion

Options
  • 05-05-2005 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭

Yeah iv gotta agree with the last post. No gay person can honestly find hetrosexuality repulsive and I do feel they should accept that hetrosexuality is the way nature intended it.

Also the fact that such a proportion of society views men holding hands (or more) as 'uggg' is probably the reason why if its going to be done it should be done in private.

Also in reference to an earlier post (on page 4) I would love to hear an answer on how homosexuals feel looking at a straight couple making out etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Word of Warning: Please remember the original premise of this thread which was for people to ask various questions and get answers etc. I would not like to see a thread I started way back when, turn into another futile debate on whether homosexuality is natural/legit/genetic etc. Some people are ok with homosexuality and some are not. Try and get them to see your viewpoint but don't ram your opinion down their fcking throat ! Or start another thread and continue the arguments there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

LiouVille wrote:
    And i have the right to frown upon you. You have a deep mis understanding about sexuality, it is a shame you are unwilling to open yourself up to the truth, maybe one day, when you do meet someone who is gay the truth will dawn on you. For now I merely pitty you.

I'm afraid if thats your only response, you're the one that needs pity, for yourself being unwilling to open up to the truth - no matter how understanding everyone is of being gay, no matter how little you care or how much you are accepted in your social surrounding - homosexuality is both biologically and socially wrong - the social side of it I have no doubt is debatable.

And what am I suppose to open up to? Whats the "big truth" you speak of? That gay is alright? That gay people and straight people are equal? They are equal as people yes, but in their choosen (or pre decided) sexual preference they are not and never will be equal. I am very tolerant of Gay people and I try my best to make sure I am not judgemental in person, regardless of what I genuinely think in my mind.

From what you are saying, you'd imagine I'm going to meet a gay man someday and say "Hell yeah, what have I been missing" :rolleyes:

You need to grow up, and YOU need to realise that its you thats "unwilling to open up to the truth"

padser wrote:
    would love to hear an answer on how homosexuals feel looking at a straight couple making out etc

"Oh look a couple making out, oh look there's football on the telly, oh look it's happy hour"

I wouldn't see any difference between a same sex or hetero couple making out. If they were being very physical in a very public space I'd tell em to get a room no matter gay or straight. If they are being all cute and romantic I'd probably go "awwww" possibly followed by a mental comment like "lucky bastards".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Also in reference to an earlier post (on page 4) I would love to hear an answer on how homosexuals feel looking at a straight couple making out etc

In my presence it can be annoying, like any couple making out while your trying to have a drink with them. Nothing worse then going somewhere with a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

padser wrote:
    I am a homosexual & I have no problem whatsoever when I see a hetrosexual couple kissing in the street. Moreover I feel a sense of envy that I "feel" I cannot do the same with my boyfriend. It is in no way, me being uncomfortable with my sexuality, rather, I do not wish to be the topic of prying eyes & more seriously put myself in physical danger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

If you're straight are you allowed to listen to the Pet Shop Boys? ;)

If you're straight are you allowed to listen to the Pet Shop Boys? ;)

Yes, but no kylie.

Oh for fcks sake joe, way to go taking another fcking thread way off topic. Have you examined why you end up getting completely wound up in every thread in this forum? Seriously guy, go back and look at your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

LiouVille wrote:

you have no right to tell people where they can and cannot kiss or hold hands.

on that point in a sense i beg to differ. what people choose to do in their own time is, in a sense, their own business. However your average joe has a right to walk down the street without seeing something that repulses them.

Its the same reason why its illegal to walk naked down grafton st. it offends public morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

homosexuality is both biologically and socially wrong - the social side of it I have no doubt is debatable.

All sorts of animals have gay sex. Only humans play tennis. Tennis is unnatural.

(think I read that somewhere on these forums (edit: yea, its from here.)... sorry for ripping it off, but it's well put I think).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

padser wrote:
    However your average joe has a right to walk down the street without seeing something that repulses them.

Who is this average joe whereof you speak? Do you speak for the entire public?

damien.m wrote:
    Oh for fcks sake joe, way to go taking another fcking thread way off topic. Have you examined why you end up getting completely wound up in every thread in this forum? Seriously guy, go back and look at your posts.

Fair enough, I've removed off topic comments.

Who is this average joe whereof you speak? Do you speak for the entire public?

No obviosly not the entire public....but enough that we are still a majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Banterville

padser wrote:
    on that point in a sense i beg to differ. what people choose to do in their own time is, in a sense, their own business. However your average joe has a right to walk down the street without seeing something that repulses them.

Its the same reason why its illegal to walk naked down grafton st. it offends public morality.

Here Here, i say!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Padser, why don't you come back and post on this topic again when you've considered why you're offended when two guys hold hands on the street. You use the word "repulses", which is a pretty charged term...

If you feel that strongly, how can you gain anything from posting on this thread? Isn't the whole point to ask questions in order to gain more understanding, and thereby increase acceptance or perhaps see things through someone elses eyes?

What are you trying to accomplish, other than upset the other posters with your trolling? There's a huge difference between holding someone's hand and parading around naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Here Here, i say!

Nice postcount.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

padser wrote:
    However your average joe has a right to walk down the street without seeing something that repulses them.
    You know what used to repulse some people in America? Black people using the same facilities as white people. Since white people made up the greater percentage of the population, they would be your "average joe" I'm sure. Therefore, by your esteemed logic, Rosa Parks, that brave girl who refused to give up her bus seat, should never have acted out and just stoop up meekly? I shouldn't think so.
    Not the same at all. See above. This thread is for asking questions about homosexuality and I'm this close *separates fingers by a miniscule amount* to splitting it off. I'm also asking you to respect the tone of the thread and not be inflammatory, okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Banterville

Moridin,

RE: "nice postcount"

I didn't know that you had to have some 600 odd posts before you can have an opinion on this site,

but hey, there is a first time for everything as you must have found out in the past!!! :mad:

Please do just split this off.

i wasnt aware that voicing what i would regard as a legitimite opinion could be regarded as inflametary???

Also please elaborate on how i have disrepected the 'tone of this thread'. Almost everything iv said has already been said before, please refer back to page 4.

Morodin: im sorry if the word repulses seems to be a bit too 'charged' for you. I was trying to convey the message that it is more then a 'slight irratation' as was suggested previously. the reason i am posting is in response to comments about 'holding hands with boyfriends' in public which i regard as inappropriate especially in situations where children might be present.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thread split off.
    padser wrote:
    the reason i am posting is in response to comments about 'holding hands with boyfriends' in public which i regard as inappropriate especially in situations where children might be present.
    Argh - why is it inappropriate in situations with children? And again could you address my point about how it used to socially unacceptable, and frowned upon, for black people to use services frequented by white people but now it's seen differently.

padser wrote:
    the reason i am posting is in response to comments about 'holding hands with boyfriends' in public which i regard as inappropriate especially in situations where children might be present.

I was waiting for the thread ot be split before replying. Damien this is why I get wound up in threads like these. I get angry at suggestions like this and I get pissed off but more then that it hurts reading stuff like this, and i reply far too quickly, but I am trying to cut down, so please, a little slack would be nice.

Ixoy: yeah ok ill reply to the 'used to be socially unnacceptable point'.

Also can u explain what 'splitting off a thread' means?? im not too long a member of boards.

I find your analogy with blacks to be slightly flawed. I am not suggesting that gays should have a different legal status at all. Whats done beind closed doors between consenting adults i may not agree with but is in a way none of my business.

However if young impressionable children a walking down a street they should have their innocence preserved and shoud not have homosexuality shoved in their face. thats one of the main reasons i would object to hmomsexuals walking down a street holding hands.

Holding hands is not shoving anything in anybodies face. Also children are innocent, most would see nothing wrong with two males holding hands. Watch the teletubbies, to see that. If you see two women holding hands does it bother you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

padser wrote:
    However if young impressionable children a walking down a street they should have their innocence preserved and shoud not have homosexuality shoved in their face. thats one of the main reasons i would object to hmomsexuals walking down a street holding hands.
    Oh so showing signs of affection for someone you care about is perversion is it? // also it is common place in other cultures (eg saudi-arabia, for grown men, straight men, to walk down the street hand in hand)

I know many people, mostly straight, I've never gotten a negitive reaction from any of them when I tell them I'm gay, or I turn up to a gathering with a male date, be it a family gathering or formal ball... even some work parties.

My 7yr old nephew knows I'm gay and has no issue with it either.

You really should climb out from under your rock sonny and join the rest of us in modern life. *hugs n kisses!*

Lets have a little bit of a more detailed look at saudi arabian laws and see if you really want to use that culture as an example to follow.

http://www.365gay.com/newscon05/04/040705saudi.htm

there are plenty more examples of ridiculas social norms in SA.

LiouVille; i wouldnt have the same problem with two women 'linking arms' as that doesnt necessarily mean they are gay. However i would have the same problem with them being openly gay in front of children.

Young children's minds are impressionable and therefore they need to be protected. However this is not the only problem. Gayness is something most people simply dont want to be confronted with on an everyday basis.

padser wrote:
    Young children's minds are impressionable and therefore they need to be protected. However this is not the only problem. Gayness is something most people simply dont want to be confronted with on an everyday basis.

two men holding hands does not mean they are gay either. As for children, the only impression they would get is that it's ok to be gay, something you're fearfull of. Also you have no choice but to deal with the fact that gay people exist, and most of us are not happy with hiding away in dark conors where none can see. Perhaps it is you that should stay at home. The world is changing and what you consider the norm, may not be so in afew years.

things may change but i think that people like me will ensure that its a slow process. someone needs to make a stand and say enough is enough. Legalising it was one thing but we shouldnt have to put up with it on an everyday basis. Its simply not fair on us, we deserve to be able to live our lives and go about our everyday lives without seeing things we simply dont want to see

I agree, It would be great to go through life without having to see or hear things I don't like, but I live in a democracy and as a result that's never going to happen. I'd like to walk don't a Dublin street holding hands with my boyfriend without the constant fear of abuse. Or people telling me I'm a danger to children. The simple things you take for granted you wish to deny us. A kiss good bye at the bus stop after a night out, holding hands in a movie, dancing together in a club. How would you feel if someone said you couldn't do these things.

• Advertisement

get a grip here,

of course you can dance together a club, im sure this happens in the george constantly????

Im sure you hold hands in the cinema when the lights are dimmed???

As for people telling you that you are a danger to children I do see your point that its a bit unfair to tar all homosexuals with the same brush however you must concede that the majority of paedophile's are in fact gay.

Advertisement