Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem setting up my wireless router with BT

• 12-05-2005 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭

I have bought the medion wireless lan router and set up everything. I've gone through every step to try and set up the IP address for it to access the net yet I'm getting no where. It can recognise the DSL signal coming into the modem but I can't activate it to get it running. I've went through every screen and also into Expert mode to see if I can assign an IP address but nothing.

Any ideas for a complete n00b on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Is your Wireless router also an aDSL modem, or are you using a ADSL modem connected to a wireless router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

it says with built in adsl and 56k modem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Make sure it's doing PPoE and that the username and password are correct. (I think BT still use passwords)

I dont need to use password. I'm on the business package so it's direct link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

try the following settings and see if it helps ...some third party routers have other settings as standard...

Encapsulation: PPPoE

Multiplexing: LLC Based

VPI: 8

VCI: 35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 barrymccaul

I'm having the same problem.
    as is this guy ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=255557&highlight=medion+router )

the default settings seem to be exactly what they are for the Netopia and EsatBB DSL routers...

ie. Encapsulation: PPPoE, Multiplexing: LLC Based, VPI: 8, VCI: 35

but when i go to the Status page the box has, it says it can't find a connection)
    it's flashing away as if it's trying to sync, but i don't think it's even getting to that stage... it looks as if it doesn't even think it has a DSL connection.

if i put the same RJ11 connection into the modem port (it supposed to be a modem and DSL router.. ) it picks up that fact no problem... and would probably let me dial if I tried... althougth with the DSL filter connection on the otehr end of the line, i'm not sure what would happen if it tried...

Anyway, somebody on the other thread said they had the exact same problem and gave up after a whole day of trying diff settings...

might just be a non starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

hmmm .. are you using your old phone cable or the supplied one (if it came with one) ?

Grasping at straws here, but have come across modems that had a diff pin config then normal phone line, e.g. outside pins one end- inside pins the othe, instead of straight through?

Just an Idea.. may save you bringing it back .. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stevejpk

Hi,
    I need help, please.
    I just got a Netopia router with Eircom. (Had the Iol BB first, worked ok for me), but having trouble with Netopia.
    My BT download rates are very slow, 3kB/s !!
    I read the post on pinholing, but I can't seem to find how to do it? if anyone can help, please, could do with a step by step
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

deevey wrote:
    hmmm .. are you using your old phone cable or the supplied one (if it came with one) ?

Grasping at straws here, but have come across modems that had a diff pin config then normal phone line, e.g. outside pins one end- inside pins the othe, instead of straight through?

Just an Idea.. may save you bringing it back .. ?

I used the cable that came with it. Seems exactly like a nomrmal phone cable under, uneducated, inspection.

Haven't tried it again today, but in one of the sections when you select "country" on the control panel, it changes the ISP to "EIR" something, not Eircom. May have nothing to do with it though.

Anybody have any luck yet? If I was to get my €110 back could someone recommend a replacement. May as well get a result from the thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

cosgrove80 wrote:
    Anybody have any luck yet? If I was to get my €110 back could someone recommend a replacement. May as well get a result from the thread :)

No, and you won't either - I bought one and spent about an hour on the "Helpline" listening to that irritating voice promising that the very next operator who became free would help me (and as we all know he is off playing pocket billiards, not earnestly trying to solve customer problems) and was told that it doesn't work for Ireland and to wait until they find a fix. I went through all of the above steps though first. Bah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

try configuring it through remote. My BT router HTML page had a link for PPPoE but it didnt work. Then I used putty to access it and i could configure it by a GUI menu there and it works fine now :)

could you explain that step by step?

right do you even have the IP of the router to hand
    If you do google putty download it then when you download it put the IP in the IP space then when you connect it will prompt you for the username and password and u fill them in then you should get a list of LAN, WAN, etc
    go to WAN
    and it will ask for all your providers settings then restart your router and then it should autoconnect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Sorry to drag this old post up but I still cant get this puppy to detect my ADSL connection.
    The router comes with its own configuration utility that allows you to specify dialing properties and the like but it just wont detect the line to start with.
    Using putty wont do anything that the routers internal config program wont do.
    I it nessisary to ring the broadband provider to configure the line in a particular way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

my By Broadband is doing something similar. the modem has a DSL sync but it wont connect to the internet "Connection error - Please verify and reenter the ISP username/password to try again.".

BT gave me my password and username but they dont work, and the modem wont connect.

Mine is a Netopia 3347W, (the wireless one that eircom give out).

Any ideas? Is there a problem at BT's end of things?

no there isnt.. most Wireless routers arent configured for PPPoE connections and you need to set that up yourself. You can set it up in 2 ways by Shell with PuTTy or by the web interface

I've still no joy using this I can send 2 screenshots and tried putty but havent a clue of what to do or how to use it. I don't have a username or password because I have a static IP and only need that to connect. Any ideas whats wrong? I still cant get the router to recognise my IP address just the default one assigned to that

kensutz wrote:
    I've still no joy using this I can send 2 screenshots and tried putty but havent a clue of what to do or how to use it. I don't have a username or password because I have a static IP and only need that to connect. Any ideas whats wrong? I still cant get the router to recognise my IP address just the default one assigned to that

So you can get an ASDL signal? (the light is green in internet.jpg) Is the light no longer flashing on the box itself?

Did the firmwire upgrade solve you signal problems?

No firmware upgrade still didn't let it recognise the IP address of it. My modem is working but it's just the IP recognition suck

Firmware update 1.02 is available to download from the medion.co.uk site.

It might help with peoples problems (although its not looking good for me at the moment :()

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wakaru

kensutz wrote:
    No firmware upgrade still didn't let it recognise the IP address of it. My modem is working but it's just the IP recognition suck

This might help:

Firmware 1.0.2

From Medion.co.uk Website when you enter 95038 as the MD number for the device. Providing this is the device you are talking about (at least that´s the one I got about a month ago from Aldi).

---
    Medion AG
    Firmware Update
    Win 2000/Win ME/Win XP
    Supply date 10.06.2005
    Made downloads 290

Firmware Update of the MD 95038 WLAN router.

This firmware update adds the IP Forwarding configuration function.
    Please ensure you read the installation guide below before using this file.

Information:
    Download the file and save it to your hard drive. Then run the downloaded file. The compressed files will be extracted to your hard drive. By default they will be extracted to C:\Medion (you can specify an alternative location if you wish). This folder will be created, if it does not exist.
    1. Open the One Click setup screen
    2. Click ‘Administration’
    3. Click ‘Upgrade’
    4. Browse to the location where you saved the file (C:\Medion or the alternative you specified)
    5. Select the firmware update file and click ‘Open’
    6. Click ‘Upgrade’
    7. The upgrade process will take 3-4 minutes
    Note:
    The downloaded file also contains installation instructions in a PDF file.

Important:
    For any errors, caused by the execution of this update, we don´ t accept any responsibility for damage or lost of data. The customer agrees with that fact by executing the update.
    ----

I bought the router, updated the firmware to from 1.0 to 1.0.1 and by then I had the ADSL activated in my line. The modem worked fine for a couple of days. Today I just cant connect with the router through its IP address (192.168.0.100). The DSL led is completely off. Medion Helpline contacted and as a result I will have to post the router back for a replacement.

Today I noticed there was a new firmware version but I could not upgrade my unit as it is not responding to its address.

Hopefully this new firmware will solve the issue for all of you (A least the v1.0.2 zipped firmware its about 500Kb bigger than v1.0.1, so there must be some important changes).

Anybody trying it post here their experiences please. I will have to get a replacement from Medion cause mine is useless at this moment.

I hope this helped ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bikelord

Have you tried a hardware reset to enable communication with the router?

There is a hole on the underneath side. Disconnect all cables apart from the power. Insert paperclip and keeping it pressed in remove power and then power it up again. All the lights on the front will flash quickly and you should be able to talk to it again.

THe latest firmware 1.0.2 Annexe A doesn't do it for me though!!!! The ADSL doesn't stop flashing.

Bikelord wrote:
    Have you tried a hardware reset to enable communication with the router?

There is a hole on the underneath side. Disconnect all cables apart from the power. Insert paperclip and keeping it pressed in remove power and then power it up again. All the lights on the front will flash quickly and you should be able to talk to it again.

THe latest firmware 1.0.2 Annexe A doesn't do it for me though!!!! The ADSL doesn't stop flashing.

I tried to reset it using that reset button at the base of the router, but I did not know that I should disconnect all the cables but the power. That explains why I did not notice any change while the reset button was being pressed O:-).

I´m afraid it is too late to try the right way now as the router is already in the post on its way to Swindon.

I hope it doesn´t take too long to get the replacement back! (In the hotline they said that could take up to 28 days in the worst scenario :-( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Martin100

Medion Wireless Router.
    Martin100 wrote:
    Well All,

I have posted this information on another forum area but I dont know if people here have seen this. I have had many informative talks with Medion and here are my findings for UK (england) Tiscali setup. For other ISP users maybe trying different settings might solve your problems as it did mine. Here are my findings:

contrary to my previous comments, this morning my Router stopped locking into the ADSL signal :mad: . I wasnt sure though that this might be because Tiscai were having problems with their broadband connection. Anyway I thought that I would check the ADSL connection settings and to my surprise I had inadvertantly set the Modulation to T1.413! For UK Tiscali it supposed to be G.DMT. So I put it back to G.DMT and all day it wouldnt lock on. So I changed it back to T1.413 and it locked in within 5 mins. :)

So I can confirm that the Tiscali settings (for me) are wrong. For those interested this is how I set up the connections:

Go to ADSL and click into Expert Mode. Set Modulation to T1.413 (or even ADI seems to work). Click apply and then go to Administration and press restart. Wait for about a min for the router to go through its warmup and then click into Status. I waited for up to 5 mins and then the ADSL light stopped flashing and remained on. Coinciding with this the Status showed a green light with internet connected.

So now everything workes again. I will get in touch with Medion tomorrow and report my findings. There is still something not right as the Tiscali Modulatiuon setting should be G.DMT. But at the moment it works. Hopefully later revisions of the Firmware will resolve these problems.

I would advise that ohers might like to try going through the Modulation settings in the same way as I did. Here are my Finding for Tiscali UK:

Auto ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)
    G.DMT ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)
    G SPAN ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)
    T1. 413 ADSL signal locks (continuous light)........Works
    G SPAN+ ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)
    G. LITE ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)
    ADI ADSL signal locks (continuous light) Works
    ALCATEL 1.4 ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)
    ALCATEL ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)

Maybe I could contact Tiscali to also ask then about this confusion in Modulation setup. Its an 0870 number though so Ill see what I can do.

Best of luck all,
    Martin

Tiscali is PPPoA i think
    BT is PPPoE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Martin100

Jakkass wrote:
    Tiscali is PPPoA i think
    BT is PPPoE

I think you are right and RFC 2364

The main point is though that my Tiscali quotes G.DMT or Auto and they dont work. What does work is T1.413

Medion were surprised by this as well

Regards,
    Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

I upgraded the firmware, tp 1.0.2 it makes some minor visible changes. Under Ireland in the ADSL tab you now have the options

BT ESAT
    IRECOM
    IRELAND ONLINE

My ADSL is provided by UTV, I have tried all three options and it fails to detect my ADSL line, it detects the modem line perfectly.

Has anyone spoken to UTV about this.

I got the router back last Friday (That was quick :-))

Working straightaway out of the box (firmware 1.0). Updated to 1.0.2 and kept working OK. No mayor changes observed (Only a few more ISP found in the One Click Configuration Panel).

For what it worth, my config is :

Access Mode: PPoA (RF 2364)
    Encapsulation: VC Multiplexed
    Modulation: G.DMT
    VPI: 0
    VCI: 38

By the way, I am with Virgin Broadband in the North of England.

So far so good, but I did not manage to get the wireless working when the WEP encryption is active. It works great when there is no WEP encryption though. No idea of the reason :-?

Upgraded Firmware DSL light is static but still can't get it to have the IP assigned.

• Advertisement

erm isnt it not on the HTML?? wierd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jetelec

Hopefully this may answer some of the setup problems people seem to be having.
    Specifically the problem in getting the Dial up modem to work.

The RJ11 cable and RJ11 to BT adapter that was supplied by Medion uses the wrong pin outs. BT uses pins 2 and 5 however what was supplied by medion uses pins 3 and 4 which is the reason why my modem did not work.

I have added a page to my Website which explains this.
    I have also included my Wireless and Lan settings which may be of use.

Click Here to go straight to the page

I understand that some people have managed to get their Dial up modems working, I would appreciate it if you could give me some feedback on how you are physically connected to the BT line. Or if the above fault is just specific to my setup.

After a phone call and email to Medion last week I am still waiting for a reply on what they intend to do to rectify this.

I have also posted this on other Boards

Jet Electronics
    WalkingForFun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Turboz

Hi all - just found this thread.

So, anyone get port forwarding working?

I got 56k working ok (Not tried ADSL yet as it's not enabled on the line) but port forwarding is dead. I have firmware 1.0.2 and it's junk.

I've called Medion and they say they're going to get back to me on Monday after they've tinkered with one of their units in the office and experimented (Honestly, you'd think a tech support dept would know their own products inside out wouldnt you?).

Medion certainly don't test out these wonderful features do they. I've even asked them to send me the source code for the firmware so I can fix it myself - Not surprisingly they refused my generous offer of assistance (Copyright excuse etc).

Anyone got port forwarding to work?

-T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Turboz

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

hey folks, apologies, I dont really wanna hijack the thread, but I dont really wanna start a new one too.

I am trying to get my Addon GWAR3000 aDSL router working on my BT bb. I can't...

screenshots are below and if anyone could help it would be appreciated.
    I know on the second picture I should set that to automatically get IP but when I do the thing crashes. so I dont :)

376277511a4299309422b758919199l.jpg
    376277511a4299309458b318065457l.jpg

Advertisement