Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> to hear peoples opinions on what can be viewed as
    > the most fundamental part of the origins of man

If you'd like to hear people's opinions, then I suggest that you look back over the threads you started earlier in the year, which are still available at the following URL's:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=238918
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=235658
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=235811
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=224944 (me started :))

BTW, just in the news last week, Michael Behe, a prominent creationist and member of the aggressively fundamentalist 'Discovery Institute', was in the dock in Dover last week for the "Scopes II" trial during which he claimed that, by redefining 'science' himself so that it could include his own creationism, that astrology becomes a "science" too:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8178

It wasn't the first time that Behe stuck his foot in it that week, either:

http://ydr.com/story/doverbiology/90481/

Different month, same old nonsense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I doubt you'll see a debate. For that you need differing views and I've yet to actually meet somebody (on or offline) who supports creationism.

IMO prophesy has nothing to offer, as curiously it's meaning is always vague until after the event that was "prophesized".

Why are you posting for others' opinions without giving your own? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Not this again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Quote Robin
    BTW, just in the news last week, Michael Behe, a prominent creationist and member of the aggressively fundamentalist 'Discovery Institute', was in the dock in Dover last week for the "Scopes II" trial during which he claimed that, by redefining 'science' himself so that it could include his own creationism, that astrology becomes a "science" too:

Could I gently point out that Michael Behe is a believer in Intelligent Design i.e. the design of life by forces unknown over an undefined period of time.
    He is therefore certainly neither a “creationist“ nor a Creation Scientist.
    In fact, the Intelligent Design Movement is a breakaway EVOLUTIONIST GROUP that is somewhere on the faith spectrum between atheistic evolutionists and theistic evolutionists.
    I actually admire the efforts of the Intelligent Design proponents to give some logical and intellectual credibility to evolution by at least recognising that the complexity of life and the extreme specificity of it’s design is such that it’s production cannot be accounted for by undirected physical processes.

It is quite ironic that the current Dover School court case in Harrisburg PA is being billed as a ‘contest between Creation and Evolution’ – when in fact it is merely a dispute among two different types of evolutionists – the ‘Moronic Design’ proponents who believe that muck just happened to evolve into Man and the ‘Intelligent Design’ proponents who believe that (an undefined) intelligence played some (undefined) part in the process.

According to the New Scientist article on the Dover School Case, the US National Academy of Sciences defines a scientific theory as “a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the Natural World that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences and tested hypotheses.”
    This very limited definition fails to add that it must also be precisely defined and repeatably testable using objectively verifiable means – otherwise nobody will know what they are talking about and whatever they may think they are talking about can never be proven.

However, if we use the above very limited definition of a scientific theory, evolution still fails miserably when compared even with it!!!!!

For example, what “facts, laws, inferences or tested hypotheses” indicate that muck could EVER evolve into Man.

Equally, what “facts, laws, inferences or tested hypotheses” can satisfactory answer any of the following valid scientific questions in relation to evolution?

1. Have we observed any mechanism spontaneously generating life – it should still be there somewhere if Evolution is true?
    2. How can life be generated spontaneously if the random production of the critical amino acid SEQUENCE for an essential protein is a MATHEMATICAL impossibility?
    3. If the SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) radio telescopes were to pick up the DNA code for an Amoeba being transmitted from a distant point in our galaxy, evolutioists would definitively conclude that they had found proof of extraterrestrial intelligence – so why do evolutionists not conclude that the Amoeba’s own DNA code, is also proof of intelligence AKA God?
    4. If evolution is ongoing there should be millions of intermediate forms everywhere among both living and fossil creatures. Why has not even ONE continuum ever been observed among either living or fossil creatures for a functioning useful structure?
    5. Why do our Mitochondrial DNA sequences (which are inherited in the female line i.e. 100% from our mothers) show that all human beings are originally descended from ONE woman?
    6. Why do our Y-chromosome sequences (which are inherited in the male line i.e. 100% from our fathers) show that all men are originally descended from ONE man?
    7. How do you explain the random (non-intelligent) design and production of observed biochemical systems at atomic levels of resolution that outclass the largest and most sophisticated manufacturing abilities of mankind?
    8. How do you explain the random (non-intelligent) design of the observed levels of interlinked complexity and functionality within living systems that are multiple orders of magnitude greater than out most powerful computer systems?
    9. Why do some scientists continue to believe that the Human Genome was an ”accident of nature” – while they know that the super computers and gene sequencers that they had to use to decode it, were created through the purposeful application of intelligent design?
    10. Why do we observe great perfection and genetic diversity in all species when “dog eat dog” Evolution would predict very significant levels of “work in progress” and the bare minimum of diversity necessary for the short-term survival of the individual?
    11. Why is the only mechanism postulated by Evolution to produce genetic variation – genetic mutation – invariably damaging to the genome resulting in lethal and semi lethal conditions most of the time?
    12. Any putative ‘evolving organism’ is statistically just as likely to be taking two “critical amino acid sequence” steps backwards for every one step forwards, as it is to be going the other way around. If ALL critical amino acid sequences except the CORRECT one will confer NO advantage – how can a population “work up” to the correct critical amino acid sequence through “genetic drift” or Natural Selection ?
    13. Why do we observe that all living systems use pre-existing SOPHISTICATED complex biochemical systems and bio-molecules to produce SIMPLE bio-molecules – and not the other way around, if Evolution is true?
    14. How do you explain the origins of DNA when the production of DNA is observed to require the pre-existence of other DNA / RNA and a massively complex array of other biochemical “machinery”?
    15. Why have we never observed any species to actually INCREASE genetic information over time if “upwards and onwards” Evolution is in action out there?
    16. With odds in excess of 10 to the power of 1,800,000,000 against the production of the nucleic acid sequence of the Human Genome by accident – how do you explain it’s existence using random chance Evolution when the number of electrons in the known universe are only 10 to the power of 82?
    17. Why is it claimed that the 1953 Miller-Urey experiment shows how life's building blocks may have formed on Earth - when conditions on the early Earth were probably nothing like those used in the experiment, and the origin of life remains a scientific mystery?
    18. What is the evolutionary explanation for the "Cambrian explosion," in which all major animal groups appear together in the fossil record fully formed instead of branching from a common ancestor - thus contradicting the evolutionary tree of life?
    19. Why is it claimed that beak changes in Galapagos finches during a severe drought can explain the origin of species by natural selection - even though the changes were reversed after the drought ended, and no net evolution occurred?
    20. Why is it claimed that fruit flies with an extra pair of wings is evidence that DNA mutations can supply raw materials for evolution - even though the extra wings have no muscles and these disabled mutants cannot survive outside the laboratory?
    21. Why are artists' drawings of apelike humans used to justify materialistic claims that we are just animals and our existence is a mere accident - when fossil experts cannot even agree on who our supposed ancestors were or what they looked like?

Quote The Atheist
    I doubt you'll see a debate. For that you need differing views and I've yet to actually meet somebody (on or offline) who supports creationism.

This is your LUCKY DAY!!!

I'm amazed that you haven’t met at least one Creation Scientist (on or offline) – there are many out there!!!!

Michael Behe certainly isn’t one – BUT I AM!!!

BTW did you know that God doesn’t BELIEVE in Atheists?!!!!

In fact, Jesus Christ died so that YOU TOO could spend eternity with Him in Heaven. All you need to do is to stop believing in the plainly ridiculous idea that people are ultimately descended from muck, repent of your sins and believe on the ONLY person who can save you, Jesus Christ.

I too used be an evolutionist.
    I was lost, but now I have found Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savour.

Over and Out!!

> This is your LUCK DAY!!!

Hey, JC, my man, long time and you never write or call! Anyhow, while I'd be talking through my straw hat to say that it's good to see you, it's hardly surprising you've turned up now that I've dropped it!! I'm delighted to see as well that the exclamation key on your keyboard hasn't fallen off yet!!! Actually, if it does, you can get a new one like this:

http://www.fotosearch.com/IST198/v3059005/

Hope this might help you with your online evangelism!!!!

Actually, why don't you try over in the biology forum, since I suppose, strictly speaking, biology is a biological matter:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=392

Enjoy!!!1111 <darn shift-key's gone broke1>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

J C wrote:
    In fact, Jesus Christ died so that YOU TOO could spend eternity with Him in Heaven. All you need to do is to stop believing in the plainly ridiculous idea that people are ultimately descended from muck, repent of your sins and believe on the ONLY person who can save you, Jesus Christ.

I don't recall having to give up mucky evolutionary ideas had anything to do with Christian repentance and salvation. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I don't recall having to give up mucky evolutionary ideas had anything to do with Christian repentance and salvation.

The Bible clearly states what Jesus says in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me."

Now, what does this have to say about Evolution?

Basically, Genesis starts with "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." as we all know, (or should know :D). Genesis, being the FIRST page of the Bible, must be very important, being the first page and all!!! Now, The Bible is Jesus book, right? And if you choose to believe in Evolution, sure you are contradicting that very first passage, eh? That renders you not fully accepting the truth of Jesus.

Sounds harsh, doesn't it. Well it is. It is tough cookies. Jesus made the rules - not me, not you. So to believe in Jesus Christ - you gotta believe in his every word, and that every word can be found in The Bible.

For here is something else that Jesus had to say: "You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose the easy way" (Matthew 7:13). Now for me, that empowers me to think deeply - it is easy to cherrypick from ideas of evolution and The Bible, but look at what that statement says about the consequences of it.

Food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

you guys are so off the mark with your fairly reasonable scientific argument then followed up by your 'jesus is your salvation' nonsense. Funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Sounds harsh, doesn't it. Well it is. It is tough cookies. Jesus made the rules - not me, not you. So to believe in Jesus Christ - you gotta believe in his every word, and that every word can be found in The Bible.

Danno, he did not write the Bible, you can attribute the concepts and laws to him, but the bible was written by ordinary people.

I am an editor, people often misunderstand the meaning and write the wrong word down, not to mention the translation problems faced when putting this great work together. I think you need to give a little leeway to the idea that the bible is correctly written down word for word. We have a saying in my industry, unless the author signs off on the final product, it ain`t the final product. I don`t see God`s signature. I believe you should have a lot more flexibility when it comes to interpreting your good book on a word for word basis. I am also not sure where the cookies enter the equation:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Danno wrote:
    all!!! Now, The Bible is Jesus book, right? And if you choose to believe in Evolution, sure you are contradicting that very first passage, eh? That renders you not fully accepting the truth of Jesus.

Bible - Author Jesus? The bible is a selection of texts by people who are/were the power that be in christianity, so its not really the word of God, more the words of God as selected by man. Not the worlds best catholic here but it always strikes me as weird when people try to apply a book as old as the bible to modern day science.

• Advertisement

J C wrote:
    This is your LUCKY DAY!!!
    Whoo hoo!

You're not wrong - just check out the spirituality and humanities forum today - it's like all my secular Christmases' have come at once! ;)
    J C wrote:
    I wouldn't blame him - if I can't see him - he can't see me!

I'm quite impressed with some of those intelligent design arguments. Some I've come across before, some are new. Food for thought without a doubt. My problem is the leap from accepting Intelligent Design, to defining that designer in our comfortable human terms.

If I wander down the street and find a cheesecake lying on the ground, will I say: "my wife makes cheesecake - she MUST have made this!" Or do I say: "Okay, I know that somebody made this but I have no way of knowing who - especially as there are many people who claim to make cheesecake".

I'm content in the ignorance. On the contrary a solution that I feel has been reached by jumping to conclusions gives me no satisfaction whatsoever.

:)

Quote Robin
    Actually, why don't you try over in the biology forum, since I suppose, strictly speaking, biology is a biological matter:

In actual fact, my comments about evolution were in response to YOUR statement in relation to Dr Michael Behe that he was a creationist.

In any event, this thread is in part a discussion about ‘origins’ – which by definition touches upon both faith (in the case of evolution) and science (in the case of Creation Science). Both the Christianity Forum and the Biology Forum are therefore equally suitable sites to host this debate.

ALL discussion of evolution has been banned on the sceptics forum (amazing stuff for an outfit that supposedly prides themselves on questioning EVERYTHING) – but biologists are quite free to ‘teleport’ themselves and their viewpoints onto this thread if they so wish.

Quote athena 2000
    I don't recall having to give up mucky evolutionary ideas had anything to do with Christian repentance and salvation

You are correct that strictly speaking (as St. Paul confirmed to his jailer in Acts16:31) all that you need to do is “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved” (NIV).

However, I would classify the repudiation of a belief in ‘muck to Man evolution’ and the acceptance of II Tim 3:16 that “All Scripture (including Genesis 1 & 2) is God-breathed” as being reasonable manifestations (even if they are not actual causes) of a person’s Christianity.

Quote Asiaprod
    He (God) did not write the Bible, you can attribute the concepts and laws to him, but the bible was written by ordinary people.
    I am an editor, people often misunderstand the meaning and write the wrong word down, not to mention the translation problems faced when putting this great work together. I think you need to give a little leeway to the idea that the bible is correctly written down word for word.

Jesus Christ confirmed both the veracity and the importance of EVERY WORD in the Bible in Mt 4:4 when He said “It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on EVERY WORD that comes from the mouth of God.” (NIV)
    The fact that ALL SCRIPTURE (i.e. the entire Bible) is “God breathed” is also confirmed in II Tim 3:16.

The Creator God of the Universe is quite capable of ensuring that “the bible was correctly written down word for word” (by ordinary people) – and He has PERSONALLY assured us that this is the case in Mt 4:4 above.

God is also more than capable of ensuring that His Word isn’t subsequently corrupted by sinful Mankind and this is confirmed in Prov 30:5-6 which states that “EVERY word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you AND PROVE YOU A LIAR”.

Quote Asiaprod
    We have a saying in my industry, unless the author signs off on the final product, it ain`t the final product. I don`t see God`s signature.

If you are a Christian (i.e. a person saved by faith in Jesus Christ) you will have already committed yourself to believing everything that Jesus has said – including the fact that He is God and that He ‘signed off’ on the veracity of the Bible – see Mt 4:4 above.

Quote Asiaprod
    I am an editor, people often misunderstand the meaning and write the wrong word down

The fact that we cannot believe everything that we read in newspapers, is certainly no reason to doubt the infallible Word of God in the Bible!!!!

Quote Green Hell
    Bible - Author Jesus? The bible is a selection of texts by people who are/were the power that be in christianity, so its not really the word of God, more the words of God as selected by man.

See my answers to Asiaprod above.

Quote Green Hell
    Not the worlds best catholic here but it always strikes me as weird when people try to apply a book as old as the bible to modern day science

God and His Word are ETERNAL and INFALLIBLE – “modern day science” is neither!!!

Quote jtsuited
    you guys are so off the mark with your fairly reasonable scientific argument then followed up by your 'jesus is your salvation' nonsense. Funny!

I am glad that I brought a smile to your face!!!

I am a man of both faith and science.

Robin raised a scientific issue and I gave a scientific answer.

The Atheist proclaimed a belief in the non-existence of God – and indeed Creation Scientists. I made a faith-based response in reply to these proclamations.

> Michael Behe is [...] neither a "creationist" nor a Creation Scientist.

Ah, JC, you're such a dote!

Anyhow, just to put you right on this minor point of fact -- do feel free to check out Michael Behe's profile over in the Discovery Institute. You'll remember that this institution produced, then unfortunately leaked, its famous Wedge Document, which outlines the strategy by which they hope to force creationism, aka Intelligent Design, into American classrooms using all means at their considerable disposal. This unpleasant and deceitful tactical plan can be found all over the internet, including on the DI's site itself:

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?id=349

Take a look at the second "Governing Goal":

To replace materialistic explanations with the theistic understanding that nature and hurnan beings are created by God.

While this smells slightly of creationism to me, I'm sure there's a creationist alternative meaning which denies the obvious -- do let us know what it is!

Toodle-pip!

Quote The Atheist
    You're not wrong - just check out the spirituality and humanities forum today - it's like all my secular Christmases' have come at once!

Your belief that all of your “secular CHRISTMASES have come at once” reminds me of the story I once heard about an Irish Atheist who blamed God for all of his problems!!!!

Quote The Atheist
    Quote J C

I wouldn't blame him - if I can't see him - he can't see me!

God knows ALL about you because He is omnipresent and omniscient.

Just because you don’t see God doesn’t mean that He can’t see you!!!

There are many invisible forces in the Universe (both temporal and spiritual) that we cannot see – but which are nonetheless very real indeed!!!!

Quote The Atheist
    I'm quite impressed with some of those intelligent design arguments. Some I've come across before, some are new. Food for thought without a doubt. My problem is the leap from accepting Intelligent Design, to defining that designer in our comfortable human terms.

Are you sure that you are a REAL Atheist – and not just an IRISH one?!!!

I can assure you that the God of the Bible is the only God that I am aware of who ‘fits the bill’ when it comes to creating life and indeed the Universe.

The God of the Bible is the only God that I know of who has claimed to be a transcendent personal God who single-handedly created the Universe and all life therein in six days. He is also the only God that I am aware of who ‘fits’ every one of following proofs for His existence and many more besides:-

1. The fact that all ‘effects’ are observed to have a ‘cause’ of an equivalent magnitude means that the ‘biggest effect of all’ (the creation of all matter, time and space) must also have an equally big ‘cause’ and only God is capable of being this ‘Ultimate Cause’.
    2. The fact that all processes in the Universe work like clockwork, and precision machines are invariably observed to have an intelligent maker means that there is a ‘clockmaker of the Universe’ – and He is God.
    3. The fact that all energy in the Universe is ‘winding down’ means that some all-powerful ‘entity’ must have ‘wound it up’ – again the only possible solution is an all-powerful God acting outside of the physical laws of the Universe.
    4. The fact that life shows massive amounts of purposeful information and information is invariably observed to ultimately have an intelligent source proves that a massive intelligence aka God created it.
    5. The fact that no increase in genetic information has ever been observed in living organisms indicates that all of life was created with the same or more genetic information than it now possesses. Because it has been mathematically proven that undirected processes cannot produce the precise bio-molecules required for life only God could do that.
    6. The fact that life has never been observed to arise spontaneously means that it must have been created and the only plausible ‘Creator’ is God

He also happens to be the only God that I am aware of who loved you and me personally so much that He humbled Himself to take on our Human nature and to suffer the most horrible death imaginable in perfect atonement for ALL of our sins. All that He asks of us is that we turn to Him and repent of our sins – which is literally ‘nothing’ in comparison with what He has done for us.

Quote The Atheist
    If I wander down the street and find a cheesecake lying on the ground, will I say: "my wife makes cheesecake - she MUST have made this!" Or do I say: "Okay, I know that somebody made this but I have no way of knowing who - especially as there are many people who claim to make cheesecake".

There is only ONE God who has even claimed to be CAPABLE of making this particular “cheesecake” (the Universe and all life therein)!!!!

Quote The Atheist
    I'm content in the ignorance. On the contrary a solution that I feel has been reached by jumping to conclusions gives me no satisfaction whatsoever.

Nobody should be happy in ignorance - as a Creation Scientist I get a great “buzz” from reviewing all of the latest scientific breakthroughs in proving the existence of God and His Special Creation of the Universe and all life therein in six days!!!!

Quote Robin
    Ah, JC, you're such a dote!

And you’re also a wonderful Human Being yourself Robin.

Jesus Christ loves you more than anybody else possibly could – and all you need to do is to believe on Him and repent of your sins.

He is standing at your door and knocking!!!

Quote Robin
    Take a look at the second "Governing Goal" (of the Discovery Institute):

To replace materialistic explanations with the theistic understanding that nature and hurnan beings are created by God.

While this smells slightly of creationism to me, I'm sure there's a creationist alternative meaning which denies the obvious -- do let us know what it is

Whatever about your olfactory sensibilities Robin, I can assure you that neither the Discovery Institute nor Dr Behe are creationists.

Their stated objective of replacing “materialistic explanations with the theistic understanding that nature and human beings are created by God” is fully in line with THEISTIC EVOLUTION.

The treatment meted out to Dr Behe by fellow evolutionists (of the secular variety) is indeed a salutary lesson for any other theistic evolutionists out there who are inclined to “cosy up” to their atheistic evolutionary colleagues.

Indeed a SECULAR EVOLUTIONIST Prof Richard Sternberg of the Smithsonian Institute who merely published a peer reviewed science paper by Dr Stephen C. Meyer of the Discovery Institute was almost sacked for doing so. The following extract from an Irish Times report of the incident shows the current state of academic freedom (and it incidentally also proves my point that Intelligent Design is NOT Creation Science):

Prof Richard Sternberg has two Ph.Ds, one in molecular biology and the other in theoretical biology. Until a year or so ago he divided his working time between the prestigious Smithsonian Institution in Washington, and the National Institutes of Health. He took on an unpaid post as editor of a small and somewhat obscure scientific journal. He decided to publish, after normal peer review processes, a paper by Stephen C. Meyer that made the case for "intelligent design".

After the article appeared in August 2004, all hell broke loose. All Richard Sternberg did was publish the paper. He himself is not convinced by intelligent design, but publication in itself was enough to cause mayhem.
    Within days of publication, senior scientists at the Smithsonian were calling him everything from a "crypto-priest" to a "sleeper cell operative for creationists".

Creationists believe that the earth came into being more or less as described in the poetic first lines of the Book of Genesis. They completely discount any evidence for evolution, and many of them believe that the earth is relatively young, perhaps less than 10,000 years old.
    It might appear that intelligent design is somewhat of a middle position between the extreme positions of atheistic Darwinists and the creationists.

Not according to the scientists who immediately sought to get Prof Sternberg fired for his temerity in letting "creationism" into a respectable journal.
    Given that for years neo-Darwinists had sneered at intelligent-design advocates for their failure to publish in peer-reviewed journals, it is somewhat odd that one of the first editors to accept a paper was immediately targeted for academic annihilation.
    And targeted he was, as attested to by the Office for Public Counsel, which is an independent federal investigative agency. It aims to protect federal employees from discrimination on the usual grounds such as race, religion and gender and has a particular role in the protection of whistleblowers from reprisals.
    It issued a report that found Prof Sternberg had been systematically smeared and his academic credentials questioned, and that the only thing that appeared to have saved him from being fired outright was the desire not to make him a martyr.
    The Office was able to access e-mail sent by many Smithsonian scientists. One senior scientist wrote: " We are evolutionary biologists, and I am sorry to see us made into the laughing stock of the world, even if this kind of rubbish sells well in backwoods USA".
    Everything about Prof Sternberg, who is a research assistant at the Smithsonian, was investigated by his colleagues to see if it could provide grounds for dismissal. Some even suggested using the fact that his sympathetic sponsor (supervisor) had died as an excuse to remove him.
    Among the black marks against him were that he withdrew an unusual amount of specimens for investigation and held on to them too long. Particularly suspicious, apparently, was the fact that he had withdrawn 50 books from the library.
    What might be construed as diligence in another context was now framed as deviance. Gradually, his position was made more and more difficult in the Smithsonian.
    The National Center for Science Education, a California think-tank that defends the teaching of evolution, was accused by the special counsel for the Office of orchestrating attacks on the professor, which it denies.
    However, the think-tank's executive director was quoted in the Washington Post in defence of the Smithsonian's investigation of Prof Sternberg's religious beliefs. Eugenie Scott said: "They don't care if you are religious, but they do care a lot if you are a creationist. Sternberg denies it, but if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it argues for zealotry."
    Unfortunately for Ms Scott, the evidence for zealotry seems to add up rather more strongly for those who opposed Prof Sternberg's decision to publish than it does for the man himself. On his website, the professor explains that his "failure" related to an unstated requirement in his role as an editor of a scientific journal.

The above Irish Times article has said it all and no further comment is necessary!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

conversely

1. have we observed any direct Godly actions ? If there was a God surely we would see manifestations in line with those in the Bible ?

2. If earth DNA is so complex, then surely the DNA needed to create an omnipotent intelligence would be even more complex ? (and therefore even less likely)
    3. if Seti were to pick up anything resembling intelligence, wouldn't that contradict the Biblical interpretation of the universe anyway?

etc. etc.

I think there is a hugely arrogant in the arguments made by creationists when they use current scientific abilities as being the zenith of human technology / learning. Of course science can't demonstrate or disprove the ability for life to spontaneously generate, or accurately measure genetic / evolutionary change in the miniscule timespans humans live for etc. As a species we've only been around for a insignificant time (whether millions or thousands of years) we understand an equally insignicant part of the big picture. Given the speed with which we have developed as a civilization, it may be millions more years before either humans (or our then evolved equivalent).

JC:
    6. The fact that life has never been observed to arise spontaneously means that it must have been created and the only plausible ‘Creator’ is God

To me that means we just haven't seen it happen yet or wouldn't be able to see / understand it even if we were looking at it.

> I can assure you that neither the Discovery Institute
    > nor Dr Behe are creationists.

Darn, I just knew that I must have misread and misunderstood that incriminating sentence in which they said that they were! Rats, my argument based only upon cheap and tatty observable facts instead of unimpeachable argument-from-authority has just gone up in flames!!

> The treatment meted out to Dr Behe by fellow evolutionists

Jeez, you just can't make this sh*t up, can you? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, as I've now become a creationist, having been swayed by JC's lucid (if slightly unreadable) prose, I'd like to share with everybody my NEW, INCONTROVERTIBLE argument which demonstrates the existence of GOD:

1. Take something heavy in your right hand and drop it onto the floor, and note the angle at which it hits the floor.

2. Lift up the object and repeat the experiment, noting the second angle.

3. Compare the two angles -- they're the SAME!!

This is incredible, because there's an infinity of angles that the object can fall at, but there's only one angle that it ACTUALLY falls at. Since the chances of the same angle happening twice are absolutely ZERO, therefore GOD must have directed the falling object, therefore HE exists!

Ah, it's all clear now! I understand!! Praise the LORD!!1 <damn, gone done and broke my exclamation mark again1111>

Please folks, none of the personal attacking drivel that will never conclude the argument...

Now RobinDCH, you have pointed out three very interesting observations, listed 1-2-3 above.

Onething that strikes me is the predictibility of the result - the same angle. Now for behaviour to exist, it must have rules to obey - otherwise chaos. Right?

Now, who would you say made the rules for gravity???

PS: "This is incredible, because there's an infinity of angles that the object can fall at, but there's only one angle that it ACTUALLY falls at. Since the chances of the same angle happening twice are absolutely ZERO, therefore GOD must have directed the falling object, therefore HE exists!"

The statement you made is pure drivel - read it word for word again! :D Clues: Chances and Twice

> Now for behaviour to exist, it must have rules to obey - otherwise chaos.

Good, now we're getting somewhere.

You seem to be happy that there is a not-immediately-visible something (which we'll call gravity 'gravity') which causes a physical process to choose one outcome over another one.

Same with what we'll call evolution -- things which are able to reproduce more successfully than others will spread faster throughout the environment, and possibly ultimately displace, other less-successful replicators. This is the not-immediately-visible, but in hindsight, quite obvious, something which governs the physical processes which give rise to life.

Creationists such as JC, Behe, Dembski and no doubt yourself, will happily deny this and insist (see JC's posting above), that evolution is 'random', when it is anything but random, instead being precisely directed.

> never conclude the argument...

The argument will never conclude because (for reasons I'd prefer not to speculate on) creationists are forced, by their selective reading and black'n'white fundamentalist interpretation, of certain bits of an ancient Sumerian legend, to support the belief that life and its diversity arose over the course of a week at the behest of an elderly man with a beard, and a ready line in smiting, who lives in the sky somewhere. They're simply not interested in any listening to any fact which dispose of this naive view, as the last round of creationism/evolution quite adequately showed.

• Advertisement

J C wrote:
    Are you sure that you are a REAL Atheist – and not just an IRISH one?!!!
    I'm dying to know - what's an Irish Atheist? :D
    J C wrote:
    I can assure you that the God of the Bible is the only God that I am aware of who ‘fits the bill’ when it comes to creating life and indeed the Universe.
    Herein lies my pickle.

If we (for the sake of argument) assume that life on earth could be nothing but intelligent design, what happens now? We look for the designer. You say only the God of the bible "fits the bill". I say - why are we limited to ticking a box on the list of world religions? Is it not as likely a supremely intelligent race passed through our solar system and planted the seeds of life? It's no less of a leap.

Belief in Intelligent Design and believe in the biblical God are exclusive beliefs. Both require different "proofs". It possible to believe in one while but not believing in the other. Proof of intelligent design is only proof of Intelligent Design. Trying to name your favorite god The Designer ultimately just shows your colours.

Heck we need a disbelievers forum NOW!!

> Intelligent Design

I think it's probably worth summarizing the Intelligent Design/Creationist fallacy at this point:
    1. Religious person looks at the world and can't understand how complexity arises.
    2. Religious person ignores general explanation based upon repeated observation and simple, general underlying principle, declaring that neither exist (well, they certainly don't in the text of the bible)
    3. Religious person declares that complexity was produced by bearded chap in sky.
    And I think that's about it.

This isn't to say, though, that ID is the dead end that it so often appears, or that it's failed to produce hot new research, which is an accusation unfairly levelled against both the ICR and the DI, both of whom employ PR outfits, but, strangely, have yet to publish any results in any scientific journals.

An unemployed physicist in the US, one Bobby Henderson, has produced a fascinating new speculative theory, fully in line with the stringent levels of proof that Intelligent Design requires and which has had quite a lot of coverage in the media recently. It's the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, with worldwide headquarters at:

http://www.venganza.org/

and I solemnly suggest that everybody reach out their hands to touch His Noodly Appendage. They're evangelists too:

http://www.venganza.org/spread/springfield.htm

Praise the Monster! Make ye known His Name amongst the Heathen!

> Heck we need a disbelievers forum NOW!!

http://www.venganza.org/forum/index.php

Glad to help!

robindch wrote:
    > Heck we need a disbelievers forum NOW!!

http://www.venganza.org/forum/index.php

Glad to help!
    Nooo. I mean one under the comforting umbrella of Boards.ie.

> under the comforting umbrella of Boards.ie.

In that case, the closest is probably the skeptics forum at:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=422

...though I'd imagine there should be enough people around to make creating an atheist/agnostic/heathen forum an idea worth considering...

I think it's probably worth summarizing the Intelligent Design/Creationist fallacy at this point:

1. Religious person looks at the world and can't understand how complexity arises.

2. Religious person ignores general explanation based upon repeated observation and simple, general underlying principle, declaring that neither exist (well, they certainly don't in the text of the bible)

3. Religious person declares that complexity was produced by bearded chap in sky.

1 - Religious person looks at complexity in the world and understands that ONLY a great designer could have designed it - not something that happened by chance.

2 - Religious person accepts the general explanation given in the Bible - yet there is NO general explanation based upon repeated observation offered by evolution.

3 - That "bearded chap" is God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

This will never become a sticky under my watch.

Even if it wasn't littered with such a preposterous number of exclamation marks that the government should consider taxing them, these issues are nowhere near the core of Christianity. They are utterly tangential and their continuing re-occurance, started on this forum by Christians, is a testament to the fact that if Satan can't be bothered setting us off on active evil (something history testifies we don't need much encouragement for) he is content to make us passionate about things that amount to nothing.

"Debate" between Creation "scientists" and evolutionists is just one such area of passion.

A Brief Introduction
    The Bible is a collection of 66 books split into 2 sections of 39 Hebrew Scriptures and 27 Greek texts. The Hebrew Scriptures recount what Christians call the Old Testament. It is a partial revelation, we believe, of the Covenant God has made with humanity. The second, much shorter section is the New Testament which describes the birth, life, ministry, and death of a carpenter called Jesus of Nazareth. It is mostly concerned with the very strange events 3 days after his death by crucifixtion that have (for better or worse) changed history.

The first book of the Bible is Genesis. It opens poetically with the famous words, "In the beginning...." Today, Christians approach this first chapter in three different ways.

1) Theistic Evolution.
    The theistic evolutionist reads the chapter as a poetic allegory. Historical analysis lends great weight to this approach as many contemporaries of Jesus in 2nd Temple Judaism understood it in this way. Early Christians did too. (That is as a poetic allegory. They were not aware of the scientific theory of evolution).

They see no contradiction between the words being true in a poetic sense just as these words express truth far better than a technical explanation, but they were never meant to be taken literally and modern evolution theory.

Like the vast majority of Christians of all denominations and background I know in Ireland, I am a theistic evolutionist.

2) Creation Science
    Danno and JC are Creation Scientists. The science word could justifiably be put in inverted commas since they can never propose any empirical, testable, falsifiable experiments to back up any of their direct or indirect claims.

Creation Scientists are a product of the 1900's and reached their zenith with the Scopes Trial. They find their roots in the controversial sect, The Seventh Day Adventists. They take the first chapter of Genesis to be a literal account of Creation. They are often very defensive and divisive. They don't seem to like me and have been known to threaten to ask my employer to reconsider my pay cheque. :)

3) Proper Creationists (or the Lazy Faithful)
    I have met a handful of noble people (including a quite accomplished archeologist) who have seen the nature of this argument at first hand. They see it produces a whole lot of heat and no light. They see that it is always acrimonious. And they think to themselves, "This doesn't affect my life at all".

As a result of all this and their personality type, they embrace the poetry of Genesis 1 and disregard efforts to bolster God's Word with a "science" it didn't need for its first few thousand years. They do not embrace this Creation Science even though they hold to Genesis 1 as their explanation. They take a poetic answer to Creation and leave literalism for the literalists. It isn't that they disregard or dismiss modern evolution theory, but they are honest and say that their day to day life is not intruded upon in any way by the investigations of Stephen Jay Gould into molluscs.

> > [robindch] Creationists [...] insist [...] that evolution is 'random' when it is anything but random
    > [danno] the world [...] happened by chance.

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
    round and round,
    round and round.
    <et seq...>

> such a preposterous number of exclamation marks that
    > the government should consider taxing them

<grin> consider this one beer to you :)

> things that amount to nothing

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/pr/11.html#29

g'night all.

Quote growler
    1. have we observed any direct Godly actions ? If there was a God surely we would see manifestations in line with those in the Bible ?

2. If earth DNA is so complex, then surely the DNA needed to create an omnipotent intelligence would be even more complex ? (and therefore even less likely)

3. if Seti were to pick up anything resembling intelligence, wouldn't that contradict the Biblical interpretation of the universe anyway?

1. God’s actions in the World are miracles – usually performed by His angels. We are currently enjoying the period of God’s grace before He decides to move in judgement upon the World and it’s inhabitants. He is therefore only INDIRECTLY manifesting His presence in the World at the moment. Whenever He does decide to DIRECTLY manifest His presence in the World, we will ALL know about it!!!

2. DNA is NOT a necessary pre-requisite for intelligent life. Demons and angels of great intelligence populate the spiritual realm and neither entities contain DNA.
    The transcendent Creator God of the Universe logically HAD to work outside of the currently observed Laws of the Universe to create it in the first place and therefore His ‘origin’ is scientifically inaccessible – and that is where faith must of necessity take over.
    Evolutionists have faith in the unfounded belief that NOTHING blew up in the Big Bang.
    Creation Scientists believe that a supremely intelligent pre-existing God created it all.

3. ET intelligence is already indicated by the Bible – demons and angels are both forms of extraterrestrial life.

Quote growler
    Of course science can't demonstrate or disprove the ability for life to spontaneously generate, or accurately measure genetic / evolutionary change in the miniscule timespans humans live for etc. As a species we've only been around for a insignificant time (whether millions or thousands of years) we understand an equally insignificant part of the big picture. Given the speed with which we have developed as a civilization, it may be millions more years before either humans (or our then evolved equivalent).

I agree with most of your sentiments and Creation Scientists also share your belief that the more that one knows, the more one is humbled by the realisation that we actually know very little.
    However, this shouldn’t stop us trying to find out more – and that is what science is all about.
    Science however, doesn’t have a monopoly on wisdom or indeed knowledge and that is where philosophy and indeed Divine Revelation also comes in.

Quote Robin
    I just knew that I must have misread and misunderstood that incriminating sentence in which they (the Discovery Institute) said that they were (creationists)!

Let’s examine the so-called “incriminating sentence” again Robin.

“To replace materialistic explanations with the THEISTIC understanding that nature and human beings are CREATED by God.”

Please note the presence of the word THEISTIC as in THEISTIC evolution. Please also note that theistic evolutionists routinely use the words “CREATION BY GOD” and what they mean is that evolution was how this “CREATION BY GOD” was achieved.

In general, theistic evolutionists are Christians or other monotheists who interpret Genesis as a description of how life supposedly evolved on Earth – and so they occupy the farthest point away from neo-Darwinian evolutionists on the evolutionary ‘faith spectrum’ so to speak.

Between these two extremes of evolutionary thought are the ‘Intelligent Design’ proponents. In general they believe in evolution but they do not define what ‘intelligence’ did the designing (unlike the theistic evolutionists who generally claim that it was the God of the Bible that did it). Because they don’t claim that the God of the Bible did the designing, the Intelligent Designers are therefore closer to the agnostic evolutionists than they are to the Christian theistic evolutionists.

The ‘origins’ Faith Spectrum is as follows:
    Atheistic evolutionists, agnostic evolutionists, intelligent designers, theistic evolutionists and creationists.

The “fuss” at the Smithsonian was caused by the challenge of ‘Intelligent Design’ to Atheistic Evolutionists and their dogmatic faith in atheism i.e. their deeply held belief that there is no transcendent God or indeed any other “intelligence” involved in the evolution of the Universe.

The ‘over-the-top’ reaction of the “High Priests” of neo-Darwinian evolution proves that they are quite irrational creatures when their blind faith in atheism is rationally challenged even by one of their own (Prof Richard Sternberg). I shudder to think what they would do with a Creation Scientist if they got their hands on him/her!!!!

In any event, such suppression of academic freedom is quite reprehensible.

I don’t personally share any of Prof Richard Steinberg’s philosophical opinions and indeed I also differ quite sharply with Dr Stephen C. Meyer on many issues, but I respect them both as “world class” scientists WHO SHOULD NOT BE TREATED LIKE THIS.
    Any scientist worthy of the name, should declare their opposition to this travesty and Prof Richard Steinberg should immediately be given a chair for his proven academic rigour and progressive tolerance of alternative views – which is after all HOW science actually makes progress!!!!.

Quote Robin
    Anyhow, as I've now become a creationist, having been swayed by JC's lucid (if slightly unreadable) prose

Welcome aboard Robin, I knew that the ‘penny would eventually drop’ and being an engineer yourself, you would logically conclude that muck could NEVER evolve into Man – just like it doesn’t spontaneously ‘morph’ into cars, aeroplanes or even buildings – because it simply doesn’t have the POTENTIAL to do so.

When I lost my faith in evolution, I stopped telling people that I was descended from a Slimeball, and amazingly their opinion of me greatly improved.

Quote Robin
    Take something heavy in your right hand and drop it onto the floor, and note the angle at which it hits the floor.

Robin, I appreciate that you have the “enthusiasm of a convert” but this experiment of yours can only test the Laws of Gravity or badly injure your big toe!!!!!

I hate to hold back your obvious zeal to go forth and convert the masses, but I feel that I must point out that your proposed experiment isn’t incontrovertible proof for the existence of God!!!!!

However, sensible physical LAWS that work together in a purposeful coordinated manner to achieve definite and predictable results (as the Laws of the Universe do) indicates that a sensible ‘intelligence’ devised them – and this ‘intelligence’ as well as His Laws are working on such a universal scale that it can only be God.

P.S. You have taken a very good first step by becoming a Creationist, Robin. However, to be saved you must repent of your sins and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

I have laid out the three kinds of opinion I have come across people holding in my life and my work. But now I am about to take the deep breath and plunge into engaging with the comments written by some other Christians on this thread already.

I have no doubt from interaction with Danno and JC that they are passionate Christians and I would love to meet both of them. But I disagree with their interpretations of the Bible and more importantly, I am offended by how they communicate their interpretation. I do not wish to start a pitched battle between me as the wussy intellectual Christian selling the Gospel out for a few half assed attempts at philosophy by Richard Dawkins versus the staunch, immovable narrow-mindedness of literalist fundamentalists keen to protect their sacred cows even at the cost of becoming clanging cymbals but instead I envisage and relish a wholesome, respectful, God-honouring debate amongst brothers.

How I Read Genesis 1
    Firstly, I remember that the Biblical texts were not written with chapters and verse in place. They are a late addition to the text and while they greatly ease discussion and reference, they have unforseen negative consequences. They are not God inspired. They truncate movements within the books to give a distorted view at times. Verses themselves allow passages to more easily be taken completely out of context. I'm always ragging on Robindch for doing that.

So the first thing I have to admit is that I don't even read Genesis 1. I couldn't see the point in doing that! Why? Because Genesis 1 is just part of coherent whole formed by Genesis 1-3. In the text, as even a cursory examination will demonstrate, what we call Genesis Chapter 1 is actually a passage all dressed up as a chapter. The opening scene of the Bible ends with the line:

After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life. (Gen 3:24)

When Moses wrote Genesis, inspired by God (but written by man, for we Christians are not Muslims ;) ) he wrote it so that it began with a story far more important than the mechanism of how God created the ins and outs of the Cosmos. It is a myth of Enlightenment modernity that Creation Scientists buy into that says that how things work is the most important thing about them. The meaning of things is found in why things are, not how.

God is described in very general, non-specific terms as the intentional Creator, who deems His own efforts "Good" (Ricky Gervais has that great line about "Would that we were all our own critics...."). Even in my solid old leather bound KJV, humanity is the culmination of this creative effort. Male and female he created them and their defining, over-riding characteristic that differentiates them from all that has gone before is that they are made in his own image. They too are good. And with them made, God rests.

The main point of Genesis Chapter 1, I argue, is not the ins and outs of how the universe came to be (for that is not discussed beyond the fact that God called them into being) but why they came to be. They came because the trinitarian God felt that that would be good. And the peak of all of this Creation is found in you and me, both made uniquely to somehow bear an image of God within us.

But Genesis Capter 1, as we know it today, is only the introduction of the story dealt with in Genesis 1-3. We see that the image bearing humanity lived initially in a state of idyll with God. Again, Eden is not the focus of the author's attention but the special relationship between the man and God. Adam has tasks assigned to him by God and a friendship with God. God takes pleasure in Adam's pleasure.

As I understand it, the real point of the opening of the Bible comes when this natural state of things is disrupted with the serpent's entrance. Again, Moses does not intend to explain the biological make-up of the Fall (for example, from where did the serpent come and how did he arrive are unasked, nevermind unanswered). What Moses clearly wants us to see is that by their own free will, Adam and Eve chose to disobey the warnings of God, their Creator, guide, provider and most importantly, friend. Genesis 1 exists to explain how Genesis 3 can happen.

Humanity falls. Sin enters the world. All of the cosmos is disrupted. God and man can no longer be friends. And even as God is explaining the consequences of their decision to Adam and Eve, he tells them of the coming Christ.

For me, Genesis 1-3 is not about the double helix of DNA, the 23 chromosomes, the random mutation of genes by solar radiation or the likelihood of a jumbo jet being assembled by a gust of wind. It is about the miracle of God making us in our image to share in his glory and our decision to go another way. For me, a far more pressing area for thought, contemplation and devotion for the Christian than even the vast expanses of space is the fact that the Bible begins with a tree from which disease enters the world and ends with a tree who's leaves will heal the nations.

For me, the issue is not so much did Genesis happen as the fact that Genesis is happening, today, in our lives, as we continually establish ourselves as lords over and above God. We de-god God in our lives today without a tree of knowledge to focus on. It tells the deepest truth of all:
    Man is in rebellion against God. All of Creation is suffering. But God is putting things right.

The issue is not so much did Genesis happen, but rather that Genesis is happening.

• Advertisement

The God-Breath in Scripture

When Creation Scientists argue for a literal interpretation of the Scriptures, they always use this quote from the second letter Paul wrote to his student Timothy.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2 Tim 3:16)

The Bible never says that it is to be take literally. Bibical literalists will never cede to this point but you must intepret even 2 Tim 3:16, their proof text, to get to the position that Scripture doesn't require interpretation.

But I want to make a few short comment on the interpretation of this text. "God-breated" is an interesting phrase. I would have thought that had St. Paul intended to write "All Scripture is to be taken literally" he might have written something like "Don't interpret any Scripture". Instead he uses this God-breated phrase.

I would argue that what he is alluding to (poetically) is that the Word of God is spoken in some miraculous way through the stylus of his assistant to whom he dictates his words, as it does for his fellow apostle Peter or indeed for Moses. Air must flow over the larynx to make a word. I argue that this verse does not mean that Scripture needs always to be taken literally but that God speaks through Scripture.

Speech is a combination of the breathing over the larynx and the words that need to be communicated. In the opening line of John's Gospel we hear that Jesus can be described in this way:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made...."

That is how a Gospel begins and we can see that the whole Bible begins in the very same way:

"And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light...." (Gen 1:3)

I think in 2 Timothy 3:16, Paul is making reference to the fact that in Scripture, God creates with his voice. Paul is saying that Scripture has the authority and power of God. He is not arguing for a literalist methodology in the reading of this Word.

(As a digression, Paul is touching here on his primary theme of the inaugurated eschatology that is brought about through the Easter events and the coming of the Gospel but that is for another, more profitable discussion...)

The reason this is important is that Creation Science rests on the faulty assumption that the truth of God is somehow sold out if we take a moment to investigate how it is meant to be interpreted. Interpretation takes the form of:

1) Trying to understand what the original recipients of the text got from it
    2) Trying to understand how the text applies to our society today
    3) Trying to understand how the text applies to us, as individuals, today.

This is meant to be a prayerful and worshipful endeavour on one hand while simultaneously being a rigorous and honest engagement of our critical faculties. These two demands feedback into each other to make an ever more praise-demanding endeavour and when this happens, theology at its best is the result. Interpreting the Bible is not making it say whatever suits us. The Gospels are clearly intended to be taken literally. But when 2nd Temple Jews, Jesus' contemporaries read from Daniel that the skies would darken and that the Son of Man would descend on clouds from heaven, they did not expect that the next line would read "And the rest of the country will be mostly dry with scattered showers". Understanding the difference in intention between Genesis 1-3, Daniel 7 and John 19 is crucial for understanding and communicating God's liberating message.

My final word on the invalidity of the literalist approach is that Jesus was a Rabbi. Rabbis trained their whole lives to interpret the Scriptures. Jesus interpreted the Scriptures. He astonished his hearers on the words he spoke on his own authority. He often begins sentences with, "You have heard it said, but I tell you this...." He is reinterpreting the Scriptures. Jesus didn't think literalism applied across the board. Nor do I. I think you do a dis-service to God and you challenge the approaches of Jesus in his teaching when you argue that reading Genesis 1 thougtfully equals selling out the truth of God's Word.

Danno, you argue that the first page is somehow more important in the Bible. But surely all Scripture is God-breathed (whatever that turns out to mean) so no paragraph is less or more important than any other?

Fundamentally guys, I disagree with your 6-day Creation theory because days didn't actually exist until the 4th day. As you well know, the Hebrew word used can apply just as easily to the term "eon" as it does to "day". For a day to exist, the sun must exist. Therefore, according to you, God made days on the 4th day. Therefore, according to you, God is illogical. That directly contradicts Scripture. Reducto ad infinitum or the VIR rule or whatever logical trap I've set demonstrates clearly that the early Christian leaders must have been on to something when they mocked the idea of a literal Creation account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement