Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serious question

Options
  • 01-11-2005 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

is ul full of gaa heads and general sporty types?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Obviously :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But seriously, what UL do you go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Jesper

I went to UL its all sporty.
    The Lodge knocks all that crazy stuf out of you fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

not all jocks; aside from the Stables bar :p

a few nerds too...oh, and some engis' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Same mix as any uni tbh. Same lot of jocks as UCC had when I was there. Actually, less in UL I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If you hang around the arena or PESS building, then youre obviously going to get the impression that the place is full of jocks.

I once had a lecture in the pess building, and i felt like hundreds of eyes were looking at my tracksuitless legs (had baggy jeans on). Then the mushrooms wore off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The answer is yes, the place is teeming with jocks/GAA types. But you can avoid them if you stay away from the Stables/Lodge/PESS/arena/Frames gigs, which I have absolutely no problem with doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

Lies, UL is great for ALL things. Sure it has a rep for being jocky, but its no more so than anywhere else, I know, cause I'm a mix of Nerd and Jock, one of the oddballs who loves Football and Computers with the same fiery passion, GO ON SUNDERLAND AND CALL OF DUTY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chubba1984

UL is a great spot no matter what you're in to. You don't have to be a "jock" (what bloody country are we in, cos I've only ever heard this reference on TV) to enjoy all the places mentioned by Cornbb. You can even go to the Arena without being a "jock".

I am big into GAA but don't hang around with many people that are so I don't see any problem. I'm getting sick of this forum being dominated by comp sys/info sys/engineering types. And before you ask, most of the people I hand around with are actually doing some form of engineering. I'm not tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

GO ON SUNDERLAND

Go'way ya dirty Mackem bastard! Up the Toon!

Yeah I suppose there are loads of sporty types floating about the campus, and they do kind of emphasise the sporting facilities (which are pretty class) in all the prospectuses and open days and that, so there you go. But you do get non-sporty types too that are into other things too, and then you get people who are into both.

But I suppose healthy body healthy mind and all that rubbish and all the sport can keep the beer-belly at bay.

What's the point of the OP's point? Are you saying that the sporty types dominate at the expense of the non-sporting ones and that there aren't enough people who've got interests other than sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

chubba1984 wrote:
    UL is a great spot no matter what you're in to. You don't have to be a "jock" (what bloody country are we in, cos I've only ever heard this reference on TV) to enjoy all the places mentioned by Cornbb. You can even go to the Arena without being a "jock".

I am big into GAA but don't hang around with many people that are so I don't see any problem. I'm getting sick of this forum being dominated by comp sys/info sys/engineering types. And before you ask, most of the people I hand around with are actually doing some form of engineering. I'm not tho.

Maybe the board should be renamed "UL CompSys" or the Kaimera/440hz/etc club board?:rolleyes:

It is getting a bit boring in here with the same people chatting to one another instead of using PM or email as Dave said...can we not ban chat-type posts and have some better moderation?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

klong wrote:
    and have some better moderation?:confused:
    Nice!
    As has been done - Kaimera has been banned and everyone has reeled back on the "in-jokes" .Tell ya i really dont see what your all goin on about there is no "in jokes" between us its what you see. IF more came to the beers then you'd see its actually just a larf.

Also may i refer ye to the rest of the college forums they are all the same and moderated the exact same. Sorry that i actually know a few people here but would love to know the rest of ye.

Nukem

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

klong wrote:
    Maybe the board should be renamed "UL CompSys" or the Kaimera/440hz/etc club board?:rolleyes:

It is getting a bit boring in here with the same people chatting to one another instead of using PM or email as Dave said...can we not ban chat-type posts and have some better moderation?:confused:

Hilarious.

We actually do use PM's and emails a hell of a lot.

I'm sure the forum would be great without the banter wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Come along to a boards beer ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

At least they bother to post. Be a little more positive and quit your whinging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

As Nukem says more people should come to the beers. There isn't much in jokes going on here. We're just having a laugh. Nukems moderation has been flawless as far as I'm concerned. The only reason there's so many posts from comp/info sys and engineering types is because no one else bothers posting here. Don't complain if you're not going to post anything of use. I'm not meaning to come across as harsh in that last sentence. Anyway come to the beers next time its on and get to know the rest of us.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

gaf1983 wrote:
    Go'way ya dirty Mackem bastard! Up the Toon!

WE ALL DREAM OF A TEAM OF GARY BREEN, A TEAM OF GARY BREEN, A TEAM OF GARY BREEN!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Elley wrote:
    At least they bother to post.
    What she said.

It wouldn't be the same few people chatting all the time if the few people who drop in to say it's the same few people chatting all the time dropped in for a bit more. I'm not thinking of just up the page, I noticed someone dropping in yesterday just to say that it seemed to be nothing but computery types posting.

I would agree that it's a bit chatty. Whether that's a bad thing or not is another matter. I will say that it's nowhere near as bad as more than one of the college boards out there and nowhere near as retarded as some of the college boards have been in the past. Additionally if people posting here organise a few beers, it's relatively natural to expect them to mention the event after the fact and perhaps even have a, well, a chat about it.

As for the original question: no it isn't. And there's nowhere near the level of boggers as there was ten years ago. It's reached the stage where nobody can claim to be the only aul Dub in the village, which could well have been the case once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Peteee wrote:
    Hilarious.

We actually do use PM's and emails a hell of a lot.

I'm sure the forum would be great without the banter wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Come along to a boards beer ffs

IF you'd read my posts you'd know that I'm on Study Abroad...5,000 miles away. So it might be a bit of a problem.:rolleyes:

And it's the same for some other people, either they're on Erasmus, Co-op or whatever...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

klong wrote:
    IF you'd read my posts you'd know that I'm on Study Abroad...5,000 miles away. So it might be a bit of a problem.:rolleyes:

And it's the same for some other people, either they're on Erasmus, Co-op or whatever...

Sorry bout that

Advertisement