Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake.ie?

Options
  • 08-11-1998 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Whats the story here lads?
    Everyones gettin 20% ploss. Is this sumthin do with tinet or quake.ie having to many servers on one machine?

Or could it be a fiendish conspiracy to stop me ever playin with a decnt ping?

Adidas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Jay

Well as far as I am concerned....Quake.ie has become a joke.
    It really ticks me off. We here in UL get better ping and PL on english servers.
    Today I was in Arena2 and my ping started at 40 PL about 4.......(sounds great eh!...but oh no..as soon as more than 6 peole were in the game, it spiked up to 250 and back down again...PL going from 25 to 79.... what the f**k is the story lads????
    Who ever is in charge........PLEEEZE PLEEEEZE PLEEEEZE FIX IT. How can the Irish Quakers be expected to compete with other countries, if we don't even have a decent server within the country??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Black Pawn

Ok Eddie - here is one or two suggestions

- Is it not believed by the that no matter how high the spec of the machine that the number of connections per machine should be limited. that 30 is too many ?

- it is also believed that on the internet the number of servers on a machine should be limited too ?

- Would it not be better to test for a 2 week period a different configuration?

This is my suggestion -

1 Rocket arena 6 clients max...
    1 war 12 clients max
    1 duel ( 4 x 4 ) no specs 8 clients and leave it at that for 2 weeks?

Also - yur q2 shoudl also be reduced considerably

These are only suggestions - it will reduce the number of Irish servers available for playing but - I believe will help reduce the PL and bad connections to the servers I can categorically say that this is not a "isp" issue or posting - IOL wont have any new quake servers up over the next two weeks - so This is the time to test Before the competitiona like iqcl start....

Bite the bullet and go for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I agree, although I'm having no problems whatsoever with my tinet connection to quake.ie. lovely connections with little or no P/L when on the dublin POP.

anyway, there are 2 q2 CTF servers up atm, get rid of one of them. Get rid of the q2 ffa and the duel server and replace them with another battleground mod server. it can be used in ffa mode or for duels. that'd be 2 less servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

only one duel server for q1?
    thered be a hell of a queue..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Black Pawn

Koopa - what do u suggest ?

• Advertisement

well, maybe have 10 max for war server, 2 duel servers with max 2 players,(the war server can be used for 2 v 2 or bigger team games, in my experience ppl who are playing a 2 v 2 are generally only doing so because there arent enough ppl for a war)..
    and one server for CA(max 8) which can be turned into a rocket arena server with selectable rocket arena maps by the clients, like the barrysworld mr.pinks CA server.(as far as i know, only me and Slaan ever played rocket arena anyway, when we had a rocket arena server :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shaft

Well q2ffa1.quake.ie is an absolute waste of time and space, why? Because the server is constantly running maps no one has and no one could really be ****d getting,plus the things are impossible to find.Duel1 is a good server to have when youre sick of war1, putting up another BattleGround server has its advantages and disadvantages you could see a lot of clans constantly hogging one of them and telling everyone to **** off to the other one, or you could see it happening with the two.Although war1 can get a bit packed at times, so in the long run rip down one of the ctf ones and ffa and put up another Battleground one is prolly the best way to go.Am i the only one who gets constant 275+ pings on quake.ie|?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Is q2ffa1 running these ikdmx maps? I got a bit of a shock when I came back from the States and saw those things alright, I remember some of them were proposed for the Q2OOT but still who wants to download them for normal FFA play?

John.
    --

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I love the new maps on ffa1! I'm sooo fed up with the q2dm* maps. q2war1 is a pain to play on these days:

dm1 - everyone likes it, everyone is sick of it.

dm2 - half of us (including me!) can't stand it. HIV like it, for some odd reason.

dm3 - again, a lot of people hate it, damn lava..

dm4 - very rarely played, but good.

dm5 - rarely played, but most people like it.

dm6 - Nooo!!! *everyone* apart from DzR hate this awful level.. quadquadquadquadquadqaud.

dm7 - S M A L L. very rarely played.

dm8 - Yay! Except people have a tendancy to leave the server when one team all have power shields... :)

and that's it! We need more levels on war1 - and we need those lazy sod's who haven't downloaded the maps to get them. However, I think the IQN are to blame for that - lads, whatever about the website (I've given up hope. :)) you really should get the ftp server back to it's former glory, with all the mods, patches, updates etc it was a great resource before - we need a central place to get files.

As for q2 servers:

Keep q2ctf1, it's the public CTF server.
    Keep the CTF league server - that's only up for the duration of the league, and a great place to practice for it.
    Keep war1, obviously.
    Lose duel1.
    Lose ffa1, and transfer the maps to war1 - so although they don't have to be in rotation, they at least can be voted for.
    I dunno about RA - some people like it, some ignore it, it isn't used too often..

Teeth.

waaah FTP server causes lag!
    all the mods (Q1 and Q2) are at sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk anyway, d/l times are fast enough, and its very reliable

we dont need to have everything on quake.ie, all we need there are the actual servers :)
    which is preferable, less lag or an FTP server when there is already a nearby one in the UK? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

HIV like dm2 because it's the best lev of the lot. It's EM that seem to have the bizarre 'dm8' fetish :) Everyone seems to think dm8 is a temple of lag, I personally dont find it any worse than the others.

If dm7 is deleted from the server that'll suit me fine, as that level is complete rubbish unless weapon stay is on (which it never is). dm3 is too small for more than a 2v2, and now has a special place in my 'hated levels list' what with it being the scene of our first ever defeat in the UKCCL :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Cave

Man O Man, DM3 is D best!!! The sooner u lads realise it the better. Stop playin on DM1, good level an all but ffs, way too much dm1 makes juNkie wanna play dm3 all day. Btw DM2 rules!!!! and DM6!!!!! and DM8!!!!! and I like........DM7!!!!!! and I luuuuuuuvvvvvvvvvvv MATCH1!!!!!!!!!! and I hate rabbits.

juNkie

Advertisement