Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who's my Eircom Leauge local team??

• 10-06-2003 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

In light of the big push to promote Irish domestic soccer, and the switch to a summer season, i have a sense of duty to support my local team, buy the jersey, and go to the odd match.... the only problem is i don't know who my local team is!!!

I know next to nothing about the Irish domestic front i'm ashamed to say, and the only players in the leauge i know of are the two who featured in Irish squads, stephen geaghon, and more recently Glen Crowe (who i think should start for Ireland, from what i've seen of him, he cant be any worse than david connolly!!)

I watch the tv3 highlights, and i'm delighted to see half full "stadiums" at the matches, and i don't want to miss the boat on Irish soccer!

At the moment i would tell you i support Dublin City, but only becasue of the name, and i doubt ill be seeing them in the premier division anytime soon, never mind the champions leauge!
    so who is my local team????
    I live in Dublin 4, i know Shamrock rovers used to be bsed in the RDS, but there gone a while now... so who do i support?

And off topic, do you think an Irish team will ever make it into the champions leauge first phase? how long will it take in your opinion, and who will it be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

[jackass]
    UCD would be your local team, they play at Belfeld. Currently they look like relegation material though so I would suggest you support Shels. They are a short No. 10 bus journey away and will be shouting for honours I would imagine. They play at Tolka Park and its only 10euro's in.

I can't ever see an Irish Team in the CL unless a UK team re-locate here. With all the teams going into administration it's not unlikely to happen.

thegills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

it doesn't matter who your local team are - you now support shelbourne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

ye sorry, its not your choice. you support shels now.

you wont be sorry, great stadium, great team, great support.

miss it miss out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Yes support shels and if you share a taxi with the 2 fans above you can call yourself "an end" and get your own stand in Tolka.

Alos when going to Tolka use fake college id or labour card to avoid paying full price.

They are scum and dont need the money.

:D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sadloserkid

Originally posted by thegills
    [jackass]

I can't ever see an Irish Team in the CL unless a UK team re-locate here. With all the teams going into administration it's not unlikely to happen.

thegills

'All the teams going into Administration'? I presume you're talking about Nationwide League nobodies yeah? None of Ireland's 22 League clubs are gone into administration! Drogheda United had a few hiccups last year but are well over it now.

As for [Jackass] I'd suggest heading to a few games and seeing who takes your fancy. In Dublin you can choose between UCD, Dublin City, Shelbourne, Shamrock Rovers, Bohemians and St.Patrick's Athletic.

Try foot.ie or else the EL Messageboard for more details about the EL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 DEMI

bray, pats or rovers. Go out and enjoy yourself, you will not be dissapointed. When you do go you will realise how wasteful it is following ENGLISH football.

Become a part of the club, then you can really use the word WE when refering to the team you follow. Then you will think like many others why did i ignore my own IRISH soccer league.

Afterall IRELAND IS NOT A PART OF THE UK. LIVERPOOL OR MANCHESTER ARE NOT CITIES IN IRELAND.

Welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Afterall IRELAND IS NOT A PART OF THE UK. LIVERPOOL OR MANCHESTER ARE NOT CITIES IN IRELAND

Omg their not?! Why was I never informed...

I live in roscommon so I try to go see Longford or Athlone now and then, not having a car is my main problem of getting to the games. When I used to goto college in galway id pop along to see Galway Utd play now and then.

Pleased to be of service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

UCD are your local team so you should follow them. Not sure where in D4 you live but you can get a 46A to Foster's Ave., the ground is off Foster's Ave. The next home game is on the 1st of July against the hooped scum (aka Shamrock Rovers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Support whoever you want.

But whatever you do not

,I repeat DO NOT,

Support Rovers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I go to Dundalk games every now and then. They're not doing too well at the moment. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Used to follow Shamrock rovers but since they moved away from the RDS i kinda drifted away. Was only a kid (as if being 20 now is considered old ;) )and it was starting to grip me but then they moved aweh. Last i heard they were in Tallaght and couldnt be arsed to go see em.
    They still playing in Tallaght or they moved again? Werent they getting their old stadium? ;p (as u can see i havent really been following. I really should, i enjoyed the games i went too.)

I'll see if a few m8s wanan come see em some day and we'll take it from there :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Yes support shels and if you share a taxi with the 2 fans above you can call yourself "an end" and get your own stand in Tolka.

Alos when going to Tolka use fake college id or labour card to avoid paying full price.

They are scum and dont need the money.

kdjac

funny guy, u must be a scumbag rovers fan!! so poor they had to use our ground for a season!!

i suppose everyone gets jealous of the best teams! :D

comes with the territory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

They still playing in Tallaght or they moved again? Werent they getting their old stadium?
    They never played in tallaght the stadium still isnt finished after loads of delays due to running out of money but ben dunne has given them a few quid so it should be finished for the start of next season(heard that before)
    They are currently playing at rihcmond park (St. Pats ground) and the sooner we get them out of there the better.
    You could do worse than start youre eircom league experence by going to tomorow nights dublin derby between Pats and Rovers.
    Pats are "away" at their home ground richmond park(incicore)
    You will get to see the old master Paul Osam (one of the greatest players ever to play in the league) classy ugandan international mbabazi and the new zidzane Keith Fahy
    Also one of the reasons the attendences look so low on t.v is the camera is often located on the side with the most fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not many Bohs casuals in here than
    Follow anyone apart from Rovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

Well done Jackass, there's nothing like going to support your local team no matter how crap they are, rather then paying Sky Sports to show some British team on the box. My team is Dundalk and I go to all the games home and away if I can, you get to see a lot of Ireland in the First Division!

Try and get out and support a IRISH TEAM. People claim the EL is not as good as the English Prem, of course its not. The English Prem is possibly the biggest league in europe. It is unfair to make comparisions.

What the EL is, is good football, competive games and LOCAL FOOTBALL. If you have never been to a game or gone once and gave up please give it a go again. Given a decent chance you will be hooked like at least 10,OOO PEOPLE IN DUBLIN ARE REGULARLY.

It's too easy to say ah i wont bother because the crowds arnt great, but if everyone who said that went along the crowds would be a lot larger. THE FOOTBALL ON SHOW DESERVES THE SUPPORT OF IRISH PEOPLE

Especially in Limerick (after our truly heroic victory against Kildare County last night!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Is there a site where you can get first division fixtures ?

RTE's website has a link for fixtures/results, but it really only is results.

Mail me at sadloserkid@hotmail.com and I'll forward them on to you. Just put fixtures or something in the subject line alright?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Originally posted by sadloserkid
    Mail me at sadloserkid@hotmail.com and I'll forward them on to you. Just put fixtures or something in the subject line alright?

Thx, but I found what I needed on sligorovers.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

DerekD Goldfish: No idea wtf i thought they were playing out in Tallaght. I can't go to that derby unfortunately, am off to westport in the morning with a few m8's Must convinced em to come to a few EL games on the train ride :) They cant run from me(and my EL suggestion) there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Should be a good game tonight but im sure Pats will take the lead and then concede a late equaliser.

kdjac

Stay well away from Cobh/Queenstown Ramblers/Fight Club FC though. Long ball hackers... :ninja:

Have you decided who to support:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Support Rovers to annoy all the people here and because they beat Pats last night with an 86th minute goal.
    And only 1 point off Shels too.

Did you get to a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

If you want to support your local team, it would have to be UCD. Then again, Rovers do have a decent support base around D4, so you might want to hop on something a little more exciting than Belfield Park on a Friday night. Why not check out a few home games of each team you'd consider (don't even thin kabout Dublin City), and then pick the best one?

Anyone going to the Rovers-Pat's game last Friday would have been impressed by the colour and the passion, but it's just a pity that lack of money means poor facilities are the norm, until crowds like Richmond last Friday become the norm.

Get out to a game folks, there is really no better place between 7.30 and 9.30 on a Friday night.

• Advertisement

Missed my team in action. Roll on this weekend

Missed my team in action. Roll on this weekend

And my beloved blues beat Dermot Keely's Kildare 2-1. AS a new convert to to the eircom League cause you should know that hatred of this guy is expected! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

slk, yourself and lims fan might see it as a "cause", but for the rest of us, there is just the eircom League to support, not necessarily a "cause". Lets not get into the whole anti-English crusade thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blizzard5278

yeah support you local team is much better so much better that supporting an english team. I support Dundalk not doing so well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

just wondering,whats the capacity going to be in rovers new ground,also follow the best team(as well as the best supported team) in the el,the mighty cork citeh,yes i know you are a dub,but the silky football played by o'flynn and the boys beats the ****e that passes for football up there,a return ticket by rail is 51 euro,then walk to the bus station from the rail one(its not far away,just across the river,take the kinsale bus,it passes by turners cross.

• Advertisement
Advertisement