Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Query

• 10-06-2003 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all I have been offered this laptop for €1000 has anyone got one of these or know of them. Any advice would be great.

MEDION MD9783
    Intel P4 2Ghz
    256Mb DDR-DRAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 32Mb with TV-OUT
    20Gb HDD with 5400rpm
    1.44 FDD
    Modular QSI SBW-081 DVD-CDRW (8x4x24)
    Creatix V92 Data Fax Modem (on board)
    Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet (on board)
    Avance AC97 sound card (on board) with integrated speakers & volume tuner
    Synaptics Touch Pad with 3 buttons
    IrDA Fast Infrared Port
    2xPCMCIA Type II
    Ports: 2xUSB, 1xFireWire, 1xPS2, 1xRJ45(LAN), 1xRJ11(phone), 1xSerial,
    1xParalel, 1xTV-OUT, 1xVGA Out, 1xAudio Out, 1xMicIn/LineOut
    Software: Recovery Disk, Driver&Utilities Disk
    Carrying Case

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Seems like a good price for that spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

Well the spec and the price are great, I myself have a compaq Evo of very similar spec but, I have no idea what a meddion laptop is like inrelation to build quality and so on... if you can get a extended 3 year warrinity on it go for it, As it has all the necessary bits............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Ya it seems a good price all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Medion is the brand that Aldi sells in their increasingly regular PC specials. Do a search on boards for Aldi and you should turn up a thread with a link to their site giving details of upcoming offers. If memory serves their last laptop special cost in the region of €1600 so the price you posted looks like a good deal but it may be worthwhile checking the site to see if there is a better spec or a price cut on the way.
    ComputerActive always seem to give them good reviews and the specs are indeed high but I think to keep the cost of the laptops down they use the standard (desktop) P4 chips. This will make it more power hungry, worth bearing in mind if you are going to stray far from a 3 pin socket for any length of time. All laptops get shorter life out of their batteries as time goes by and a lesser known brand may be harder to find replacement batteries for.
    My two cents.
    Let us know how it performs if you buy it.

Advertisement