Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to be good

Options
  • 10-06-2003 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I have just started to read How to be good by Nick Horby, it is kind of depressing to be honest, has anyone else read this - shall I soldier on ??

does anyone even like his books ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I loved all his other books (I haven't read the music book yet actually) but I think How to be Good is rubbish.

Terrible rubbish actually, it's self-indulgent, badly plotted and edited, confused, patronising and stupid. The characters are wooden.

The premise of the novel is idiotic and the lessons he tries to impart are so heavy handed you end up ignoring it. It's depressing. Any good editor would have thrown it back at him, told him to reread About a Boy and then rewrite it.

Alas Hornby was awful hot at the time so they got it out as quickly as possible. Don't keep reading unless you want a lesson in how not to write a novel.

Still though one poor book and three brilliant ones is a record anyone would be jealous of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

I liked it. My favourite one of his.
    A guy develops faith healing powers after taking lots of ecstacy. Came as a surprise really.
    Got stung on the sole of my foot by a bee a few days ago. It's incredibly itchy right now.

Advertisement