Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meh new rig,

• 10-06-2003 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

final result, for all those people ive annoyed with questions all week in #tech.ie is :
    ctx 17" FST monitor,
    abit ic7-g mobo,
    2 x 512mb ddr3200 ram (for dual ddr) ,
    p4 2.4 ghz fsb800,
    Antec PlusView1000/MT noPSU 4x5.25 5x3.5,
    450W Q-TEC PSU,
    MSI 16x dvd drive,

it all comes to €891 including delivery and related charges

The reason i am posting here is to see if anyone has any suggestions for price reductions or performance improvements. (although only if I can get any suggested parts from komplett or elara mind :P)

The only thing i am really unsure about is the mobo, accoding to THG, the asus springdale boards have unlocked pat, and therefore are near or equal the canterwood boards.

AN alternative to the above would be the same lot, except with an nforce 2 mobo that supports dual ddr and an xp2800 barton processor.

This costs the same as the p4 lot with an ic7 (60€ cheaper than the p4 lot with the ic7-g

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

No graphics card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Id drop the Abit IC-7 G Motherboard for the IC-7 Motherboard if your not going to use the extra features.

I'v just picked one up and have to say its a quality board and the amount of stuff that comes in the box is very impressive.

Just waiting on the last few bits and bobs to complete my new system, and again thx to all the folks who gave me advice along the way.

My new system will be.....

ThermalTake V1000+ Xaser III, Black with window
    P4 3.0 GHz FSB 800 chip
    Abit IC-7 Mainboard for S478/800mhz
    TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB Dual Pack
    Enermax PSU ATX 350W (P-4)
    19" Dell 998 monitor
    Gforce 4 Ti 4600 128 MB gfx card
    52x CD/DVD drive
    48x CD re-writer
    SB Live 1024 sound card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

aye i am very tempted to get an ic-7 but for the fact that i dream of someday having a gblan :P

some kid of built in lan is nice which is why i like the ic7-g, and raid, sure why not :P

although i could always get summit l33t for the €60 that i'd save ;)

On a side note, why is it you are gettin a sound card? isn't the 5.1 onboard sound with optical in and out good enough? :P

(p.s. Thorbar i will be using the geforce 4 ti 4600I have already with it)

Venom seeing as you are getting the whole hog, the elara evolution series is well worth a peek.
    How much does that lot set you back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Truckle
    On a side note, why is it you are gettin a sound card? isn't the 5.1 onboard sound with optical in and out good enough? :P

the abit ic7 comes with 6.1 sound as far as i know (P.s i got one on order from komplett)

5.1 is what it says on komplett.

damn you people :P Now i want a thermaltake case

They are so l33t with there 5 fans :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

opps was looking at the IC7-G that's the one with 6.1 another good reason to buy the IC7-G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

I would definately go for the athlon xp 2800+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

That P4 2.4 and the IC7 is one excellent combo..

I have one here and I have the P4 running at 3.3Ghz @ 1.1Ghz FSB (QDR) .Not bad at all

A lot of people are getting 3Ghz from the P4 2.4 with 1Ghz FSB with default voltage.

I tell you a 3200+ AMD has trouble keeping up with the P4 3GHz .

If you wish check it out here
    The interesting bit starts here

5.1 is what it says on komplett.

damn you people :P Now i want a thermaltake case

They are so l33t with there 5 fans :P

Its 7 fans :p

aye i am very tempted to get an ic-7 but for the fact that i dream of someday having a gblan :P

some kid of built in lan is nice which is why i like the ic7-g, and raid, sure why not :P

although i could always get summit l33t for the €60 that i'd save ;)

(p.s. Thorbar i will be using the geforce 4 ti 4600I have already with it)

Venom seeing as you are getting the whole hog, the elara evolution series is well worth a peek.
    How much does that lot set you back?

About €600 as Im selling of my old Dell 8200 less the various bits and bobs I need for the new PC for €400 :)

Forgot about the built in sound tho :)

• Advertisement

:p

w00t! getting the same thermaltake case as venom cept its blue and windowless (as pretty as the windows are :P)

To subsidise this i will downgraded mobo to the ic7.

suggestions on top of this? :P

GOGOGO!

(gonna be some serious overclocking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Im going for the Xaser III as well with the window just dont know which colour black or blue cant make my mind up.
    The Xaser III keyboard looks pretty nice too.Even just if you wanna match your case.

Thermaltake

Fonna get a Thermaltake P4 Spark 7 on top of the lot, because i have a distrust of stock cooling :p

It got very good reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The ThermalTake case might have all the bells and whistles (or at least some of them), but it's seriously hideously ugly.

Ever considered something a bit nicer/smaller/more stylish, like the Lanboy? :)

:p

w00t! getting the same thermaltake case as venom cept its blue and windowless (as pretty as the windows are :P)

To subsidise this i will downgraded mobo to the ic7.

suggestions on top of this? :P

GOGOGO!

(gonna be some serious overclocking)

Those case's just smack of quality :)
    Very well built and include everything you need like screws and brackets etc.

Originally posted by koneko
    The ThermalTake case might have all the bells and whistles (or at least some of them), but it's seriously hideously ugly.

Dont make me slap you koneko :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Venom
    Those case's just smack of quality :)
    Very well built and include everything you need like screws and brackets etc.

I remember when I saw people talking about them and I decided it might be worth a look at this "l33t" case... christ was I wrong, that thing is the cheapest looking POS out there. Its big, plasticly, gaudy... if you think it smacks of quality, what are you views on the high end Antec or Lian Li cases? If they just put less plastic on the front it would be a major improvement. Im sure the rest of it is decent.

Surely money would be better spent on (cringe) the PC World Aluminium case?

Matt

450W Q-TEC PSU,

If you are gonna be doing some overclocking Id lose the Qtec and get a proper, meaty PSU. Ie: Antec, PC PowerandCooling, maybe Enermax. Ive heard "Advance" are good too.

QTec PSUs are competent supplies, but you are gonna need something good, not competent.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

with 7 fans on case you will have a noisy rig,

Take it from me, I have a coolermaster atcs rig and a 520 watt

Hiper psu, and with 3 xtra fans its as noisy as hell, tried to install

a p4 3.06 chip and the case was jumping across the desk, so

with 7 fans i hate to guess what the noise levels would be like.

Just adding my 2 cents worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Heavy too I bet. But it's all a matter of choice.
    Tbh if I had to choose between these two styles, I know which I'd go for:

xaser3v10002B.jpeg
    or
    LANBOY.jpeg

Not necessarily the Lanboy because I know some people like their space, but something like it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    I remember when I saw people talking about them and I decided it might be worth a look at this "l33t" case... christ was I wrong, that thing is the cheapest looking POS out there. Its big, plasticly, gaudy... if you think it smacks of quality, what are you views on the high end Antec or Lian Li cases? If they just put less plastic on the front it would be a major improvement. Im sure the rest of it is decent.

Surely money would be better spent on (cringe) the PC World Aluminium case?

Matt

Matt I dont know what case you have been looking at but mine is all metal with the only plastic at the joint between the front and top/sides of the case. The face is solid steel and in the flesh so to speak, you cant see any plastic without having to look very close and from a weird angle.

Each to there own I suppose, but if you havent seen a Thermaltake in real life, then maybe you shouldnt comment on their build quality :P

Really? I have seen one in the flesh (on display) and from recollection I thought the front bezel was plastic. It just seemed to have too "much" on there to be metal (and too much full stop).

I never commented on the build quality mind you, merely commented that I thought they looked naff. :p

Matt

Every part of the bezel is steel, tho the casing behind where the cd and floppy drives would go are plastic.

As with ever thing in the world it boils down to personal taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I have 13 fans in my PC , thank god i removed the 80mm black label delta screamer >_< , still sounds like a 747 on takeoff

Originally posted by koneko

Ahh it grows on you :p.

It certainly isn't bad quality, i have read several reviews on the case and all have been quite positive. Lookswise I originally thought it looked horrible but it grows on you:p.

If I were to go for an altermitaive it would be a high end antec, (which was originally what was gonna go for). I figure though, a case is something i will be keping for a long time, through 2/3/4 computers. Why not go the extra mile and get the best :P (nearly)

AS for the fans, i can always turn them down. :P

Have ordered, getting an is7-e mobo and a 2.6c cpu and a 550w qtec psu.

everythingelse remains the same

Advertisement