Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Intro Cutscene/gameplay

Options
  • 10-06-2003 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Got the idea from the best intro on the films board...

What game in your opinion has the best intro ( cut scene ) ...and

What game has the best opening i.e game play bits , I find the best openings are when your thrown into the action not knowing whats going on and find out whats happening as the story unfolds...like in the "Resident Evil" games...

anywho whadyah think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Best opening..... System Shock 1+2. You haven't a clue whats happened. Loads of dead bodies, snippets of logs give you a small idea of what has happened, screams in the distance. Brilliant stuff...

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The best cutscenes have to be from Dungeon Keeper 2. Who can fail to laugh at a giant playing squash with a live chicken?The intro was damn cool too, a nice mix of evil, action and comedy.

Favourite intro is probably Half Life. There's just something about that tram ride...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

gotta agree with TmB - system shock all the way

The tram ride in halflife was good first time round - every other time i've played it its just annoying as hell since u cant skip it :(

oh n the intro from neverwinter nights was damn cool too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The intro to Freespace (the original), the lone fighter emerging from hyperspace,pilot in hysterics, his ship almost completely destroyed shouting "Theyre following ME, I need fighters, send FIGHTERS!!!" and the silly biddy controlling the space station has no idea whats going on, but its too late, the giant hyperspace tunnel is already forming........aaaargh!!!!

wow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

best intro:

MoH:AA
    Rally Champ 2000 :)
    BattleField

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

I like the Mechwarrior 4 intro

Freespace was pretty cool alright

But my all time favourite intro has to be fallout 2 simply because of the great "War, War never changes......" speechy type thing. Tis class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

MGS 2 had an impressive in-game intro cut-scene, the one where Snake was jumping off the George Washington bridge onto the tanker in his stealth suit. That's the only intro that comes to mind really. Half-Life's intro was boring

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It has to the Final Fantasy VII Intro. It was amazing for the time and still is beautiful to watch. It starts with the camera on a flower selling girl and follows her for a while before panning out to reveal the huge metropolitan sh*thole where she lives. Then the camera zooms in to the city again following a train, where a fight ensues. Then it's straight into the terrorist bombing mission which instead of foiling you're actually one of the terrorists. This just grabbed me by the balls and didn't let go until I finished the game and I even neglected my leaving cert slightly because of it. Original as well since you're the terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

gta 3 and gta vice to a lesser extent, mgs2 kicked ass, q3 one is good if it wasn't so rough looking- poor quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Monkey Island 1 - the fight with the sheriff. It still has me pissing myself laughing to this day.

"Use wax lips on angry rhinocerous"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

i would have to vote for thief - the dark project, the intro was just... different. and original, and interesting.

also, half-life has to get a mention for being original, constant first person view tram ride rules

and c&c red alert

so many memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

best intro

broken sword is there somewhere, but i loved the really tacky intro to resident evil(original)

my favourite early bit from a game is mario 64, bobomb battlefield is the best designed level i've ever seen, homeworld was really cool early on too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

max payne - "the final gunshot was an exclaimation point to everything that had led up to this point" brings a smile to my face every time.

half-life's intro was too boring, it took me 2 weeks of sitting through about 2 minutes of it & then quitting from boredom before i actually played the game. i'm glad i did sit through it eventually.
    it always puts me off re playing the game tho (fortunately i backed up my savegame from where the train stops)

return to castle wolfenstein - i love the intro vid to that.

interstate '76 - "never get out of the car!":D

super metroid - some of the finest intro gameplay ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It wasn't very exciting but for the sheer "wow, that looks damn expensive" effect I would have to say the intro to I-War. It has as CGI intro at least as good as Final Fantasy (the movie) ... it is also quite well voice acted and scripted, leading you nicely into the story behind the game. I remember being very impressed the first time I saw it.

I agree that the Half Life tram intro was revolutionary the first time you play it, but after that you just want to start the fecking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Final Fantasy 8. The operatic score in the background and some of th best CGI of the time. Sets the mood very well. Very Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

All I ever seem to do is talk about how great FFVII is, but Retrogamer has it spot on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The FF8 intro was beautiful and exciting but I don't think it had quite the impact on me as the FF7 intro. The rest of the game didn't live up to the intro and is in my opinion the second worst FF game. FF7s intro was full of meaning and symbolism and it was great the way it was referenced in the closing cutscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Max Payne was class you think what the **** did this guy do to get all this attention from police

He paid the magazines off to give that samey repetitive piece of cack decent reviews and made me pay for it. And then he bored me with his supposedly stylish comic book crap that was just cheesy and predictable. That was his greatest crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

the comic book style story was cool!

max payne's crimes were the repetetive gameplay and random deaths that left you screaming "WHY? why was that death so random?!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The little fairy flying into Links Window in Zelda 64 but that was bettered for the minute you walk into Hyrule Field and the camera pans behind him and you just think "OMFG"

kdjac

Advertisement