Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese DVD

Options
  • 10-06-2003 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Japan and Europe are both in DVD Region 2, but we use PAL and they use NTSC. Has anyone had success playing a Japanese DVD in Ireland and did you need any special converter?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

All you need is an NTSC compatible dvd player and television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 HansBlix

Thanks. Is it fairly standard for most new TVs and DVD players to support both PAL and NTSC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah afaik, but check anyway before you go buying any

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

you should have no problems, i got a japanese dvd a while back and it works perfectly. .
    no converter, im not sure my tv is ntsc, dvd player is though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Afaik if you're tv wasnt NTSC compatible it would play the dvd in black and white. I don't think the quality would be too good either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

There will be no major difference in Quality. YOu just need to make sure your DVD player & TV can handle NTSC which most can. Some players can convert from NTSC to PAL but there is shuddering effect to take account the frame rate differences.

Gandalf.

Advertisement