Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Jam leave label

Options
  • 10-06-2003 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

Doing their own thing on the Internet.....

http://www.msnbc.com/news/921872.asp?0cv=CB20&cp1=1#BODY

..good artical that.

as band manager Kelly Curtis told me by phone, "The band made this decision 10 years ago. They had a seven-album contract and never renegotiated it like most bands do when they have the success Pearl Jam has had."
    _ _ _ _So what is at stake? Everything. If the marquee band can leave the most important label in recording history with impunity, then the major label lock on the music business is over.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, very good article.

One thing that surprised me was...
    Very few artists ever recoup and earn royalties — as Pearl Jam has undoubtedly done — and even when they do recoup, artists don’t receive ownership of their own master recordings.

Record Companies must make a serious amount of dosh! More than I expected anyway! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

<laughs manically> yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Originally posted by byte
    Record Companies must make a serious amount of dosh! More than I expected anyway! :eek:

Yea,
    L.A. music attorney Kenneth Freundlich of Schleimer & Freundlich estimates the label has raked in close to $100 million thanks to the band over the years.

they're evil I tells ya!

It's a pity something like this would only really work for a band like Pearl Jam, but I can see the next wave of record contracts being somewhat differint. No ones going to sign away 10+ years of their life to a record label if they think they can sell it themselves and keep all the cash.

Interesting times ahead.

Advertisement