Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband feature on Radio 1's Rattlebag

Options
  • 10-06-2003 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear Lou Clancy's feature on broadband on yesterday's Rattlebag on RTE Radio 1?
    He actually sounded clued-in and knew what he was talking about. He blamed eircon for expensive broadband.

It can be downloaded here: http://www.rte.ie/arts/2003/0609/rattlebag.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Yep I heard it. Myles today said, or indicated, that they wouldn't mind taking up the issue in a regular basis.

Mabye some of the "PR" people at IOFFL could give him a call. He has always seemed to be net savy at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Heh, he sounds like a warez monkey.

Does seem to know his stuff though, think I'll email them and ask them to get in touch with IOFFL...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

They did seem to cover all the main points - and in a way that your ordinary punter could comprehend. Need more and more of this sort of thing....i think its a case of creating enough pressure.

I remember being abroad a couple of years ago and being told about this thing called dsl - a friend of mine had just got connected and i didnt really fully understand the benefits of it till i went round to his house and checked it out . Then i saw what it could actually do...seeing is believeing. Looking at a rat strapped to a chair isnt going to inspire these people:rolleyes:

But the more informed discussion in the media there is, the more people will begin to realise that they're missing out on something - and the more they will want it. Building up pressure - that will eventually finds its way round the throats of politicians - and then ultimately, €ircon might find a jackboot applied to it.

Hopefully, McWilliams will follow his Newstalk piece with David up with a spot on his Agenda TV slot. Would like to see Matt Cooper do a piece on the Last Word on Today fm but i think i'm dreaming cos they're sponsored by ESAT BT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah I listened to that feature with growing surprise - both guest and host seemed to understand the issues at hand. Lou Clancey also pinned the blame for BBs cost and lack of availability firmly at eircoms door
    which was good to hear.

Rattlebag is'nt the place you expect to hear internet being discussed and the fact it was is a very good sign. Marriane Finucanes morining programme is curently running for 2 hours and she's been willing to look at communications issues in the past (NTL/Eurosport controversy) I'd say her show was worth an outline inquiry
    from IOFFL marian@rte.ie

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by mike65
    Yeah I listened to that feature with growing surprise - both guest and host seemed to understand the issues at hand.
    That surprised me also - I was waiting for him to say something that would make me think "that's a load of BS", but it didn't happen. nice to hear some radio people that seem to be really clued in.

:ninja:

• Advertisement
Advertisement