Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to ship heavy items from US??

Options
  • 10-06-2003 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

OK I didnt have a notion where to put this & thought that businesses might have a bit of shipping experience...

Anyway how do I go about getting a heavy item >45KG from the States to here without paying more than say $100?
    Time is not a problem, if it takes 8 weeks or more I dont care once it gets here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

a camel if time is not a prob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

just joking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

would have to be a swimming camel though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Not strictly helpful to you but I had 40Kg of assorted crap shipped to my address in the UK from Australia. It cost me (if memory serves) A$230 including insurance up to A$1000. It took a little over 12 weeks to be delivered (although they claimed 6-8 weeks). It was a door-to-door service. Factoring in exchange rates and distances involved (together with increased popularity for transatlantic shipping) you should get what you are looking for at $100. I'd imagine that google will be your friend in finding a shipping company suitable for your needs. Good luck.

That sounds like something that would do the trick nicely.
    I did a bit of googling before I posted this but could only find commercial shipping companies. Anyone have any US providers of such a service?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

The service I used was tailored for backpackers. If there are any hostels in the area you are seeking to ship from you could contact them or maybe check the 'links' sections of their websites?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

That place you are looking for that ships backpackers stuff is called Seven Seas Baggage Worldwide..

They seem to cover most of the world and the site offers a chance to request a quote.. most prices are quoted in sterling but it seems to be what youre looking for.

Tel: 0044 800 21 66 98

Best of luck,

Tox :)

Thanks Tox,
    Am checking them out now, the quote form is looking for a UK address but I'm sure there's some way around that.

Regards,
    Air.

Max weight with all of these crowds seems to be 30kg. I'm trying to ship a single item that weighs 42kg, time to buy a boat i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

there are crowds who will ship a piece of furniture for you. From my experience in asia and elsewhere in Europe, it'll cost you a bit more than EUR 100 though. I think it usually depends on volume as much as on weight. This sort of service is offered through the kinds of places that ship furniture for people who are moving abroad.

If you are shipping from one of the big Irish centres, it's worth asking around to see if there's anyone moving back to the ol' country. Generally people do this by having an entire container shipped back, which is actually quite economical.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of proper packaging for your mysterious and heavy item.

• Advertisement

its actually a nifty minature lathe thats not available in europe. will look into the furniture type businesses.
    I have plenty of contacts to ship it for me but need to find an appropriate route.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Minature lathe eh? Don't sit on it - you'll get a nasty turn

(last person on the planet to find the Two Ronnies funny)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by sceptre
    (last person on the planet to find the Two Ronnies funny)
    Blasphemy!

quite the comedian!

Advertisement