Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oh yes.. History..

Options
  • 10-06-2003 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

great paper, everything went well considering the fact that i had only studied 5 topics, 4 of which came up for me ... my special topic covering the other question

however, i wrote about 3/4 pages (5 in my writing) on each topic but i had no real lay-out ... it was mostly just all put together on the spot and it seemed to flow pretty well

what im wondering is, with the marking scheme the way it is, will i lose many marks for not answering the question in the lay-out specified? if so how many? (i was never thought on how to lay-out my answers or that it's marked on paragraphs)

i answered every question... and i realisticly reckon i got about a B2... but seeing i had no real "lay-out", what do you people think that this mark would be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Its 60 marks for information contained and 20 for the correctors overall thoughts on the paper. (ie 17-20 very good etc)

Sometimes the marking scheme can state maximum marks if you didnt address the question say only doing one dictator when it ask for two or whatever. In cases like this you might only get 40 or 50 instead of 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

so... even though i havn't laid my essays out into neatly formed paragraphs, each dealing with a specific part of the essay, i could still score high marks?

i thought they were marked by paragraphs or something, each being marked out of 10? or so i heard today, after doing the feckin' exam...

any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

Markers are given a broad definition of a paragraph, so don't worry.

From 2002 marking scheme
    "
    PARAGRAPH/PARAGRAPH EQUIVALENTS
    (i) A relevant introduction: giving the background situation and/or defining the
    terms and explaining the approach.
    (ii) An episode, phase or stage in a sequence of events.
    (iii) An aspect of a topic, with supporting factual references.
    (iv) A point in an argument or discussion, with supporting factual references.
    (v) An explanation of a concept or term, with supporting factual references.
    (vi) A number of relevant, significant statements of fact, explanation or comment,
    which although not connected or related, can be put together or assessed as a
    paragraph equivalent.
    (vii) A good concluding paragraph or summation which is not mere repetition.
    (summation which is mere repetition = 4 CMs max.)
    N.B.: the entire answer is to be blocked into paragraphs/paragraph equivalents.
    But irrelevant, insignificant or erroneous statements together with needless
    repetitions may be ignored.
    "

Full marking scheme document is available for download on education.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

ok, thx, that clears everything up .. i'm hopefully still on track for at least a B in history...
    however some of my conclusions were infact just mere repetitions and summations of what i had covered which may bring me down to a C.. depends on the examiner i suppose..

k, time to study for business..

Advertisement