Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN and analogue modems

Options
  • 10-06-2003 10:05pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just confirming something here: there's no reason I can't use a POTS modem on an ISDN line, right? As long as it's plugged into an analogue port?

I got a call from Biddy yesterday letting me know that my ISDN line should be installed tomorrow (yay!). She asked if I had a TA, warning that I'll lose Internet connectivity if I don't.

I have an old BT Speedway card kicking around somewhere, but I'm not psyched up by any means to install it yet (if it even works!). I can just plug the old modem into the ISDN wall box for now, right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

you can

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Indeed I can, and have!

Seems ISDN over FWA doesn't come with analogue ports, so I had to borrow a Diva to plug my old phones back in, which kinda sucks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ooooh , no A/D converter like a highspeed box.

any other news seeing as you had them out at the house. ?

Seeing as it's after 6, I can take my time and give a detailed report! ;)

Got a phone call 2 days ago as I said, checking whether I had a TA. I rather stupidly worked on the assumption that whatever they installed would have an analogue presentation, so I told her it was all under control. You live and learn.

Phone call shortly after 9 this morning to inform me that both POTS lines (copper and FWA) would be going down shortly.

Around 9:30, the engineer arrived (very pleasant chap, but then I've had nothing but good experiences with Eircom's FWA people on the ground). He plugged his laptop into the old Airspan CPE, checked a few parameters, and then disconnected it.

He brought a new box with him - totally different form factor to the old one. It has an RJ45 connector for the BRA interface and a serial connector for programming it - that's it. The PSU is much bigger, with a nice chunky lead/acid backup battery.

It was panic stations when I realised there were no POTS interfaces on the new box, but he managed to scrounge an Eicon Diva from somewhere, and configged it for me. As of now, I'm essentially where I was before: two analogue lines, same phone numbers.

I have to get my own TA, 'cos wherever he got the Diva they want it back. I'll probably get a Diva myself to keep the analogue ports - I still need to plug ordinary phones into both lines. That pretty much ties my to a serial PC interface, doesn't it?

Bottom line: Eircom supplied me with ISDN over FWA. Yesterday I got a letter from ComReg, so it seems this whole episode is a result of my complaint. Complaining works! Yay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Was there any upgrade path from ISDN that yer man had heard of and was it another Airspan?

and congrats with the complaint. FRIACO looms large too.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Muck
    Was there any upgrade path from ISDN that yer man had heard of and was it another Airspan?
    Didn't even think to ask him, my bad, under a lot of pressure today. :(
    and congrats with the complaint. FRIACO looms large too.
    Believe me, I've got my name down for it already!

Advertisement