Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

line splitter/DAC/pairgain/whatever its called

Options
  • 10-06-2003 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I know i've got a line splitter on my line, because a few years ago when they were installing a second phone line, they asked us if they could install it, and being the idiots we were at the time, we let them.

I asked eircom to remove it and they said they didn't know what a splitter was (no surprise there)

I asked ComReg what my options were and I got an answer from them that was as clear as mud.

Ive searched through a few forums on boards.ie and I've gotten several conflicting answers.

So here is my question:

Is there any way that I can get this god forsaken thing off my line? The second half of the line isn't even being used (we later got rid of the second line because we didnt need it, but the splitter is still there).

I use UTV for telephony services.

If there is a way of getting rid of it, who do i ask? If I ring eircom, I'm about 90% sure that they will say they've never heard of splitters (again). Can I ring UTV about it?

Thanks again,
    andrew

PS and before any of you suggest it, I can't take a hammer to it because it's underground :ninja: .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

tis very strange that eircom never heard of their own splitters before, considering they put it there in the first place.

If your talking to drones forget it, braincells of an amoeba that lot, talk to a customer care manager youll have to go through alot of grief and abuse to do it though so be prepared.

basically putting a splitter on you line is illegal (according to others on the board), not me just saying it, conatct comreg again and state clearly and concisely that you have this device and that you want it removed

failin all that little lot, not much ye can do cept get a shovel out

Regards
    Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I doubt if the people on the phones have any means of removing pair gain systems. All they can do is what the computer allows them.

You may need to get a new line, but the danger here is that they will split someone elses line, so you will have two split lines. To ensure this doesn't happen, you probably need to speak to an engineer at the local exchange.

Also, contact ComReg and find out what your rights are and what you can do, if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

ill try what shin said about a customer care manager (i didn't even know they knew what "customer care" meant in eircom).....

thanks for the replies,
    andrew

k well i finally rang them....

heres roughly what was said between us:

ME: hi im not sure if i have the right place here. The line im on now is split, and i was wondering if i could have the spltter removed
    REP: split, using a carrier?
    ME: im not sure, but ive heard it being referred to as a pairgain.
    REP: hmmmm, im not sure if that's possible. why do you want it removed?
    ME: because its slowing down the internet, and ive also heard that because i'm using another utv as my carrier, it's illegal for eircom to use them.
    REP: im not sure about that
    ME: thats what comreg told me
    REP: uhhh....ok ill contact an engineer about it, but i cant guarantee anything.
    ME: ok thanks
    REP: bye
    ME: *hangs up phone*
    ME: *cough* bastard

would this be a good reply by eircom standards, or is it just the start of a splitter war?

thanks again,
    andrew

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by andrew163
    would this be a good reply by eircom standards, or is it just the start of a splitter war?

Yeah, that sounds pretty much like €ircon. Thing is whoever you were talking to will probably do nothing about your query. There has been more than one occasion when I and people I know have asked €ircon to do stuff and when I've rang back they have no idea what you're on about and say nothing has been done about the 'so called' query. Kermet and Miss Piggy aren't a patch on €ircon.

• Advertisement

ah well and I was so looking forward to a non-argumentative solution to this.......

battlestations! :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Any time you deal with people in Eircon get name, rank and serial numbers off 'em ... otherwise they will tell you any lie that springs into their heads to get you off their backs ... also try to get past the first level of staff (mostly muppets, very few people that are helpful) and get on to a supervisor / manager ... try to get the number of the engineer at the excahnge too, this might be nearly impossible though....

k well i finally rang them....

heres roughly what was said between us:

ME: hi im not sure if i have the right place here. The line im on now is split, and i was wondering if i could have the spltter removed
    REP: split, using a carrier?
    ME: im not sure, but ive heard it being referred to as a pairgain.
    REP: hmmmm, im not sure if that's possible. why do you want it removed?
    ME: because its slowing down the internet, and ive also heard that because i'm using another utv as my carrier, it's illegal for eircom to use them.
    REP: im not sure about that
    ME: thats what comreg told me
    REP: uhhh....ok ill contact an engineer about it, but i cant guarantee anything.
    ME: ok thanks
    REP: bye
    ME: *hangs up phone*
    ME: *cough* bastard

thanks again,
    andrew

Unfortunately thats the standard response to every single quey eircon gets, well well talk to someone and get back to you, but they never do, i myself have left 2 messages for the customer care muppet to ring me back, has not done so as per fing usual

So take it to the higher ups, cause if your relying on the drones to ring you back or get someone to ring you back then forget it

Regards
    Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FirA_Fascio

if u ring eircom with a more aggressive attitude and its obvious ur on to their little series of nationwide scams they'll either act the total idiot or simply cut you off. its always best to ring or email the high-up people, such as dr. (dictator) phil nolan's secretary.

phil.nolan@eircom.ie
    (01) 701 5542 (Helen Stanton, apparent second-in-command to nolan)

<snipped - see below>

feel free to use the above information to your own entertainment.

:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by FirA_Fascio
    ifeel free to use the above information to your own entertainment.
    Good grief. Muck's evil twin has arrived:) (welcome etc)

Makes sense to be honest - always bother the highest relevant person in the organisation you can get your grubby paws on. Those chaps over on the digitalspy forums in the UK swear by emailing Tony Ball any time they've a serious problem with Sky.

I edited one comment out of your post - suggestions on nuking inboxes or DoSing servers are things we've a strict policy of nuking ourselves - partly from a social responsibility point of view (two wrongs don't make a right unless you're Charles J Haughey or Richard Nixon) & partly from that whole legal standpoint.

• Advertisement

lol Muck's evil twin? an elaboration would be appreciated lol

well i think nolan deserves everything thats coming to him

and the fact that he's not even irish (well if he is he comes from a place with an unknown accent) makes it worse. he might have been sent by a foreign government to doom our telecom industry.

the only reason they're denying the ownership, or even the existence of big fat splitter boxes with a hugely unmistakeable EIRCOM PAIRGAIN logos on them, is because if the oblivious public discover what eircom are REALLY about, they'll change to different phone providers and eircom will go bankrupt.... hey thats not a bad idea actually... a hyuk hyuk hyuk!
    :rolleyes:

regards from the shadows of the eircom-hating organization known as the FirA ;)
    Fascio

sent e-mail, listing everything yet again, will await reply if i ever get one lol

regards

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

well i think nolan deserves everything thats coming to him

the only reason they're denying the ownership, or even the existence of big fat splitter boxes with a hugely unmistakeable EIRCOM PAIRGAIN logos on them, is because if the oblivious public discover what eircom are REALLY about, they'll change to different phone providers.

/me is not evil :D most of the time anyway.

Look at the USO thread in the Market Issues board. I am trying to get people to hassle Comreg on this Pairgain issue as a matter of priority by the 04/07/03 The policy that Comreg sets in regard to pairgains will last until end 2006 or early 2007 so I am damned if I am going to stand by doing nothing

a) pay €23.05 a month line rental...still the highest analogue rental in Europe and

b) get my line pairgained as well and

c) have Comreg telling me 'we can do nothing before 2007

Keep publishing those email addresses, Biddy is useless and powerless, lets hassle the ones who are responsible for this farrago instead .....and would that be hstanton@eircom.ie

There is no different provider , Eircom own all the copper.

M

:D keep those email addresses coming people :ninja:

/sevillaugh

thanks

yeah but if u change to a different provider like utv or ntl, eircom will only get ur ridiculously high line rental and, the usual anti-war peace offering from rival companies, in brown paper envelopes.. well at least thats all i HOPE they get.

i got helen stanton's number after i sent a threatening email to nolan and SHE replied with 'david, please call me on this number to discuss the below email' and she sent back a copy of the email.

i am encouraging the country to constantly call this number and hassle her royal second-in-command majesty. or, better yet, ring comreg and have a go at them for not declaring war on eircom about the whole high prices/splitter scam.

alright I've emailed the Head Rat, the second-in-command, the eircom drones and ComReg about this....

And now, I wait.................... :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Muck's one of our experts on pretty much everything - including who's working for who in telcoland. It's a compliment, believe me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 FirA_Serjio

PS and before any of you suggest it, I can't take a hammer to it because it's underground :ninja: .

I thot ur splitter was above ground :confused: in that big gray box thingy?

when i wrote that, i thought it was underground in that huge big metal-covered hole in the ground.

splitters can be above and below ground

regards

shin

viewmount estate actually has no telephone lines or poles above ground, all the telephony wiring is under the sod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Is it true that splitting a line now is illegal? My connection speed has gone from a consistant 52.4kb/s to 31.2kb/s and never any higher. There are others in my estate with the same problem and it's a new estate too. With all the new houses coming on line it seems that The Rat are just splitting existing lines instead of installing new copper. I thought it was a case that after April 2002 it was illegal for €ircon to split lines or was a dreaming that?

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Is it true that splitting a line now is illegal? My connection speed has gone from a consistant 52.4kb/s to 31.2kb/s and never any higher. There are others in my estate with the same problem and it's a new estate too. With all the new houses coming on line it seems that The Rat are just splitting existing lines instead of installing new copper. I thought it was a case that after April 2002 it was illegal for €ircon to split lines or was a dreaming that?

If you're connecting at 31.2k all then you definitely have a splitter.
    I thought it was illegal too... but apparently not...

Just constantly harrass €ircon to take the splitter off. They might give in eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Very Illegal under the CLFMP , search posts from last year on this subject . Lines cannot be split since April 2002

M

Hi,

Haven't seen this thread for a while......anyways.......

Since I started this thread I've managed to harass eircom into giving me a full line........

I emailed Nolan, the email got to Stanton, who then passed me through about 3 different departments, until I got to someone called Pheena Lonergan....

I spent about 3 months arguing with her over the thing, my main strategy was to find fault in EVERYTHING she said. Dissect every single word in the email. Whatever it is, if it puts eircom in a corner that they can't easily talk their way out of, use it. NEVER give up. Try to only use factual information, so then if eircom tell you otherwise, you can show them proof that you know they're lieing. After a while they'll just get so sick of listening to you that they'll give in.

If they use ye olde "no spare capacity" excuse then just say to them "if theres no new capacity, then how are you giving new estates phone lines. Are you just going to split everyone elses?" or something like that. The next communication I received from them after saying that was an engineer coming to the door to "remove that grey box on yer wall".

Pheena Lonergan's email address is:
    PLonergan@eircom.ie

It's funny.......after all that arguing, it took the engineer a whole entire 15 minutes to remove the box :rolleyes: .

Enjoy the war! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Hmm, it may well be time to put some time and effort into getting that blastid thing removed from my line. It'll give, what, 20kbits of extra upload bandwidth, but it'd be nice to gain anything over Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Enjoy the war! :D

that will be my next route to removing the blasted thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I think this goes to show that I'm going to have to pester Eircom a lot to get my splitter removed, the damn thing was meant to be a month ago, once I cutoff my line.... It's been over a month now, so they're going to get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

hi i know i am dragging up an old thread but today after only having a connection speed of 12000kps to 16000bps i am now connected at 31200kps and earlier was connected at 44000bps. This is after contacting pheeney lonergan she said she would do her best and she did......I didnt say where i got her name just said a friend of a friend.....but it worked...
    thanks
    gonk

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Gonker, did u just send her a mail tellin her that ur line was split and that you wanted to get the box removed????

How long did it take to argue with her and get the work done?

Cheers

BTW - Line splitting IS illegal, was onto COMREG and they told me that since me line was installed since '94 then tough luck!!!

I wonder what miss Longergan will do for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i only ever connect at 28800bps, the other lad in the house who also uses the internet manages to get 31200bps. Me thinks we're on a splitter too, especially cause we're in a flat in a converted big old georgian house with 3 other flats.
    What does one of these line splitter boxes look like (dont say rectangular or square like a box!:rolleyes: ). Would there be eircom logos on it? Would it be located inside or outside the house or on the telephone pole? anyone be able to post a picture for reference?

Advertisement