Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bogdan Raczynski

• 10-06-2003 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Anyone know / like this mad drum n basser? I immediatly fell in love with his album 'samurai math beats' upon hearing it for the first time; i'd urge anyone out there to rush out and buy / download it.. it's the biznis. His new album 'boku mo wakaran' isn't too bad either...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

its not drum and bass, however he much he tries to make it so....
    it really pisses me off when all these oh-so-clever "ëxperimental" types make albums that are basically just pisstakes of ragga jungle edits with cartoon noises and vowel-less titles and think theyre really really intellectual, despite their utter lack of respect for the roots of the tradition they are raping, or of their inability to have ever conceived of it themselves in the first place... so big deal richard james/mike paradinas/bogdan rascynski can make drum and bass sell thousands of records just by painting a funny picture on the front and then, purely by maintaing some rbbish image of being "avant garde intellectuals" they can sell a watered down nondanceable irrelevant joyless version of jungle to a middleclass nme reading audience.... drum and bass without the danger, without the viscerality with all the life sucked out of it.... safe mediocrity...
    check out photeks "modus operandi" for an album of mindblowing music by someone who transcends drum and bass yet respects it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

I heard a samuri math beats the song and think its class

They're not "intellectual" they just don't take the "roots of the tradition" seriously so as to make a fresh sound.

"so big deal" yea,they try push the boundarys of both ur view point of the artist and the music. They ain't super fukin duper traditionalists(bleugh)&don't claim to be so crawl back up ur arse will ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Although there tends to be the occasional self-proclaimed intellectuals in the idm scene (and i don't find any fault at all with it being called intelligent dance music, it is far more stimulating than listening to the same 4/4 rhythms repeated over and over and over again as in house, trace or techno or whatever the current trend for junkies is) i don't at all think bogdan raczynski is one of them.. He stays close to original drum n bass rhythm patterns, and anyways, if he didn't vary them, why would you want to listen to the same old drum n bass ideas?

Christ it's only using new ideas with drum n bass - if you were to hold true to your ideas on keeping in vein with traditionality i suppose you'd dispise drill n bass aswell but I somehow doubt that. Unless you're totally insane..

check out paradox, danny breaks, naphta, polar, modus operandi-era photek for starters and you will see that all of that drill n bass /warpy pseudo stuff has not one tenth of the power of serious precision breakbeat atmospherics.

Was recommended modus operandi a good while ago (before this thread) and i got it, but wasn't very impressed with the snippets that i had time to listen to..

Couldn't recommend a few tracks to listen to in particular could you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Drum and Bass/Jungle is pretty stagnant right now. The "scene" in Dublin is amazingly fun, the Bassbin night on Saturday is probably the best club night in Dublin. However the music behind it all hasn't really gone anywhere in the past few years in my opinion.

I got Modus Operandi when it came out way back in 1997 and it's an amazing drum and bass album but it has dated, just like the rest of the dnb I've heard.

As for "Warp pseudo stuff", well Warp records themselves are also getting a bit same-y. For some cutting edge check out Si Begg's new album "Director's Cut" on Novamute (or anything else by him). On the Irish tip (haha, best saying ever), check out the new Decal album on Rotters Golf Club Records (run by Keith Tenniswood) called Brightest Star. It's electro though, nothing to do with dnb.

You can check out an electro mix I did here: http://homepage.eircom.net/~audio1/ewm.html. Around 80 megs so don't try it on dial up. :)

smokerings and axiom are the best two tunes on the album imo...
    do you have the cd version with ni ten ichi ryu on it??? its not on the vinyl but came out shortly before it and since the hidden camera is on the album i couild never work out why it werent on the vinyl... thats an amazing tune too...
    and steve i think youre worng about the state of drum and bass now, theres an awful lot of new labels and producers in the last 18 months that are springing up and relpacing the stale old guard, although its tragic to see how ****e all of teh people i used to look up to have become... you dont want to know what kind of tripe dillinja is putting out these days... even photek's most recent release before buggering off to do a hip hop album was pretty half-arsed, albeit in a funky danceable way...

see if you can find paradox - the musicain as outsider on reinforced records [the daddys of drum and bass]

Originally posted by Son of Blam

You can check out an electro mix I did here: http://homepage.eircom.net/~audio1/ewm.html. Around 80 megs so don't try it on dial up. :)

on the contrary... :) I'm on dialup and i'm downloading loadsa sets from 412dnb.com, mostly around 70 to 80mb each. two very nice ones people might be interested in:

http://412dnb.com/~cutup/audio/mixes/cutups/redrush_128.mp3
    http://412dnb.com/~cutup/audio/other/soundmurderer/soundmurderer%20-%20massive-ragga-set.mp3

check out http://v2.drumandbass.at/board/mixes.php?

if its drum and bass, and its ever been played over a loud soundsystem with more than three ppl dancing, then odds are it will turn up on this site.

if you can find the Photek Live @ Vibeflow (11/02/2002) mix on the bottom of the first page you'll get a nice recording of a radio show interview he did on german pirate radio showcasing loads of old stuff and a rake of new unreleased stuff, including his experimental hip hop projest [do or die] and his actually rather good remix of last years Dillinja anthem "thugged out bitch"

What do yee think of squarepushers "do u know squarepusher"
    album? I recommend it,he tries the boundary pushing quite a bit!
    Or venetian snares,only heard a bit a his stuff but v hardcore strange beats which i find admirably fresh.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Cheez
    What do yee think of squarepushers "do u know squarepusher"
    album? I recommend it,he tries the boundary pushing quite a bit!
    Or venetian snares,only heard a bit a his stuff but v hardcore strange beats which i find admirably fresh.

quite good, anstromm-feck 4 is an amazing track... I think Big Loada is far superior though, really versatile and varied album. Go Plastic! is pretty good aswell I hear, but i've yet to get it..

Have a few venetian snares albums but I've not got the time to listen to them yet.. A bit noisy and more abstract from the snippets i've listened to ..

I love F-Train aswell,you can get the lyrics here

Must get that big loada so,ive only bin d/lin tracks off de net
    That and "hard normal daddy" are supposed to be class
    I just dont got the cash,cd's are a fukin rip off

Ah the joys of a burn

Advertisement