Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is netsource gone poor again.. for some and not others

Options
  • 10-06-2003 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

??

could it be to do with them not having a dl cap.. could that cause the problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Well it was down for everyone earlier today as far as I know, it didn't matter what exchange you were on or what package you were paying for come 11am to 2pm today everything on the high speed frontier went completely dead.
    Of course it's to do with them not having a cap but I get the feeling it's also the fact that they just don't have the infrastructure in place to deal with the service they're meant to be providing. This is the second time in a month that the service has just totally died for everyone, lets hope it's the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I came home today and checked the ping and it was pinging to netsource.ie at 30-40ms. I then left it on for about an hour doing nothing, but when i came back at about 19:00 the pings were back to 200ms. The routing has been fixed for me but the pings haven't, however I am wondering if I have exceptionally high pings because the other users on my exchange are warez monkeys or somefink. I am on the Douglas, Cork exchange and afaik there are only 3 others with netsource on it or so the person on the phone said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'm on the Douglas exchange in Cork aswell and my pings have really gone downhill tonight. At about 4.30~5pm today my pings were grand and downloading at about 40k/sec now I'm lucky to hit 15k/sec with pings at around 200ms :mad:

Is it just me or should pings be getting worse the later into the night you go as more people leave their PCs on to download stuff overnight?

I can understand that but my connection started to really go downhill about 8pm. To me that seems a little early to be the nighttime downloaders but you could be right. Unfortunatly I can't test it in the morning/afternoon as I'm in college all day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Sloth
    Is it just me or should pings be getting worse the later into the night you go as more people leave their PCs on to download stuff overnight?
    The opposite for me it speedl has improved and pings are 40ms faster or therabouts on average.

Welp because I'm on the ADSL package my pings are always stable but boring, a rock solid 50-80ms seemingly at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

:mad:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Brian>ping www.netsource.ie

Pinging www.netsource.ie [212.17.32.48] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=204ms TTL=127
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=228ms TTL=127
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=209ms TTL=127
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=178ms TTL=127

Ping statistics for 212.17.32.48:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 178ms, Maximum = 228ms, Average = 204ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Brian>

oh yay it's 4:15 and i still dont have a decent ping
    (Douglas Exchange)

At about 7.55am this morning my pings had droped to between 50ms - 100ms and dl speed was about 40k/sec. Guess it was the nighttime downloaders afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

Im on the dennehys cross exchange in Cork and Netsource seem to be gettin worse. Last weekend was up and down but it seems that evenings are now hopeless. Pings go up 250-300 d/l speeds half and web browsing starts to struggle. Again this has to do with the whole evening busy time, more users etc. But whats really worrying is that during the week days its been generally reliable but this morning pings to boards and clarity are firmly staying in the 190-200ms. I saw all this when I first got the service 3 weeks ago and seems to have gone all pear shaped again.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

It's important to remember that we are not getting a cap free service from netsource for nothing, we are paying a premium for this service, that’s why I feel the current situation is unacceptable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

ok soo all of ye who have it ring them :P all of ye.. on the one day :) and maybe they will fix it again.. like back on that friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Fix it? All they did was add a lil' bit more bandwidth , which has since been swallowed up.Can't see them doing much more with the RADSL product tbh.

carb.

my god.. thats ugly.. so this is just a crap service then :/ and not worth its money? this is ridiculous.. not a single solution for decent braod band yet..

What the hell like..
    ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Wednesday 8:33

Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=126
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=126
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=126
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=126

Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 45ms, Average = 39ms

Wednesday 19:11

Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=195ms TTL=126
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=161ms TTL=126
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=213ms TTL=126
    Reply from 212.17.32.48: bytes=32 time=208ms TTL=126

Minimum = 161ms, Maximum = 213ms, Average = 194ms

It has to be night-time downloaders, nothing else could explain these ping differences. I am on the Douglas exchange for referance purposes.

well then some ones going to have to try and get this under control...

I dont get this though a friend of mine is in Spain and he gets 256k dsl / no cap / and he is a big downloaded.. divxs and what not, but his connection is always fine.. always low ping.. always good dload rates.. and same with UK.. how come its working out for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    how come its working out for them?

Coz Eircom aren't running their infrastructre.

point taken :(

but then again what the hell is eircom doing so wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by dj_ste
    Coz Eircom aren't running their infrastructre.

ah I dunno if eircom are to blaim on this one. Netsource seem not to have enough bandwidth to deal with the demand during peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by ando
    ah I dunno if eircom are to blaim on this one. Netsource seem not to have enough bandwidth to deal with the demand during peak times

Yes but I was looking at it from a country's point of view.
    Spain obviously have decent telco's running their opperations. And not 1 giant monopolising one. That dont turn up to press interviews or bring in ludicrus caps etc.. need I go on ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    my god.. thats ugly.. so this is just a crap service then :/ and not worth its money? this is ridiculous.. not a single solution for decent braod band yet..

What the hell like..
    ffs

Even when the pings jump (back down to under 40ms at the moment tho) it hasn't effected my download speeds at all. I get just over 50KB/s all the time, no matter what the pings are like. Web pages take a second to get going, but when they do they load just as fast. Unless you're a serious gamer, it's not really a problem. I don't mind not being able to play at bb speeds at certain times, I just play later. Better than having a cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

I had high pings yesterday like I posted above, seems the service just went down for 15 minutes or so, I'm now pinging 37 and less to jolt, nice upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Jorinn
    I had high pings yesterday like I posted above, seems the service just went down for 15 minutes or so, I'm now pinging 37 and less to jolt, nice upgrade

Thats probably due to the leechers getting cut off aswell, it wasn't an upgrade and service will return to its previous state within hours.

P.

Why do I have to get cut off at 1am like everyone else though? I'm not even on RADSL yet come 1am last night everything stops except the bloody Netsource homepage with nuggets such as:

"And we’ll do it with clarity, consistency, and operational excellence. Aren’t those the qualities of the perfect business partner?"

Gah :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

I honestly think Netsource are showing there true colours now. These guys are a small time outfit and thats basically it. There RADSL service is already struggling and I can only presume that the amount of people on it at the moment couldnt be more than 300/400 subscribers? If its bad now whats it going to be like 2 months down the road. I took a gamble with Netsource and it hasnt paid off. Its consistently poor at night and ropey at best at weekends. Netsource arent providing a fraction of the bandwith needed even at this early stage. Ill have to wait till my 2 months are up then UTV or IOL are a better option for me. An uncapped service is proving to be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

well if they don't get their act together then we can jump ship. one of the main reason i signed up with netsource was because they only have a 2 month contract. and they were offering this service right from the word go.

I'll be switching to UTV if netsource can't sort the problems out.

I hope some one reads this thread from netsource :/ ... and on that e mail of complaint I sent its the 3rd day and still no reply :/

You never get a reply if you email them, you have to phone them up to get anywhere with them. A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

lol:

C:\>ping clarity.jolt.co.uk

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 32ms

this thing is so unpredictable :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just got an average ping of 48ms to jolt and had speeds of 52k/sec tonight. At this stage I'm just confused. What the hell is causing the problems?

Advertisement