Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OT: Cork fibre ring management?

Options
  • 11-06-2003 1:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the OT post: Does anyone know offhand who operates the Cork fibre ring project, or where I could find out myself?

Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

It depends on what you mean by operates. It isn't finished yet so it isn't operational but sometime in the far distant future, a Managed Services Entity (MSE) will be appointed by the Dept. to manage or operate all nineteen rings and beyond.
    As the tender hasn't been released yet, it is a ways off still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ah. I meant to ask at the time but got sidetracked: So Dermie's visit to us down in the sticks to "open" the fibre ring was just a(nother) publicity stunt then? I remember Muck ranting about it at the time but didn't really pay attention to be honest.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Take a look at the press releases on the DCMNR website. there is a collection of " Minister unveils broadband in [Insert Carlow, Cork, Waterford... Wherever] "

Anyway, whoever is doing the business in Cork is doing a great job. In addition to sticking up the NDP sign at the back of the Rochestown Park Hotel (two months after the Minister unveiled the finished product) there is another NDP sign just gone up at the Sarsfield Road roundabout. Give them another couple of years and we will have a nice ring of these pretty signs around the city. Wouldn't they make nice bases for wireless antenna..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

dahamsta,
    Waterland Technologies are Project Managing the project
    Morricom are the Civil Contractors
    There are Monthly Newsletters on the DCMNR website which give detailed update on all the projects

Regarding the roadsigns it is a requirement for every EU / NDP funded project above e650k to have road signs on the major routes into the City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Give them another couple of years and we will have a nice ring of these pretty signs around the city. Wouldn't they make nice bases for wireless antenna..........

The Big NDP signs with 3 legs etc already have the necessary Full Planning Permission , surely ............don't they ????

Anyway, they are big, hollow, aluminium and have a fibre running right past so De Rebel is absolutely correct, once they are there 5 years they don't need planning permission anymore.

M

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Ah. I meant to ask at the time but got sidetracked: So Dermie's visit to us down in the sticks to "open" the fibre ring was just a(nother) publicity stunt then? I remember Muck ranting about it at the time but didn't really pay attention to be honest.

adam

He spent the spring serially launching the opening of holes in the ground Adam. I have often driven past one such hole, the notoriabulousasticus " Western Digital Corridor "

Unlit and unused for 3 years now, so the government is organising another 2 fibre wotsits into Galway City instead. All they actually have to do is to hand Bill Murphy €20m (its cost LESS government subsidy ALREADY received by Ocean in 2000) and nationalise the feckin thing!

That sorts Galway/Athlone/Limerick/Portlaoise/Shannon/Ennis in one go. Lovely.

Coupla lasers and away ya bhoy ya.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

The NDP signs are exempt from planning permission and the contractor is obliged to maintain them for 3 years after project completion. Their location to the fibre itself is pure coincidence, they are to inform the public only.

Muck, if you lit the WDC tomorow you still would'nt provide an alternative fibre offering (outside of the duopoly) in major cities.

There are companies in the major business parks in Limerick who can't get decent connectivity from either of the duopoly regardless of the WDC.

thegills

Originally posted by thegills
    The NDP signs are exempt from planning permission and the contractor is obliged to maintain them for 3 years after project completion.

Exempted Large Scale Mast Structures dotted around beside the Fibre :D . Adam knows where to 'hang' his community WAN now .

The Potential, I love it !

M

Advertisement