Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European VCR not working in Ireland

Options
  • 11-06-2003 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

We have recently moved back from Sweden to Ireland and brough our relatively new TV and VCR with us.

I have been told that the sound signal is carried on a different frequency in Sweden (PAL-B/G : 5.5MHz) compared to Ireland (PAL-I : 6MHz). Our TV alows us to select "Uk-IRl mode" to accomodate this so we get a good pic and sound with the TV. However when we try to tune in through the VCR we get a good picture but no sound and we don't seem to have any option to change to a different mode with the VCR.

I am wondering if anybody knows some solution to this problem? Is there anything we can buy to attach to the VCR ?

Of course we can play videos and everything is fine, the problem only happens when we want to tape programs on the TV.

thanks,

Elk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Is this with the video tuned in (via the aerial) or just with the tv connected with the scart? I'd imagine that the latter should work fine... just make sure the cable has the required pins (at least 6 wired).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm not overly sure on this, but I think a Scart connector should overcome this (rather than the usual RF lead).

They are about 15 euro and can be gotten from Peats, Maplins or any TV shop.

If you go to one of the first two shops, the staff are usually knowledgable and will tell you what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Elk

when we use the scart connection we were able to record...but only when the tv was switched on. I guess that with using the SCART the VCR was able to record the signal from the the TV's tuner signal and not from its own tuner.
    We don't have cable TV...we are just using an aerial and getting RTE.

(When we moved into the flat there was cable for a few days and then we could tape....) so maybe thats our only solution.... a new video or pay for cable.

Elk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

found this thread when searching for FM Aerials.

the problem is that on your VCR the RF (co-ax) output will only work with PAL-B/G (and possibly K), likewise the RF input will only tune according to PAL-B/G

solution : buy a new VCR, unless you only use it for playback then you should just connect using a scart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What make and model is the VCR ??

Most use crystal filters to set the audio subcarrier frequency but some modern ones use pll's which may be adjustable. Thats why I ask.

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You should be able to record directly off the scart of the TV - but you would only be able to record what you were watching - though some TV's allow you to choose what goes out each scart socket - so you could watch satellite on AV1 while AV2 is sending the tuner output to the VCR

VCR's are about €50-60 so would be about as cheap as buying something to attach to your existing VCR.

Advertisement