Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband4ballinlough (cork)

Options
  • 11-06-2003 12:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

As recently mentioned in the South forum, I've created a website for a campaign to get Ballinlough exchange in Cork City upgraded for DSL. Unfortunately, due to pressure of work and conflicts of interest, I'm not in a position to take this project any further; I now need someone to take the reins before it creeps into the ever-growing depository of discarded dahamsta brainwaves (or brainfarts, depending).

There genuinely isn't a whole lot of work to do with this project. The domain name is registered and the website just needs a little TLC to finish. What the project needs now is a manager to take over and implement the plan: someone to talk to printers about getting leaflets and posters done, organise a day of letterbox-stuffing and poster-sticking, and get registrations shoved in someone's face.

It won't cost you a penny, and myself and several long-time campaigners will be there to help and advise you. There are already offers on the table to help with a leaflet drop, the domain name is paid for, the hosting is free, the site is templated so updates are easy. I should be able to grease the path towards the media, and I can be on hand to help you talk to or prepare for them.

And talk to them we will, because broadband4ballinlough will be one of the first campaigns of this kind in Ireland. We've seen two radio items in the last week alone, at least one of which clearly painted Eircom as the anti-competitive monsters that they are. Eircom's facade is beginning to crumble, people are starting to see through them, and there's nothing Irish people like more than kicking a bully when they're down.

Interested in kicking Eircom while they're down? Drop me a PM or email boardsATspamfilterDOTcc.

Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 w3bby

The exchange I'm waiting to be upgraded is hetifield. Supposidly its schedualed to be upgraded between july and september ....lol ...though because its eircom saying this I wouldnt hold my breadth, is this the exchange that will do alot of ballinlough too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 w3bby

The exchange I'm waiting to be upgraded is hetifield. Supposidly its schedualed to be upgraded between july and september ....lol ...though because its eircom saying this I wouldnt hold my breadth, is this the exchange that will do alot of ballinlough too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry, should have said: Yes, the Ballinlough exchange is Hettyfield. I say Ballinlough because a fair portion of Ballinlough wouldn't know Hettyfield it came up and yadda yadda...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Eircom told me back in March the Hettyfield exchange would be done in April bloody liars.

Im having problems with the website im using Opera 7 browser is it just me? I used to get a lot of sites that wouldnt load properly with old versions of Opera but not anymore.curious.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Chowley
    Eircom told me back in March the Hettyfield exchange would be done in April bloody liars.
    As I've said before here, they told me "a few weeks" and "next month" back in April. Netsource told me Eircom told them August. They've told someone else here September, so an actual upgrade date is anyone's guess. Is it logical to trust our fate to liars?*

The website uses layers and CSS extensively, but I've tested it in all modern browsers, including Opera, on the Windows platform and it's pretty close in all of them. "Problems" could mean anything though, it's a word I hear a lot from AOL users. Can you be more specific, including what operating system and browser you're using?

adam

Classic Groucho: Play the song about the Irish chiropodist, "My Fate is in Your Hands".

When I submit the form. It goes blank.
    Im using windows 2k pro and its Opera 7.

Opera is a bit of a bugger to develop for is it?I was messing around do a little CS website a couple of months back and it would produce sounds where as IE did.Forgot about that until now actually.

Thanks for the help anyway.:D

Have you heard anything about amocom?

When I submit the form. It goes blank.

Site's just there as a demo. Hence the 'dev' in the hostname, and my comment above "the website just needs a little TLC to finish".

Opera is a bit of a bugger to develop for is it?

Nope, you just need to make a few nips and tucks to get sites to display the same as IE and Moz.

Have you heard anything about amocom?

Can't get service from Amocom without stealing the spire off Ballinlough church and mounting it on the side of my house. Hence the conflict of interest mentioned above.

adam

It was ok with IE anyway.

I think the trees in my garden will block this but I would love to know what its like just a pity about the cap

Quick update, the following is Eircom's revised rollout plan for Cork from now until the end of the year:
    • Hettyfield
    • Glanmire
    • Cobh
    • Kinsale
    • Clonakilty
    • Little Island
    • Mahon
    • Carrigaline
    • Midleton
    The exchanges are apparently listed in order of deployment, however it should be noted that Hettyfield has been highlighted for deployment for some time, and there are no actual /dates/ for rollout. I'll keep an eye on the exchange though and let you know if there are any developments.

adam

• Advertisement

Thats good news, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Quick update, the following is Eircom's revised rollout plan for Cork from now until the end of the year:

Finally.. a revised plan which Carrigaline is on, albeit second last :mad:

Thanks for the info Adam. I don't think I'll be holding my breath on this one again.

No problem rymus. By the way, to the original person that supplied me with this information: I got it somewhere else in the meantime. Heh, that should confuse matters.

adam

Sorry to drag this up from the deep, but no point in starting a new thread:

Just off the phone with Eircom, and now it's even fuzzier than ever. When I first asked the chap, he said it would be done by "the end of the year", which of course is inline with their super-fuzzy schedule (uh, January).

I mentioned that they had told me "next month" in May, June and July, at which point he shocked and stunned me by /not/ performing the Standard Eircom Special (i.e. hanging up), and instead put me on hold and checked into it in more detail (in other words, he put the phone down, took a sip of coffee, had a quick joke with his neighbour, and picked up again).

He then proceeded to explain that mutter mutter upgrades mutter storm damage mutter mutter. I opined that I was surprised that they didn't have a schedule, and he said that they mutter mutter do mutter have mutter a schedule but mutter mutter mutter. Poor bastard didn't even believe what he was saying himself.

Not that I feel sorry for him. He chose to work there. Tosser. :)

adam /waves and raises a finger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Motherfockers

With Balbriggan getting upgraded today I thought Hettyfield would be done for sure by September.

Christ on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Since this thread has been brought up again, I may as well shamelessly plug our own "Broadband4...." site:

http://www.broadband4kinnegad.com

We are currently advertising in local shop windows etc and the response since we launched about a week ago has been quite promising. We will shortly be doing a door-to-door leaflet drop to ensure that as many people as possible know about the campaign but if any of you have any friends or family in Kinnegad I would appreciate if you mentioned the site to them.

Many Thanks,

viking

I was reminded about this in the pub last night: The latest ska is that, apparently, three exchanges in Cork (Hettyfield, Glanmire & Cobh) have had DSLAMs installed, but orders aren't yet being taken for them. The source is a little unreliable, so I'm just posting this FYI.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Originally posted by dahamsta
    [BThe source is a little unreliable, so I'm just posting this FYI.

adam [/B]

Adam,

Nothing unreliable about it. You can add to that list Mahon, Clonankilty, Little Island & Kinsale.

Regards.

Originally posted by gombín
    Nothing unreliable about it. You can add to that list Mahon, Clonankilty, Little Island & Kinsale.
    I thought Mahon was done ages ago. I dunno, perhaps the "source" has it right, it just strikes me as pretty stupid even for Eircom to upgrade the exchanges and then sit on them, especially if the banks are (in fact) giving them grief.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

I believe Mahon had a slight issue with planning permission

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Just rang Eircom and they told me Hettyfield has not been upgraded yet and that it could be 4 to 6 months before it happens.

Go eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by gombín

What the hell is the story with Little Island. There appears to have been a battle royal in Eircom about enabling that exchange. It seems to be on-again/off-again every second week.

Gombín you got any idea of the likely date for availibility of DSL for lines eminating from that exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by yellum
    Just rang Eircom and they told me Hettyfield has not been upgraded yet and that it could be 4 to 6 months before it happens.

The offer of sticking a wireless lan card in your laptop and sitting in my garden stands. You'd want to hurry up though before the weather changes.......

Any more news on BB in Ballinlough?
    Ive been away for 3 weeks so im a little out of touch.
    Will it be soon or AHEM Christmas?

Eircom UpYours.gif

Netsource said they'd take an order off me, however I haven't placed it yet. No way I'm paying a connection fee when they're only paying €20.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Lads,

Hettyfield is still not launched. Will keep you posted.

Regards.

Jesus I wont even be in the country anymore by the time its upgraded.
    Have the Netsource problems been sorted out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

My friend lives in Ballintemple. Iol are taking orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

if you Hettyfield people sort out Gombíns pints he will tell you some good news as a reward !

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Yarrr he be too late Muck matey, its officially turned on today but IOL and Eircom were taking orders yesterday.

My friend will have DSL soon and I'm going to rent his spare room. :ninja:

Advertisement