Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCP's - How long did yours take?

• 11-06-2003 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Lo all,

About to get cracking on MCP 70-210 and I am wondering roughly
    how long it takes - approx of course, we are all different.

I work full time so will be an hour or 2 most nights after work and then a good bash into it at the weekends.

I have done Comp TIA certs but this is first MCP I have done so Im looking for a ball park time frame?

I NEED to have 2 done by Febuary.

I know this maybe should be in the education section but I have a feeling more peeps with MCP's are looking over this section.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Humphrey

I did it in about 3 weeks could of done it quicker. Found it alot easier than the cisco CCNA which took me over a month.

Humphrey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

yikes!

3 weeks, thats good going!

Judgeing by that I should have no worries doing 2 by febuary

Its a 60 % pass mark, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by Humphrey
    I did it in about 3 weeks could of done it quicker. Found it alot easier than the cisco CCNA which took me over a month.

Humphrey.

u did ur ccna in just over four weeks?

huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I did the Windows 98 MCP after only looking at a cram session for 2hrs the night before. I got 70% (ie a pass). MCPs are a joke, MS are laughing all the way to the bank. Apparently the Windows 98 one is harder than expected, several co-workers that took the exam at the same failed, and they had attended months of lessions to earn that failure.

Honestly, some of the most stupid people Ive met are MCSEs. Thankfully companies dont appear to place much faith in MCPs as they once did.

Matt

Hi theciscokid

yeah It took a little over one month I could of done it quicker if it was necessary.

Why did you find it difficult??

Humphrey.

• Advertisement

Honestly, some of the most stupid people Ive met are MCSEs

Agreed. I am a techy by nature and yes, I have meet MCSE's who could not change a floppy drive:D
    But the plebs still talk down to you

Agreed. A lot of the crap in the MCP 2000 is pretty irrelivant to what I do every day but learning of any knowlage sharpens the mind.

Oh and I get a promotion and a payrise at my review in Feb if I can get a couple of the buggers under my belt. ww)

btw, whay are microsoft laughing all the way to the bank?

Originally posted by Humphrey
    Hi theciscokid

yeah It took a little over one month I could of done it quicker if it was necessary.

Why did you find it difficult??

Humphrey.

well no thats what i plan to do, heard it was hard.. expensive enough for some courses, think blanch charge 4,000 for a course for a good length of time

so when i hear somebody do it in a month i have to wonder

i just did my A+ core and o.s.

now doing network + and mcp in server 2000

but wanna get my ccna after them

but in relation to poeple studying for them, someone said they crammed in a couple of exam crams, essenetials or whatever the night b4 the exam and still passed

i mean their good to study and prepare...

but supposing you come across something more technical in real life that you didnt really study for in course or study preparations etc..

Hi ciscoKid,

Don't do any expensive courses for the CCNA they are a rip off.

Just get the CCNA Book, the Boson exam samples questions and maybe an IOS simulator if you are not familiar with Cisco IOS.

Humphrey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by juno75

Oh and I get a promotion and a payrise at my review in Feb if I can get a couple of the buggers under my belt. ww)

btw, whay are microsoft laughing all the way to the bank?

Oh yes, I too would make an exception to my values given the power of the almighty $.

I meant MS were laughing to the bank as they cleverly persuaded companies and the masses to pay MS for cert. It does have some value, but its probably a nice cash cow for Microsoft too.

But Im really just bitter about how many plebs are MCSEs and what the uninformed think of that "honor" they carry around with them.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

The win2k pro and server exams are pretty easy and have low pass marks , i think server only needs 560 or something.

The network infrastructure exam is a pain , very long and very hard ... also the electives can be tricky , luckly my NT MCSE electives stand and i dont need to do more.

Im sitting the network infrastructure exam at the end of the month , 2nd time then i have 2 left for win2k MCSE.

Also have the cisco CCNA and cisco wireless field enginner exam.

But to be honest there all bollocks , and need to be repeated every 3 years , get yourself a degree and it will stand to you for life , if microsfot have there way you will never stop doing exams.
    In saying that though the cicso qualification above CCNA , ie CCNP and the mighty CCIE are excellent and command a high salary , but can take years to achive.

Best of luck anyway !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

I am currently studying for the Network + Compia exam, Ive been studying for this for a few months now on and off, but I leave the hse @ 7.20am every mornign and sometimes dont get back till 10pm so i dont study much, I have to site the exam in the few weeks if things quite en down at @ work

I work as a service Eng

Id love to become a MCSE but as ye all have said no one like them and usually they havent a clue, (well any of the ones I have meet)

But having the exams are def worth it for the €'s

let us know how you get on in ur comptia network + im doing that next, what are you using for study guides etc..

i recommend the mike meyer books for geneal study then theres loads of exam prep. q+a's to do !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The Mike Meyers books are quite good for information, but they are a bit twee - sometimes it feels like reading a 'Networks+ for Dummies' book or something. Have a look around Amazon at the reccommended books to find one that suits your tastes.

You can't really put a time scale on how long it'll take to study for an exam, it depends on so many things such as how quickly you read and learn, and how much previous experience you have.

For e.g. when I started on my A+, I already knew 90% of the material from years of general PC maintenance. I studied up anyway to make 100% sure I knew it backwards, but realistically I could have strolled in and sat the exam years ago and passed.

I'm currently studying CCNA material after a bit of experience in router security configuration; it shouldn't take too long for me to be ready for the exam as I've plenty of routers in work to play with. Someone who has never seen a router in their life, however, could take months to get to a decent standard.

The 70-210 should be a walk in the park for anyone with a bit of NT and networking experience, you should have it under your belt before the end of the summer, never mind February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

Will do, but as I said I only hope to do it in the next few weeks, Im using Boson 4.89 test exams which I find quite good, As I have David Groth Network + study guide which is meant to be the best Net + book on the market ....... Does any one else use any test exams programs?

The 70-210 should be a walk in the park for anyone with a bit of NT and networking experience, you should have it under your belt before the end of the summer, never mind February.

Sweet mate

Thanks for the encouragement;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by juno75
    Febuary.

An MCP who cant spell never mind change a floppy drive.:D

Hay Irishgeo

Go suck eggs if you aint got anything positive to say.

Spotting typos in boards is about as hard as shooting fish in a barrel.

Please retort because I'm in the mood boy:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

:ninja: I am now in hiding.

I am now in hiding.

lol:D :D:D

Advertisement