Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining 2 Networks Via Wireless

• 11-06-2003 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Hello Girls,
    I was going to post this is Wireless, but it seems more interested in Phones than networks, so here goes.

I'm joining two buildings (100m apart, line of sight), via a wireless link.

The idea will be:

Site1 - router - Wireless Bridge - Wireless Bridge - Router - Site2.

The sites will be striaght into the switches there, the routers will probably be smoothwall, and the bridges will be some thing like SMC2682W SMC 11MB Wireless Bridge. Ariels will be SMCANT-DI145 SMC 14.5DB Antenna.

It all works out at €1300 Eurons or so. Anyone do this before, and if so, any pointers? Would I be better off with an integrated bridge and Router? Any particular type?

This whole thing wil eventually join the two networks (different IP ranges), so that in the long run, typing \\SomePC on one site, will allow you to access a PC on the other. Some messing to be done to do that I know, but I'm more worried about hardware at this point.

More mushy peas anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pangenix

Some questions:

Are you using Unix/Linux or MS, and if MS, what version of server?

I've done this once before, and you will forgive me if I'm a bit rusty, but why route to only two subnets?

All you need is to direct traffic from one subnet to another through a default gateway on each subnet, which would be in this instance your Wireless Bridge. Using a different subnet within the same overall range, and using masking to separate the two subnets, you obviate the need for routers.

Perhaps I'm being simplistic, but you really only need routing if there are three subnets . . .

Pan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Some food for thought.....

Server Version shouldn't be an Issue, but it's a healthy mix of several domains and domain controllers.

These are 2 differnt companies, and the routers are security for each side. (Traffic type will be restricted to a few ports). Changing IP ranges and subnets is not an option, one side uses static, the other DHCP.

The only point of overlap for the two networks will be the wireless link, and what is allowed each way has to be strictly controlled. (Yay Smoothwall).

Advertisement