Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology...

Options
  • 11-06-2003 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Anyone else fail!?

Dammit got 39% in the Pre;s and was sure id pass actual test..c'mon its only 1%.. spent 14 hours studying day and nite before exam.. but pretty sure i failed.. ****! down to 5 subjects now..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

lol posted my thread at same time.... delete my one...

that was so feckin hard....... no multiple choice wtf??!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

What the hell are you talking about, there was loads of choice.
    Anyway should get the a1.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

fking impossible.. I had all of gebnetics learned exept meiosis.. cuz my teacher didnt give out the handout she promised ( stupid biatch) obviously meioss was goin to come up in that case.. and no crosses for **** sake...and what was question 2 about.. "Test for Vitamins".. what??

Was tha aerobic repiration experiment the one with a mouse in a jar.. and a jar of soda lime beside him and a jar of sodium hydroxide on the other..??
    I bluffed it.. i just saw the picture in the past papers (short question) last nite..

I hope to fvck i scrape 40%

how did u think u got on?

It was an anaerobic experiment with yeast and glucose.

And yeah, it was your teachers fault :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Heh, you can blame the teachers for not teaching you, you can't blame them for not doing your work for you.

I made out my own biology notes of the entire book, almost as thick as the book too, except mine have bigger writing, more white space and only cover one side.

I'm looking for a B... If i screwed up then a C.

I keep hearing it was another version of last years paper tho... pffft, tbh those wusses had it easy. Bitch, moan, bitch.
    You get good marks in Biology for studying for the whole year, you can't ****ing cram it.
    Anyone who tells me that they did **** all for 2 years in Bio, studied it for a couple of days and came out with an A is a complete liar.

• Advertisement

Yeah I actually did very little study before the exam. It was all done throughout the year with notes and tests etc..Its still a very daunting subject the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

I'm pretty annoyed at how that exam went for me. Was relying on it for an A1 which i needed for points.The short questions really threw me,some long questions weren't too bad but i definitly didn't get my A:( which is a bit shlt since i needed it and i've been getting A's for the past two years in biology. I'm not happy...at all.

What type of muslce is the diaphgram, and why were those Q cells diffrent from R cells or something.

Like an idiot I said sodium hydroxide was to remove Co2, was thinking about that one for ages....doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

i did a iney meiny miny mo with that sangre, was it co2 or oxygen, ended up with co2

craparoooo :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

What type of muslce is the diaphgram
    i dont do biology, but afaik the diaphgram is the muscle under your lungs which allows them to in+exhale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Originally posted by Sangre
    What type of muslce is the diaphgram, and why were those Q cells diffrent from R cells or something.

Like an idiot I said sodium hydroxide was to remove Co2, was thinking about that one for ages....doh!

I put down cardiac muscle for the diaphgram, now wait dont laugh, i put it down because it works non-stop for your whole life like your heart, that and i didnt know any other type of muscle!

I think the cells in q were different because they were elongated.

and what was the answer to the use of sodium hydroxide?

All in all i thought it wasnt a bad paper, compared to last years paper it was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Yeah I actually did very little study before the exam. It was all done throughout the year
    ooooh look at me, i worked all year, i'm sooooo great:p

I threw down Longditudinal muscle at the end. Don't know if its right but it was a safer bet than cardiac muscle which is only found in the heart. Hence the "cardiac".

Thats not to say cardiac has to be associated with the heart, afaik the cardiac sphincter has bothing to do with the heart :confused: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

well I am preyin to god for 40% in pass..
    The 7 questions at the start were very hard honours standard but i cant say much..
    biology is like irish to me..:/

and ye dont know how bad i am at irish..

well 1 more test left off for a week yayaya:)
    cartman

ill sleep well tonight:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

What type of muslce is the diaphgram?

Hrm... that was a horrible question.... well there are 3 types of muscle skeletal, smooth and cardiac.... I think smooth is more related to structural muscle... walls of blood vessels and so on...

I sort of thought the diaphragm can be controlled consciously so I said skeletal... I thought I was wrong.... quick google search returned this:

http://chanteur.net/contribu/cJMdiaph.htm written by some medical punter....

I'm just confused now though.. :p What a bloody terrible paper... Just wonder what kind of muppets wrote it...

Don't know if I did that well really... don't want to think about it because if I didn't get the A I'm f*cked.... ah well..

We need Ms. Lynch tbh!

Yeah, I wish she had been there. I said its smooth muscle, because of the texture of it during one dissection of a heart. Also skeletal muscle is connected to a movable and a immovable joint. Also skeletal is a bit obvious...I dunno.

Also I doubt anyone in the country knew what phtotlysis was, and if you did I dont care...

I said its smooth muscle

Don't question "John Messmer, MD"... he has to be right.... doesn't he? :eek:

Yeah I actually did very little study before the exam. It was all done throughout the year with notes and tests etc..Its still a very daunting subject the night before.

lol I revised the whole course the day before.... took like 8 hours.... :eek: I'd say I used less than 5% of that sh*t in the exam..... I mean that paper was a mockery.....

It wasn't Too bad. Fair enough, there was quite a bit of emphasis on plants but it wasn't as weird as last years paper. I hope I did ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

What type of muslce is the diaphgram

Know your muscle types and respiration and you should be able to answer this.

Lads..get out of the yes/no question lark. If you do science in Uni, you won't get too many of those. Abstract questions all the way......

Ok I asked a doctor...

(I'm not being obsessive about this, I swear :D )

The answer is skeletal muscle.... apparantly it has more to do with the kind of tissue it's made of.....

yeh, and it turns out longditudinal muscle is in the earthworm... damn :P .

Skeletal muscle is under conscious control, smooth is not. (this is according to the book) .

So, one could surmise that Skeletal would be it, if one was so inclined 0_o . Which I wasn't .

I am well aware Biology isn't exactly a "yes/no" subject, in fact the mutiple choice are frequently "yeah, but this too".
    Kinda why I like it, similar to english, in a way.

Did anyone do the Liver fluke life cycle question.

If so, cant you find you the eggs in the cow and outside?

Oh and skyeirl if you're going to be condescending you can just fúck off tbh. I dont need that crap.

How is what type of muscle is the diaphgram a yes/no question.

i figure smooth cause of its texture and you cant really control it. You can control you intercostal muscles but not your diaphgram.Also its not connected to an origin and an insertion like skeletal muscle, and skeletal muscle is usually antagonistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Eh.. I don't think sykeirl was trying to be condescending!

What he was saying I think is that you can't expect to be able to answer questions in such a black and white/yes or no fashion!

In Uni the sciences require you to do much of your own study and research! The notes aren't just handed to you on a plate as in Leaving Cert.

And by the way all you feckwits complaining about this years paper being tough! You should have done the biology exam last year then you could complain! FFS your's was so easy in comparison!

Arg!!

I think his point was that it isn't .
    Know your muscle types and respiration and you should be able to answer this.
    Though when I first read that I felt like posting "no sh1t" , but I decided to see if someone else would say it :P .
    And by the way all you feckwits complaining about this years paper being tough! You should have done the biology exam last year then you could complain! FFS your's was so easy in comparison!

I would have urinated in ecstasy had I gotten your paper.

[edit] I meant to say "no sh1t" rather than "not shi1t" which makes no sense

lol I agree :D In fairness last year's paper was easy....

Oh and skyeirl if you're going to be condescending you can just fúck off tbh. I dont need that crap.

i figure smooth cause of its texture and you cant really control it. You can control you intercostal muscles but not your diaphgram.Also its not connected to an origin and an insertion like skeletal muscle, and skeletal muscle is usually antagonistic.

I'm not trying to be condescending, so there is no reason to be offensive.

My point is, even if "the Diaphragm is skeletal muscle" is not in your book, you should be able to work it out by knowing
    A) The role of the diaphragm in Physiology.
    and
    B) The characteristics of Muscle type.

Recalling and reciting stuff you learned doesn't happen in science college courses anymore (you can learn past papers mind you) because you don't get straight questions.

Its a very good thing that that sort of attitude is being taken in the leaving cert now, because the step up may not seem as bad.

lol, are *any* of us going to be persuaded to do science after that?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Duffman
    lol, are *any* of us going to be persuaded to do science after that?

I don't see why not.

If you are in any sort of problem solving or "non-routine" job you may have to think outside the box to come up with the answers.

I just corrected a 1st year biochem/physiology and a 4th pharmacology paper for a clinical based course. They really struggled with abstract questions and some complained that the questions weren't directly from their course work.

Now I dunno about you, but I want my doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, opticians, hell even my vets to be able to be able to associate an abstract question with other areas they have encountered and formulate their own answer.

Just in case I or my pet ever have a disease that they didn't have in their college text books.

Advertisement