Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology...

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by sykeirl

Its a very good thing that that sort of attitude is being taken in the leaving cert now, because the step up may not seem as bad.

eh, now?, we've had the same course for the last 2 decades or thereabouts, and this year was the last of that course. It's being halved now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Well they updated the curriculum and re-shifted emphisis on practical aspects and question style in the late 90's (98 I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I agree with you sykeirl.... but in fairness most of us aren't taught enough about these topics to be able to attempt more abstract questions... such is the way of the wonderful Irish education system....

And imho to force students to study an insanely large course for 2 years then f*ck them over by only examining a tiny fraction of it with deliberately ambiguous questions is sick.... We don't need that... and it's certainly not the way to convince younger students to take up science subjects.....

I don't know about you guys but my teacher told me at the start of 5th year that we wouldn't finish the course :eek: .

And he was right, I went into the exam without a clue about Unit 10, (ecology and all that).

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mr.StRiPe

Sangre you can control your diaphram just hold your breath it stops moving! and Mrs Lynch is on of the most overrated teachers ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I figured that when I was breathing it was my intercoastal muscles I was controling.
    Who are you?

Originally posted by Mr.StRiPe
    Mrs Lynch is on of the most overrated teachers ever

*gasp* Take that back! :(

who are you btw? A bitter past pupil no doubt?

Someone who got 14 As out of 20 isnt overrated :/

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

I dunno about you guys, but I came out of the exam with a gigantic smile on my face. Seemed easy enough, answered 95% of section A correctly, and I did 5 questions of out the 4 needed and I'd say I got most of it right, looking at a B or an A. Most people came out with a horrible outlook and by that I might get my marks pushed out that little bit more :D.

Btw, liver fluke = fluke (in primary host) -> miracidium (grass) -> sporocyst (snail) -> redia (snail) -> redia/cercaria (snail) -> encysted cercaria (grass) -> fluke (primary host)

tsk tsk you forgot the sporocyst.... no A1 for you young man...

• Advertisement

0wn3d.

Heh, didn't forget it in the exam itself though, so all's well with the world. Post corrected :)

/me shakes fist in mings general direction... then wanders off...

;) .

Utter, utter spamface.

So what about the egg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Captain Planet

What was weird bout the paper was that it was just a string of short questions testing obscure knowledge, unlike last year's "oh-so-hard" paper, there was nothing to sink your teeth into, no photosynthesis/transpiration/sexual reproduction in mammal etc. And nowhere in the book does it say what type of muscle the diaphragm is, I guessed smooth (texture, involuntary) Plus that question about inhaled vs. exhaled air came up before and they didnt count in marking cos it wasnt on the syllabus, how stupid can they be to ask it again?!

I think I did ok, still doent make it any fairer as a paper so I'm still angry.

The diaphragm isn't smooth, you don't spasm in and out breath involuntarily, you control it.

Spasm?
    Peristalsis isnt spasming and thats controled by smooth muscles.
    And you dont control the diaphragm but the intercostal musclses....i fink so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dosser

That question about the lungs was stupid, stupid, stupid! If it had said in the book what sort of muscle it was it would have been *okay* but just to throw something up there that there are two answers for is ridiculous.

I think the answer is smooth however. *s******s* It's the exact same as persistalsis except that it's for air as opposed to food. It's rhythmical and unconscious. But anything can be rhythmical and unconscious if you are having a spasm there. It's just depends on the characteristics that are usually associated with it. It was a fuzzy question and nobody should be rewarded for the answer they put. You control persitalsis as well. You say whether it will occur or not.

Guys I teach 3rd level physiology.
    For the last time, its skeletal.

Check the thread in science as to why.

It may not have said what type it was specifically but I had a look at the book and if you know the muscle definitions and you know the role of the diaphragm in respiration you could make a good educated guess at worst!

Get over it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sangre
    Spasm?
    Peristalsis isnt spasming and thats controled by smooth muscles.
    And you dont control the diaphragm but the intercostal musclses....i fink so

Peristalis isn't controlled by the individual itself. I'd like to see you try to stop the movement of food in your alimentary canal consciously :p It was a slight exaggeration, but peristalis is relatively minor an action in comparision to breathing so it's hardly a benchmark for spasm as it's tiny in width.

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Guys I teach 3rd level physiology.
    For the last time, its skeletal.

Check the thread in science as to why.

It may not have said what type it was specifically but I had a look at the book and if you know the muscle definitions and you know the role of the diaphragm in respiration you could make a good educated guess at worst!

Get over it.

sykeirl, the leaving cert should not be about educated guessing :rolleyes: , thats for college.

Originally posted by CuLT
    sykeirl, the leaving cert should not be about educated guessing :rolleyes: , thats for college.

I said "at worst" an educated guess.

Spoon feeding at second level is one of the reasons so many 3rd level students find the transition difficult. That and the mockery that passes for career guidance in this country.

I dont care if it was wrong, and that it was cardiac muslce. But the diaphgram is kind of iffy when it comes to muscle.

Btw this whole time, I havent been arguing that it wasn't cardiac muslce but that it could be, if you went by the the definition in the book which is
    Skeletal:
    Under your voluntary contorl
    Connected to an origin and an insertion

Thats it I think...

Anyway I give up, I got my A1 so I dont care :/

/me trolls

How are you sure about the A1 if you didn't get the diaphragm right? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dosser

I'd like to see you try to stop the movement of food in your alimentary canal

Do you not have control over when you do and when you do not swallow? Isn't that about the same as the amount of control you have over your diaphragm? Can't you say when you are going to throw-up? What about when something gets stuck in your throat? Don't you have to work it out by using specific muscles?

And if it is skeletal, where is it connected to the skeleton in our book?

Originally posted by dosser
    I'd like to see you try to stop the movement of food in your alimentary canal

Do you not have control over when you do and when you do not swallow? Isn't that about the same as the amount of control you have over your diaphragm? Can't you say when you are going to throw-up? What about when something gets stuck in your throat? Don't you have to work it out by using specific muscles?

Are you claiming that you have conscious control over peristalsis?
    Think a little bit outside the box :rolleyes: .

Your nick appears to be quite apt :rolleyes: .

Originally posted by mirv
    Peristalis isn't controlled by the individual itself. I'd like to see you try to stop the movement of food in your alimentary canal consciously :p It was a slight exaggeration, but peristalis is relatively minor an action in comparision to breathing so it's hardly a benchmark for spasm as it's tiny in width.

You do realise you're agreeing with me dont you?

hrm.... ok biology is over... go study for other exams now... :)

It's skeletal ok.... unless 2 doctors and lots of random boards users are wrong.... and it's only worth what, 3 marks? Let it go....

• Advertisement

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :mad:

Advertisement