Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Board Request: Photoshop Friday

Options
  • 11-06-2003 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Board Name: Photoshoppery
    Description: Where reality and fantasy collide
    Private Y/N: N

It's long overdue tbh. We've a lot of photoshopping talent here and by god we should have a place where we can store, develop and generally have lots of fun putting Dev's head onto various body's/animals.

I, of course, heartily endorse this product and service because quite frankly it's a damned good idea. Even if Something Awful already thought of it.

I have the heart and the drive to mod this board successfully. I know I can do it. I believe I can do it. But I won't cry if I'm not..... Well maybe a little.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Good idea, GOGOGO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Can you put the banning of people who use Admiral Ackbar in the charter?

I have no photoshop talent, but I'd love to see a forum for it, there's definitely some fantastic talent lurking about these boards... Just look at those Kevo archives.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Sounds like a good idea, will look a likes be allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

A per winning my bet with DeVore i Demand to be Made moderator instead of amp, demand i tell you!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, we've wanted to do this but we didnt want to rip off Something Awful.

I think we might think of a slight twist on it...

One idea I had was: photoshop wars
    To play you have to supply a picture of yourself, then you can go nuts on the pictures of the others who are already playing. (we'll seed it with a few eager heads). That way everyone is fair game.

The only thing I dont like about this is that it focuses too much on personal pictures... I'd also like to see other types of pics.

Alternatively we can pic a picture or two every week and the best photoshopper wins! (probably nothing but we could create a hall of fame in Photopost).

Any other ideas?

DeV.

• Advertisement

you could haev a theme every week, like one week its sc-fi, the next its cross dressing, the next its movies, that type of lark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Photoshopping more prominent Irish figures? There are some pics of Michael Flatly, Mary Harney etc. about just begging for a little modification!

Unless that brings up legal issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I've fired off an e-mail to something awful to ask permission to rip them off. In a nice way of course.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I like doing gather cards :D , I really wanna see this happen, I do luv photoshopping, well, PSPing in my case :) .

Freak_Out.jpg .

My couple of gather cards are in Amz's sexiest irish men thread. I will definately be a regular contributor and will help out any way I can :D .*cough*, thnx SA *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

worth1000 is another popular site that holds photoshop competitions. Check out their "best of" threads here:

http://www.worth1000.com/galleries.asp

Some of it is seriously professional stuff..

davej

• Advertisement

Plyd Cult ;)

Girded (that's a word, right?) by davej's tip-off I did a bit of research.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/2816313.htm

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshopping/

So SA aren't the only ones up to this kind of thing. It's like an interweb phenomononeneon or something.

585OKEY.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

yus !!

something else to make sure i dont do any work 9 to 5:30 :D

perhaps for the initial comp use only images from www.boards.ie/nerds ?

then everyone starts off on an evel keel

Perhaps we go with devs idea instead GoneShootin, if i recall it was just afew weeks ago that someone treatened to sue boards because their photo was being abused and edited in counter strike. If you going to start messing up peoples photographs without their permission this board will be nothing but trouble and flame central. If you go around editing other peoples photos you can't complain when it happens to you, otherwise it shouldnt happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Sploooge.

That is all.

we could make it a lil "consent checkbox", such that when someone submits an image for psp'ing, they waive all rights to be a total bitch about the results

Boards is already photoshopping people and a rigid structure would only harm this process in my opinion.

If people allow their pictures to be up on Know Your Nerds then they should automatically assume that the picture is in the public domain and can be used for the purposes of photoshopping.

Of course there'd be a line that should not be crossed. Putting peoples faces on pr0n or worse still something from that goat cex site would be crossing the line. Anything obscene would be deleted and the user banned.

My lovely visage has been superimposed many times in pics that some might think are degrading. I love them tbh, because of the effort put into them and because I'm an attentionwhore.

To the best of my knowledge the very basis of defamation and slander law come from the fact that an impression is given falsely of a person with the implication of ruining their impression to the public at large. Given that the context of pictures created in a board which would have a charter explaining that the pictures are faked, along with standard fair use legislation, it seems to me that it this board is even more necessary.

Also, people who complain about others using their pictures need to pull the stick out of their arse and chill out.

Anyway, I think putting peoples faces on things only has limited mileage. It'll get boring after a while. Maybe certain faces would get used more. Take that manic one of Dev with the beard. It's comical enough by itself with that insane grin and wild eyes. Putting it on a Borg Queen or Willy Wonka works because the photo is manic in the first place.

Lastly given that this is an interweb phenomenon and we don't need permission from anybody to do it, I really don't see why the rules of this forum need to be discussed before it's created. We've never needed to do this before iirc.

Originally posted by amp

Also, people who complain about others using their pictures need to pull the stick out of their arse and chill out.

True that. I'm aqctually kind of disappointed that I haven't been photoshopped, I really expected something evil from Mark at this stage.

Lastly given that this is an interweb phenomenon and we don't need permission from anybody to do it, I really don't see why the rules of this forum need to be discussed before it's created. We've never needed to do this before iirc.

Yes, rules should be self evident, and for those who claim that they're not, there will be a charter in place to guide those who are inexperienced as to how it is done, and the limitations.
    Being a reader of SA, I'm sure amp has enough know-how to write up a decent charter on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Tellox says YES.

Originally posted by Tellox
    Tellox says YES.

well thats all anyone should need tbh !!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

excellent idea ampie baby! :D
    and I think using the pics from the pissups would great, more fun when you recognise the people involved!
    thumbs up and make sure we all have access!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I dont know how to use Photoshop but I would love to see such a board...oh I would larff till snot poured outta my nose and I had to take a large breath and then swallow lots of snots...

Wait I could choke, I disapprove :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I hereby endorse this event and or product/service thingy.

lots more pics o amp in a spanish fruit outfit!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, this is approved and will be created soon. Sorry for the delay, things are mad here.

DeV.

/me puts away Small Animal Sacrafice Kit (tm)

Phew! These things make a hellova mess.

Originally posted by amp
    If people allow their pictures to be up on Know Your Nerds then they should automatically assume that the picture is in the public domain and can be used for the purposes of photoshopping.

Sorry but i don't remember giving my permission to anybody to put my picture in know your nerds or for that matter to take my picture, and i don't except that you have any right to do anything to my image jsut because its floating around.

My objections will without a doubt make me a target for said photoshopping, i shall piss all over the place like a spoiled child if it is. DeVore will ban me, ban me again and ban me afew times but that will not stop moi from turn said forum in to flame central.

Is that fair enough for you?

i shall piss all over the place like a spoiled child if it is

And you wanted to be mod.

Roffle. You just don't get boards.ie, do you?

bostonbaby.jpg

it begins...........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Can i be executive vp?

hehehe

now, where did i put that photo of amp that i have, in a compromising position...

There's a photo of Boston! :eek: .

/me goes on fact-finding mission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by amp
    bostonbaby.jpg
    Does anyone else find that slightly... disturbing?

pie for mod!

Advertisement