Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Georgia Full Time

• 11-06-2003 8:50pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

2-0

Great stuff Robbie

There's only one keano

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

with a touch of hand ball though

all that booing when Averladze (sp?) gets the ball is disgracefull

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

handball maybe,

but its not a crime until ye get caught. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

how did John O'Shea get MOTM??? He is a shadow of the player he was for united last season.

I think all 10 of the other players were more deserving.

I would have picked Healy meself.

Good win and bring on the russians.

btw does george hamilton know anything?? At the end of the game he said we have 3 more games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

now that was a sight for sore eyes not only did Ireland win 2-0 but every single player played well and thats hard for me to say cos that includes Kevin Kilbane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Now was it just me or did Mr. Kilbane play a stormer?
    Because I think I'm going crazy... That was by far the best I have seen him play in a LONG time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

oh! what's this, could it be irish fans moaning ? *sigh*
    how did John O'Shea get MOTM??? He is a shadow of the player he was for united last season
    sikes what dog food does your guide dog eat ? i'm not going to ask anymore who on this board actually plays football or knows a thing about the game sikes you're obviously not a united fan, ireland fan or even a football fan come on kids subbuteo isn't that expsensive :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I actually agree with Sikes there were several more players who deserved that MOTM award ahead of O'Shea and I would have chosen Healy as well. That guy needs to get first team football sorted next season as he is what the irish midfield needs.

I am also in shock here because "my little donkey" aka Kevin Kilbane actually had a good game.

Good result and good performance can't wait for next September now :)

Gandalf.

(oh and see Northern Ireland got a nice draw against the Spainish as well, fair play to them :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

healy does need to get signed, he is a great player, he will be a great talent, but when it comes to picking the man of the match it's usually some donkey who normally picks the goal scorer and ignores the football that is so intelligent he misses it himself, and that's what o shea did and ireland fans/players are not used to having intelligent players in the side o' shea was so far ahead of himself at times that the players themselves weren't to sure what was going on, people who could read him was players like lee who has alot of exp, most armchair fans are blind to real football, granted it would have being very hard to pick a man of the match tonight as everyone had a good game, but if you want to boil it down colin made silly mistakes john made none, who's where more costly ? colins....giving away silly free kicks to eager to please in dangerous positions you can pick negatives from any game i'd like to remember this game as a great overall irish performance were we playing brazil ? no, my overall point is stop ****ing complaining we're are a limited team with limited resources enjoy it and stop moaning about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by gandalf

(oh and see Northern Ireland got a nice draw against the Spainish as well, fair play to them :))

Like that helps them, nearing 900 mins without a goal.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Its about time we've seen Ireland play like that again! Healy, Kilbane and Keane played like old pro's at the game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i'd have to say i think everyone played well, although doherty is very dodgy with his feet
    healy, well done
    keane unlucky to hit the crossbar, excellent shot

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Who said that Healy and Delap shouldn't be in midfield when I typed out my best midfield? Holland was missing for spells in the game today again. He was Irelands worst player IMO, although that isn't bad on todays performance. As I said, if Ireland had this midfield out I think we could go very far:
    Duff (LM)
    Healy (CM)
    Delap (CM)
    Reid (RM)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

keane and kilbane worked harder than anyone else i thought.
    we are a limited team and kilbane is a limited player but it's commitment like that that can get us through the qualifiers
    - fair play!

so now....
    irl beat russia...
    russia beat switz...
    then a draw in switz and we qualify(don't fancy needin a win there)

have to do it in the last 2 games or else it could be a play-off against england/turkey, spain, holland or italy(gwan wales!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

What a great performance by everyone. Even Holland played decently and Kilbane was one of the best players on thepitch. Where did he pull that from? The first 20 minutes showed us what Ireland are made of but as John O Shea siad, there is still better to come once they have a full squad to choose from. Koodows to Healy amd Carsley as well, both of whom slotted in very well.

One sorry sight all the way through the match was the misguided fans that booed everytime Arveladze got the ball. As George Hamilton rightly pointed out "What it has to do with the match deceives me?"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

AFAIK the man of the match is voted by the press. They all have one vote and whoever get the most wins it. By the press I mean those at the game in the press box (West Stand).

Although O'shea got motm, I would say that the voting was very close. A lot of player could have won it so the voting was probably split up a bit.

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Great performance from Ireland. They defo deserved the 2-0 scoreline. Robbie's now on 16 international goals ... its only a matter of time 'till he beats Quinn's record.

O'Shea got man-of-the-match, and he did play really well. But, I thought the stars of the night were Kilbane and Healy. Kilbane runs down the line was so effective, and his crossing of the ball was far better than its been in previous internationals. Healy was the engine of the midfield last night, imo. He chased everything. And nearly all of his passes were forward!! (Hopefully Holland & Kinsella took note!)

All in all, six points from two matches ... a job well done! Two more victories and we're there!

Well done Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

You have to admit we did it by the skin of the teeth.On reflection a lucky header and what appeared to be a deliberate unoticed handball makes for a lucky and narrow win.

But if IIRC the Georgians also made a foul that was unoticed which impaired a goal chance,so it sort of evens things out;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    AFAIK the man of the match is voted by the press.

It wasn't voted by the press it was voted by Jonny Giles, what a shame.
    now that was a sight for sore eyes not only did Ireland win 2-0 but every single player played well and thats hard for me to say cos that includes Kevin Kilbane

Gary Doherty and Matt Holland definitely didn't play well. Matt Holland didn't make any big mistakes but he hadn't got much of the ball to do so. People get more mention for playing a bad game but Holland never does, people just forget he's on the pitch. He is still looked up to for his famous goals. He's slow, boring and sh!t.

We should fly through our next two matches, don't worry.

BTW since Kilbane played great, wheres Duff gonna play? I'd like to see Kilbane in the centre of Midfield for the friendly against Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

IMO he played so well cos for the first time he used his strength .... running at players with the ball ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

despite Kilbanes preformance which will make it very hard for him to lose his place i would still like to see the best left-winger in the premiership (Damien Duff) play on the left-wing for Ireland for once.

IMO Holland did not play bad, his play was not however very noticeable as he tended to be the player making the simple balls which gave other players the chance to impress through runs, crosses and shots.

it is just my opinion that the entire team played well with the possible exception of Doherty who still did the job he was chosen for and scored to give us the lead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Emboss
    sikes what dog food does your guide dog eat ? i'm not going to ask anymore who on this board actually plays football or knows a thing about the game sikes you're obviously not a united fan, ireland fan or even a football fan come on kids subbuteo isn't that expsensive

I am a spurs fan. I am a ireland fan and i am making my own opinion. I was merly making the point that O'Shea had a cracking season for united and thought that he didn't make the same inpact in the game. He was very poor i thought against albania but did play a bit better against Georgia.

well who would you have picked for MOTM. And i am sorry i am not the football brain you seem to be.

does anyone know if irelands home matches are back on RTE for good or did they just show these ones because they are lower profile?

have hardly seen an ireland match since the world cup because the FAI sold us out to sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

i cant believe nobody has mentioned Gary Breen yet. He was extremely calm on the ball, he looked comfortable and his disrtribution was excellent. i think everybody is too quick to slate him but he has been brian Kerr's most consistent player so far!
    His contribution is definatly better than "kick n' chase" kilbane!

well done Breeno!

Originally posted by eyerer
    does anyone know if irelands home matches are back on RTE for good or did they just show these ones because they are lower profile?

have hardly seen an ireland match since the world cup because the FAI sold us out to sky

There all on RTE from now on. Also, the Russia -v- Switzerland match is on RTE aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

holland was just treading water last night. if he doesn't improve it might be time to put carsely or delap in midefield alongside healy. I don't like to say it but it appears that kinsella and holland have gone rapidly downhill.

Originally posted by eireboy
    There all on RTE from now on. Also, the Russia -v- Switzerland match is on RTE aswell.

excellent
    did the sky contract expire or what?

Originally posted by eyerer
    excellent
    did the sky contract expire or what?
    No they sorted it out in court. The both channels have the Eire matches. The FAI must have given Sky some of the money back to componsate the loss in viewers.

Advertisement