Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

letterkenny dsl rollout delayed

Options
  • 11-06-2003 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭

anyone expecting dsl in letterkenny by end june apparently it's being delayed until at least september (wonder why the ida can't get companies to locate in the region - let me think now .............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

* me thought it was scheduled for "end of summer" in the first instance * .... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

apparently not i believe business were being told that dsl would be there by end june, but i guess as usual it probably depends on who you talk to and how annoyed you are, mind you it's the usual story donegal isn't important, certainly i never expect to get dsl in donegal town

mate of mine was an network engineer for prudential and he was told september .... but there you go. Its all half truths and third party information, go abuse your td about it ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

Please god no negative thoughts, I WILL HAVE DSL BY THE END OF JUNE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Never believe anything you hear in relation to any developments of any kind re: Letterkenny!.

Only believe it when you see it or try asking Sean Maloney!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Are you sure it's delayed? I was talking to Eircom on tuesday (after just an hour on hold, now THATS service!) and they said that the Letterkenny main exchange had already been upgraded and that broadband would be available in the next few weeks.

That said, €ircom aren't exactly the most trust-worthy of monopoly holders out there, but thats what they say, take it with a pinch of salt.

Civilian_Target

i heard it from a new call centre thats opened, if true ?, your only recourse is political. i see it this way eircom have a certain amount of resource to do the roll outs testing etc etc and they come under political pressure to do certain towns first - it looks to me like the business in letterkenny hasn't been shouting loud enough or long enough and certainly not in the right place (ie the two ff ministers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Letterkenny is known nationwide as a centre of excellance, re telecommunications due to its long established Educational Technology Centre and students from all parts of Ireland attend the Technology Institute.

If you live in Letterkenny?.. Why not join up with the students and start a - Broadband 4 Letterkenny - campaign, to include a march through the town.

At least it would attract the right type of publicity and embarass the political idiots!.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Try http://www.nwewireless.com it seems they already have customers in Letterkenny.

nwewireless say

Moville, Carndonagh and Letterkenny are 3-4 mths away.

unless more customers can be raised to speed up the roll out

• Advertisement

Whey!

Letterkenny exchange has gone live :D

now to order a phat peep, netsource seem dodgy so it might have to be a cap, i dont mind as long as the pings are good.

Eircom passed my line today said it would take up to 3 weeks to get an engineer around, also that i cant self install because of ISDN :(

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Jimmeh,

There's no way of getting around the self-install part. If service can't be provided after the exchange work, they have to revert you to ISDN, which they won't do if you go tampering with the Network Terminator on the wall.

I would have thought that the install time would have been closer to two weeks provincially, but this could be that the techs doing the installs in Donegal are the team based in Sligo who also have to deal with Carrick on Shannon which was launched recently.

Regards.

There is a way around if i downgrade to analogue first, but i dont know how much that would cost atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Not advised Jimmeh.

You'll pay €25 to downgrade which will take 3/4 days. You're then essentially starting from scratch, so you'll have to go through the whole rigmarole about line "retesting" that you've probably raed so much about here. This will probably heap another week onto the process- if you're lucky. They'll give you the self-install then, but they won't go near the box on the wall from the ISDN. If you can't sort that out they'll charge you, I think it's €129, for a normal tech to come and take the box away.

If you're not technically-minded, I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole (help offered if you're sure this is the route you want to take), not to mention the time delay.

The reason to down grade is because netsource dont have any engineers outside the greater dublin area, so it would have to be self install and to do that i need a standard line. They seem to have sorted out there bandwidth issues and are very tempting again. Thanks for the offer of help if it comes to that but i think i should be ok :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Letterkenny is live! Woohoo! Line test passed, broadband pending. Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

I've been passed too - but only i-Stream starter :(

Same as jimmeh, I have to get ISDN line downgraded, so self-install is out and they're quoting me 15 days; mind you, my previous experience with Eircom in Letterkenny is that when they quote 15 days, they usually turn up in about 4/5 days so I'm keeping my fingers crossed:)

Anyone in Letterkenny know where the upgraded exchange actually is ? I'm in Thorn Road.

Martin Harran

Thorn Road i can spit on you from here :D i on the ramelton road just after the thorn road.

The exchange is either at 2 places in town just over the road beside unifi at that eircom place or at the post office. I think its the post office.

Netsource say there shouldnt be a problem passing the downgraded line and therfore self install is an option again and a hell of alot cheaper than the engineer install from eircom.

Originally posted by jimmeh
    Thorn Road i can spit on you from here :D i on the ramelton road just after the thorn road.]

VFM floors here, please don't spit on us :)
    The exchange is either at 2 places in town just over the road beside unifi at that eircom place or at the post office. I think its the post office.

Don't think it's beside Unifi or we'd be close enough for enhanced service
    Netsource say there shouldnt be a problem passing the downgraded line and therfore self install is an option again and a hell of alot cheaper than the engineer install from eircom.
    Have to put business interests before personal distaste (kind word) for Eircom - I'm just worried that if I get Eircom to d/g the line and Netsource to connect me, it'll get screwed up somewhere and each will balme the other. Past experience has taught me to avoid any sort of development where 2 suppliers/competitors are both involved in the set-up :(

Martin Harran

• Advertisement

Well i ordered the down grade there yesterday and they said up to 10 - 15 days but if its anything like when i ordered ISDN it should be next week. Netsource here i come.

Wish me luck!

Well the downgrade didnt turn out to be anything near 0-15 days with it being done there on tuesday and the order pushed through by netsource the onwednesday with no troble, so it seems thats its all going well, a little to well i hear you say :)

while talking to the engineer on tuesday that had started to put in a good few lines, i know of someone near Unifi with a eircom 1 meg line.

netsource is still an option martin :)

Line activated yesterday recieved my filters today got a lend of a modem till mine comes in and flying along with nice pings and nice download speeds :D

Does this mean that Martin is going to get rid of his satellite connection ?

Originally posted by MDR
    Does this mean that Martin is going to get rid of his satellite connection ?
    Long gone, muck (End of the Beam Saga) but at least I have DSL to look forward to, even if it's only 256K

Martin

P.S. Anyone interested in a Dish and Satellite modem that the Beam w**kers didn't even get round to uninstalling ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by DonegalMan
    P.S. Anyone interested in a Dish and Satellite modem that the Beam w**kers didn't even get round to uninstalling ?

Are you serious? The satellite modem alone is worth 1500 euros!

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Are you serious? The satellite modem alone is worth 1500 euros!
    Perfectly serious !

If interested then PM me, I'm travelling at moment but will deal with it when I get back in just over 2 weeks.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Doing the install yourself should not be very difficult (worse case scenario would be the lend of a spectrum analyzer to aim it precisely), however I am not sure if you could buy the connectivity from Satlynx directly. Could anyone find out?

*already has a 360e modem*

Advertisement