Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice on change of car...

Options
  • 11-06-2003 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Story la...

I'm thinking of changing my car now, at the moment i drive a 94 nissan 100NX t-bar (for sale btw) anyways i want a celica im thinking of a 96/97 one, you know the one with the quad lamps.

im wondering what y'all think of them, i was looking at a 96 black one, jap import with 17" wheels, tis in perfect condition with 2 years nct and a 6 month warranty of a garage man that lives near me....he wants €8,600 for it tho.

What are the differences between an irish one and a jap import?

The car is a straight 2litre 16v would the gt model be better?

What do you think the price should be?

Do you know of any similar to this for sale, 2 things that are a must for me is black in color and the model with the quad lamps.

I could spend that sort of money if i wanted to but i don't think the car is actually worth that.

all opinions and answers to those questions or more info would be greatly appreciated.

cheers as always

Farlz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

From what I've read about them, they're overweight and under-powered, and don't handle especially well.

Not sure about differences between Japanese and European spec cars - probably slightly different engine tuning - cat may be different too. Emissions regs differ between the two territories leading to differences in engine spec. You'll also have the different sized rear numberplate.

Quite likely the suspension will be tuned differently - Japan has very smooth roads everywhere - Europe doesn't.

I'd imagine if you do a bit of searching on the web, you'll dig up plenty of info on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

From what i can see it revs out quicker than my 1600, doesn't have the power that you would expect a 2litre to have probably a good bit harder on petrol considerin i get 100 mile to a tenner.

The jap import has full electrics and air conditionin, and of course the square plate on the back, thats all i can notice.

still tho i think their a feckin lovely lookin car and the interior is deadly....smooth drive as well

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

This car would be a 6th Gen (1994-1999)

A friend recently bought a black '95 2.0L jap import, had been tempted to buy one in the past.

Four different engines were used in this car namely
    7afe, 3sge(J), 3sgte(J), 5sfe

Heres a link to sites covering the Celica

He tried to get a body kit for it and is having problems sourcing a kit in Irl and GB. Aparently the body panels are different dimensions, so are the brake discs and pads.

Like Chimaera said the emissions are different in Japan. AFAIK the Jap 2.0L produces a few less bhp than the UK model, probably means a different exhaust system also.

At this stage there are loads of these cars in the country so service parts availability shouldn't be a problem.

The speedo is calibrated in km/h instead of mph and km instead of miles....

Nice handling, lightish, and nippy...

Recently got to take a friends left-hand drive GT4 for a day, had modified ceramic turbo (dual turbo which eliminates turbo lag).. uprated dump valve etc... Lovely car but nearly finished off his 18" tyres by the time i gave it back ;) couldn't help myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭jamesd

We've a 96 Black Celica down our garage at the moment - The lad paid 8K for it without NCT to your price isnt to bad at all.

It's getting a full body kit and the works...
    Getting a kit for it was no bother at all as the Front/Rear Bumpers are the same - Pro Racing in Dublin supplied the kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

just out of interest james, which kit did he go for?....the one on the left hand side http://www.pro-racing.net/toyota.htm looks like a veilside kit i think.

I'm just wondering what kind of price you'd be talking for the kit and fitting and that?

Farlz

• Advertisement
Advertisement