Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

old school doherty

• 11-06-2003 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Whats the story with gary doherty, did he play much for spurs this season and where at the back or up front?

He is doing a decent a decent job with his old school skills up front, although he is quite dodgy with his feet. He says he wants to just be a defender but i think he should stay up front. Can he defend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont follow Spurs but AFIAK he's a second string player at White Hart Lane. Its bad for ROI that he keeps scoring/setting up goals
    as it measns Kerr may think he has a central part to play in the future of the team.

He's just an honest lump of a man, I'd sooner see two ball players up front.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Spurs fan here.

He is second string. In fact he's no.4 striker, after Keane (naturally), Sheringham (passenger all season), and Iversen (when he's fit:rolleyes: ), which doesn't say much for his prospects.

Was I alone in thinking that he looked afraid to challenge for high balls towards the end of tonights match? Looked like he just gave up cos' he's pi**ed off having refs give handy frees against him.

He's a decent defender, but he does get roasted by pacy players, him being fond of his pies and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

I agree he does need to get regular club football. Hes a good option up front for Ireland. Hes good in the air, and it showed last night with a well taken goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

He said that he will go back to Spurs as a centre half. I wonder will Kerr decide to use him in this role as well. I think he is probably better as a centre half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Nothing to do with Doherty but until Ireland get 2 World Class midfielders they going to stick with him front.
    Healy Holland Kinsella are all 1st division players we need Champions league players in midfield until we get them we buggered and im sure Russia and Swiss will expose that.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Nothing to do with Doherty but until Ireland get 2 World Class midfielders they going to stick with him front.
    Healy Holland Kinsella are all 1st division players we need Champions league players in midfield until we get them we buggered and im sure Russia and Swiss will expose that.

kdjac

:rolleyes:

Well, we're a small country with an even smaller pool of players to pick from. World class midfielders dont grow on trees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

We should come out of this group regardless now. I do not think Russia or Switzerland are good teams I think we just let them look good when we played them. Russia were awful in the world cup and we wiped the floor with them before it in a freindly, and their recent results are poor. As regards midfielders I would like to see Stephen reid get more playing time for us. I think he could be a really good player and I would like to see abit more of him. I was surprised to see Healy start before him last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Healy more than justified his inclusion last night. Maybe not Champions League material, but with regular club football he'll be a fixture in the starting eleven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I am not saying he did not justify his selection, I was just surprised that he was selected. But to be honest, I thought he was quiet enough in the game. He did do well at times but I thought Sky overstated his effect on the game in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

healy looks like a birhgt prospect - i didnt think he was exceptional last night. In fact i think his perforamnce was hyped.

I reckon if he had of spent sometime alongside roy keane, he probably would have learned a lot and become a great player.

I still think he can become a great player - but he needs someone to show him the ropes. His tackles were late most of the time and he didnt seem to like to hold on to the ball.

• Advertisement
Advertisement