Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheating?

• 11-06-2003 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

I was just browsing boards last night when my machine just powered off with no warning I thought the sockets had tripped out as can happen when my bro is using his somewhat dodgy amp:rolleyes: Upon powering up again I got a couple of beeps and the message "The Hardware monitor has detected an error, press del to enter set up " I suspected CPU over temperature and sure enough my CPU temperature was 87 degrees C :eek:
    So I quick powered off again and opened the beast up thinking the CPU fan or something has packed in but no everything is fine all fan working, the heatsink is well seated no problems to be seen at all:confused: The system is a self built one about nine months old now and It has never given an ounce of trouble untill now. Anyway the specs are MB Asus A7V333 CPU Athlon XP 2000 clocked at 1800Mhz I recently replaced the CPU heatsink and fan with a coolermaster one as the fan on the old one got very noisey but the temperature was always about 53 Degrees and fairly steady at that. The only other thing I added was Geforce4 4800se Graphics card which was early last week. At the moment I have installed anothet exhaust fan on back of the case and the temp is about 60 Degrees now but it now sounds like a friggin hoover as it's a big fan. Anybody any ideas as to what might cause this? I would be much obliged:)

Ryan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭hulhi

what kind of power supply have you got? if it's low-watt one than it could be that it's not being able to cope, and did you make sure the exhaust opening are clear of any obstruction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

imo coolermaster fans are no gud . i think you should reinvest in a nice new one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by elexes
    imo coolermaster fans are no gud . i think you should reinvest in a nice new one .

Recomend anything in particular?

My PSU is a 340W should be plenty.

Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Make sure that the heat sink is on the right way around. If its not making full contact with the CPU the pc will power of intermittantly. Took me a while to figure this out before with a new build.:rolleyes:

The heatsink is bang on I even re-seated it to make sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stick a new fan on the GFX card maybe along with the more powerful case fan, to help cool down the whole rig.

If all else fails, remove the sides of the case :p

I have This and this on my machine, and it's kept uber-cool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

How about this GF4 cooler instead to match your blue Fan

http://www.elara.ie/detailst.asp?productcode=FAN00009

can sort you out for the same price, as you probably didn't see it on this weeks specials :)

Ooohhh I likes it I will PM you my order number if you would be so kind as to change it:) Now jeez theres customer service for you I am well impressed:) :):)

Thanks

Ryan

Advertisement