Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on this dodgy "opportunity"...

• 11-06-2003 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Okay, Don't Laugh.
    I have been desperately looking for a job for the past 2 years, and finally got some call centre work in march but the calls expected werent reached so was let go after 2 weeks(along with about 12).
    So I interviewed for this "position" today and was called back for a conference type thing where they tell you more about the job.
    Basically its sales with huge incentives, except the initial sales is done over the phone by someone else, and then you call out. The hours are 2-10 6 days a week, but you dont get paid by the hour or anything. Youre self employed, and they supply you with the customers and stock.
    A couple of months down the line(if i last) Its gonna look worse on my CV with a bigger gap - as I can't really put this down, except I'll b making money. Should I forget about this and keep hunting for a normal job? Has anyone heard of this scheme before? I'm a little worried as to how they are gonna screw me over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Personally I would stay away from this sort of thing but then I'm not looking for a job right now. TBH you would probably be better off with something more stable with a bit more security it sounds like you will be working your ass off earning lots of money for someone else.

Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

well I saw the day through today, and politely said my goodbyes. Selling overpriced goods door to door is not my thing!
    Still, lesson learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Hecate
    Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me...

JESUS CHRIST!

where did you come from rob?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Ah I've been around, mainly lurking on the Unix board :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 OttoVonBis

Sounds a little like that excellent movie, Glengarry Glenross.

Should be watched by anyone ever interested in/forced to work in Sales!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

I think you will be battered to death with cold calling leads that have been done so many times the people just shout when u call.

My advice is go and get a trade maybe with FAS or something and start from scratch.

In the long term it will work even if the wages are s*** at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

This is probably the only job I've heard worse than selling tickets for the Hanelly centre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

grr ... those hanley centre guys have swarmed cork recently
    exterminate them, please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Bottle_of_Smoke: This is probably the only job I've heard worse than selling tickets for the Hanelly centre!

i really don't think it gets much worse than that...
    most people i know join me in coming up with imaginative ways to answer them

a few weeks back
    girl:"hello can i talk to you for a minute?"
    friend:"S*HIT, RUN!" *we ran*

imaginative, eh?
    and just yesterday one of them walked towards me and my girlfriend, we both closed our eyes and kept walking until we heard her laugh/walk away.

• Advertisement

to be honest with you i think thats pretty ****in unfair. Thats a job theyre doing - and a **** one at that - which I'm sure they already know without you concreting the fact and making it even worse for them. Be ****in fair, Not an Asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

okay, **** to you too then.

its ****in annoying being stopped 3 or 4 times on the way up streets on any day, and i have in the past bought tickets from them.

they make quit a bit of money off it, i had a friend who did it before

its not like i go out of my way to be rude to every salesperson in the city...just the ones that stop me in the street, repeatedly & daily....its not like they're doing it out of charitable good will. they get paid a good bit of commission for it,

and you wouldn't get that job if you couldn't take people being a bit rude to you in response

....way to suck the fun from my post

sorry yeah i kinda did turn it boring

Advertisement