Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slate

Options
  • 11-06-2003 11:34pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

anyone seen this months Slate?
    It has a write up about the crackdown on pirate radio, and mentions the supposed 'spin' rumour.

Always a class publication, now even better

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

I wouldn't say it's ALWAYS a class publication, some times it goes a bit to far, but usually it's a good honest read

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Their alternative motto for the Special Olympics is worth reading. Equal parts sublime/evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

so whats the 'spin' rumour?

Originally posted by James_M
    so whats the 'spin' rumour?

maybe spin acually sucks but it's being trying to hid it from it's listener!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Their alternative motto for the Special Olympics is worth reading. Equal parts sublime/evil.

That part's hilarious, however non-p.c. it may be!

• Advertisement

remember, when that woman wrote and artical about how crap the special olimpics were and there was an out cry? well i'm just saying they'd better watch out what they say. i think people should have a little respect for the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 roma

What? The special olympics is bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Tyrrial
    remember, when that woman wrote and artical about how crap the special olimpics were and there was an out cry? well i'm just saying they'd better watch out what they say. i think people should have a little respect for the event.

I'd imagine the fact that the Slate doesn't rely on health board advertising means they won't be too worried. Added to that is the fact that they have done much worse over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

dont u think its the most fu*ckin patranising thing in the world, calling them the "special" olympics:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Well it's a way of distinguishing them from the Paralympics (the games for athletes with a physical disablity) and the conventional Olympic Games.

What do you propose they call it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

Originally posted by roma
    What? The special olympics is bollocks.

You are a fuc kin assh ole. Those kids fuc kin love that event. Scary fu ckin sh it, how you or anyone else could say that. #scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 butterflywings

that's another thing- everyone calls the athletes taking place kids, most of them are adults, but it's just that the media is so bent on pointing out how very 'special' the athletes are that most people just look on them as children. while they are all special, and that should be recognised, the main focus should be on the games themselves (i think that was what the slate was trying to draw attention to somewhat..except sicker..too)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

the spin rumour is the following:

In the recent mid-year radio ratings spin fm had 2 points, which is pretty dismal for such a blatently pop station that should appeal to what is considered the majority. Soooo, SPIN scrambled for excuses and came up with the idea that its pirate radio stations that are stealing its listeners. It is then supposed to have pressured RegCom (whom for years have ignored stations like phantom) to close all pirate stations and thus 'force' the listeners to tune into stations like spin. obviously, this is a rediculous idea, as pirate stations such as phantom mainly appeal to somewhat more extreme listeners, be it rock or rave. SPIN is just ****ty pop, and if anyone is 'stealing' its listeners, its more than likely that established stations that pump out the same garbage, but are better at it like 98 fm or fm 104 are getting the points.

Its quite possible that its true too, but RegCom obviously deny it, and theirs no way of confirming it.

BTW, is it true that phantom are trying to get the special licence that star fm won and have since gone bust?

Flogen

Advertisement