Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a point to PS?

• 12-06-2003 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

This isn't meant as a flame or a troll. I'm just curious.

A lot of the people who have returned from PS back to NC have said that there is no point to PS.

What do they mean? I know there are bases but what do you get when you hold them? Are there cities to control?

For example in NC, holding OP's gives your clan cash, effects the stock exchange for your Faction, gives your trades people bonus stats (to build those rare weapons) and I think the next patch it will allow actual control of the map and who can easily get there.

They are starting to become important enough that the Clans of same faction are coming together to control the main ares around thier cities either by combat or politically with other factions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

PS maybe lacks depth ? Its just a suggestion, as i have not played Planetside yet. But it seems as though it could be the main culprit. From what i get, PS is just a massive CTF game. Any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Well as I've played I've realised that yes it really does lack depth. When you capture a base, that's it, it's captured and more likely than not you'll move on to the next base because there's no point defending it. You've got your points now be on your merry way. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the battles and such but unless something is done I doubt I'll pay for the second month.

I think there should be some way for a commander to take over a base and for every enemy they kill in the bases sphere of influence they get points for them and they're squad. And for every hack prevented more points still (the commander would have to have a limited command rank of 4 or 5 imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Once more and more people hit the higher levels Im sure more base defending will be going on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

Levels??? PS uses a level system? FFS, im glad i didnt buy the game now, not what i expect from a FPS. Someone please extrapolate on the "level" system in PS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Base defending is already going on on johari, some really major battles happening there over the last few days including a 3 way fire fight on hossin last nightwhich was just plain chaos...

Ive found johari is one of the much more balanced servers in temrs of faction balance and player friendlyness regardless of faction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Read this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89364

and read the PS website too, it will give you a feel for the game. I it massively multiplayer BF1942 set in the future basically. If you like killing lots of people with big guns then you'll have fun. It doesn't have very much 'depth' if you define depth in the RPG sense of the word. In terms of team tactics, strategy etc the game is only just beginning.

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Games with 'depth' are the games I like.
    But they are also the games which are addictive...check out Addictivnessss thread....
    So I miss the lack of depth in the game but am relieved too that I'm not always thinking about the game and going onto Exp threadmills etc.
    I find myself playing less but still enjoying the game when I do play.
    DemonBaby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

People seem to be moving away from my question.

Of course there are going to be wars. What I am saying is, is there any point for the war?

El Marco seems to be the only one has answered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

The 'point' in PS for me..is to kill the other factions.
    The 'point' in capping bases is to get the exp from it and to kill any defenders.
    The 'point' in geting exp is to get cert points and get ability to try different vehicles and weapons to kill enemies in new and fun ways.
    This is my view-point of the game and I'm sure others have a different view-point.
    The developers 'point of PS' is to make money...which I doubt they will do unless they add more reasons for taking over bases and defending them.
    Other people..when they say there is no 'point' in PS are really comparing PS to other games..as you did in your good example Hobbes.
    PS is basically a fps....
    DemonBaby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Nemesis
    PS is basically a fps....
    DemonBaby.

Which is fine and dandy, however in an FPS (as opposed to an MMORPG) your expected to 'Win' at some point. From what I gather there is no way to win. It's just full on combat with eventually getting better items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I guess that depends on how you define a win. When I log in I decide what I want to do, if I succeed I win, if not I don't. Or I join a squad and if we succeed in doing what we're doing then we win.. a lot of the time it's assaulting a certain base, or tower, or my favorite - hacking the enemy's AMS and then running them over with it. :)

The big goal most people have a lot of the time is to lock the continent they are on. Once that's done the enemy can't drop down anymore, you've effectively booted them off the map and can think about taking the fight to another one.

The developers have mooted the ability to strike at another empire's sanctuary under certain conditions, but I can't see this being much fun. It would just be massively multiplayer spawn camping.

Teeth.

Ive wittenessed TR almost get the NC sanc locked down( over 6 times)...short 2 or 3 bases, hell, Ive seen Vs do the same to TR quite a few times, its tough but it can be done.

And now with the new Continant lock incentives comming in, its going to make things a hell of a lot more intereasting

Sanc locks will just piss off alot of people tho as if one side has the forces to get the locks needed to be able to raid a scanc would mean the other side dosent and will just get whupped the whole night.

ture, but because of that threat people are going pay alot more attention to whats going on globally, and are going to fight harder to make sure that dosent happen.....

Ive been in quite a few situations where both myself and my outfit were getting completely pummeled, we very rarely gave up unless we were the only ones left, did we have any less fun, maybe...doubtful, maybe in a really nasty fight where the other 2 sides are cooperating(it happens alot, TR usually being the victim but not always) but in general we hold our own...and we have fun doing it.

but you also have to think about it...raiding a sanc is not going to be easy at all, eg you know how bad it can be trying to take a tower with 30 - 40 decent defenders, whats it going to be like with 400 - 500 people minium spawning at a sanc, there's no way
    that would be an easy fight for any attacker(espeacially with cont locks), hell, it could actually make the game better for the side under siege, they dont have to go looking for a fight, its right on their door step

Advertisement