Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More boring stuff on the 4 sale forums...

Options
  • 12-06-2003 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Following on from the thread in 4 sale, which I can't reply to since I was banned for muppetry which is fair enuff. (But its not in the rules either m'lurd). My reason for posting this.... "Feedback / Suggestions" tis all.

What about people who post their for sale items somewhere else than Boards.ie aswell as on the boards? Maybe they sell it to someone via word or mouth. By extension of the rules thus far, (all discussion to happen in thread only) that person also deserves a ban. I can understand that you want to reduce the amount of work that you have to do, but I think that these rules will increase your workload not decrease. You're going to be banning every new user who doesn't read the rules. That will be most of them. And some of the old crusties who don't bother reading them either. Most of them.

Also the idea of people reporting others for PM'ing them is dumb too. Its like the teacher trying to get you to rat your mates out for smoking around the back of the bike sheads. It either won't happen or will be abused. Maybe not, time will tell I guess. Personally I think it sets a really bad vibe.

As for there being few people posting in disagreement to the rules thus far, a lot of that is due to laziness and simply that most people don't read the rules. So making more them that people also won't read won't help either.

Incidentally I would normally be fairly good at reading the rules but to TBH I never noticed anything about PM's previously. I'd reckon 90% of my trades thus far on any forums have been mainly done via PM and email.

If you want to minimise the effort involved why not make it so that people can only create one post threads and noone can reply to them. In that way only ads will go up, and there'll be no discussions. All discussion would go on via email and PM, thus they'd only be a fraction of the work for the mods. Make them so that they expire after a week and you're sorted.

Maybe the forum software doesn't facilitate that though. Though you would be fixing the problem and not just the symptoms as you are now.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

My initial 2p...

Forums are designed for 2 way communication on a particular topic, they are open for all to see and therefore have an certain honestly about them.

The use of email and pm as part of communication on a specific thread means that part of the discussions are not visable to all users and so the openness and honesty of the forum can be lost.
    Which is unfair to someone using the forum as was intended.

You make some good points Ricardo.. I think we will add, that items appearing on boards may not be for sale elsewhere, if you want ot sell them elsewhere remove them from sale on Boards.ie

This way all dealings can be safetly done on the forum.. no need for pm or email.

Anyone see any flaws? and no dpnt say i want to be able to sell my item where-ever i want including boards.... thats just being bold...

Vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Just a thought..

Me being the lazy sod that i am, would like a link to the 3 forums within the For Sale forum to be accessed via the Drop-down menu.
    A bit like the Languages forum in the menu.

I just don't like clicking on the For Sale forum, then having to click on one of the sub-forums. It'd be handier to select one of the sub-forums straight away in the drop-down menu.

Although maybe this will clutter the menu up a bit too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

The reason why they are not available on the drop down menu is to have a facility to put notes in the forum descriptions regarding the rules... Due to the enourmous amount of rule breaking we need a facility to bring it to ppls attention.

The alternative was to have a rules page that everyone passthru before being able to access the forum, with and I have read and accept the rules button....

This method seemed the lesser of 2 evils....

It will likely change to the drop down menu in a while when people go into autopilot and do not read the notes under the forum title.

Anyhow...

Thx for the feedback.... it has been noted.

Vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Just out of interest... when I have my mouse over the likes of usercp below the banner ad... I get a speech bubble with info in it. "Here you can view..blah blah"

Can this not be put to more use on "menus"?

Or is that the hack you are having trouble with?

Info on the particular thread is already shown in the status bar when the mouse is hovered over the menu.

It only seems to be on the new trading board and the list of community>>public boards too though, maybe info should be put in for all of the threads?

• Advertisement
Advertisement