Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL prices in Greece...

Options
  • 12-06-2003 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

ADSL services in Greece are now available in almost every part of Greece…

The prices are...

OTE (similar to your eircom) has a monthly rental fee for the ADSL line at 384/128(the lower speed, it has and a 512,1024) of 32€ but without an Internet Connection (!!!) which means that we (the Greeks) will have to pay both OTE+ an ISP in order to access the internet!!!

Now the ISP prices are between 53€ to 60€ so the total price for a 384/128 line is:

32+53=85€ per month for a 384/128 (Flat-Rate) line…..

The good news are that OTE is planning for a 50% discount at January (or April) 2004…..

I believe that this discount will happen due to the Olympic Games of 2004 here in Athens.

And the most important thing is that all the packages are Flat-Rate (no download CAP)

So I’ll have to wait until next year………….

And I am expecting from all of you to come at the Olympic Games….

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ermis333

AND I FORGOT TO SAY

HELLO:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Good old Soula working her magic back in the homeland, eh? ;)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Weren't the Greeks banned from playing computer / video games? And if caught , imprisoned?

carb.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by ermis333
    ADSL services in Greece are now available in almost every part of Greece…

The prices are...

OTE (similar to your eircom) has a monthly rental fee for the ADSL line at 384/128(the lower speed, it has and a 512,1024) of 32€ but without an Internet Connection (!!!) which means that we (the Greeks) will have to pay both OTE+ an ISP in order to access the internet!!!

Now the ISP prices are between 53€ to 60€ so the total price for a 384/128 line is:

32+53=85€ per month for a 384/128 (Flat-Rate) line…..

The good news are that OTE is planning for a 50% discount at January (or April) 2004…..

I believe that this discount will happen due to the Olympic Games of 2004 here in Athens.

And the most important thing is that all the packages are Flat-Rate (no download CAP)

So I’ll have to wait until next year………….

And I am expecting from all of you to come at the Olympic Games….

so in other words when they reduce it by 50% Greece will have a cheaper, better service then in Ireland and it's available everywhere. Greece have only starting rolling it out and they are already gonna be ahead of Ireland. That means Ireland are gonna be bottom of the list as Greece used to be.

Originally posted by carbsy
    Weren't the Greeks banned from playing computer / video games? And if caught , imprisoned?

carb.

Yes but only for 10 days, this law doesn't exist anymore......

"so in other words when they reduce it by 50% Greece will have a cheaper, better service then in Ireland and it's available everywhere. Greece have only starting rolling it out and they are already gonna be ahead of Ireland. That means Ireland are gonna be bottom of the list as Greece used to be."

Yes that is true(but you can never trust OTE), also don't forget that we are organizing the 2004 Olympics!!!:D At least you in Ireland have bigger wages!!!

• Advertisement

we're hosting the Special Olympics. We got an aquatic centre. I'd have prefered cheap broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

i bet the aquatic center has an adsl connection :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The ISP charges seem very high at 53 minimum. Are they being reduced or is it just OTE's 32 ADSL charge.

Only OTE will drop its prices 50% at April 2004 (according to my informations). The ISP's should probably follow but with a discount of 20-30%, they will have no excuse if they don't cut their prices!!!!

The strange thing now is the huge installation+modem cost

we have to give almost 500€ from the first day(!!!) activation cost+installation cost+modem cost (the modem costs 211€);;

In all the other countries all these are for free if you sign a 1-year subscription and OTE is asking from us 500€.....yeah right...

Soula come to me baby....... ;);)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Also are you allowed to share your connection ?

If so then current prices there are comparable with our recently "halved" prices here...

Excluding Athens - Greece is not exactly ideal for telecoms - lots of cables would have to go around the mountains... - not like here where we have a central plain with canals and railways and ESB pylons forming lots of alternative cableways with easy accessiblility - betcha Greece hasn't had the govm't provide the telco's with more fibre than they know what to do with (litterly)

But should be ideal for solar powred wireless - my guess is that each village would have a local high point - so once you get BB in it should be easy to share..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I'm gonna be in Greece this summer for the Chemistry Olympics and there this summer, any chance I could take some cheap adsl home with me ? :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bring along a WiFI card ;)

LAST NEWS.....

The ISP's are offering all their ADSL packages with no charge until September!!!!!!! Here in Greece!!!TOTALY FREE (except OTE's 32€ chargeAND NO CAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

Do you think perhaps that the Special Olympics people chose Ireland to host the game because in their own way, the Irish are the Special Olympians of the Internet age?

Flame away, but the parallel is cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

ahhhh, so this is what it feels like to come last in Europe, i thought we could always count on Greece
    :(

let's just hope the Irish football team do better in Europe then our failing economy and competitivness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Canadian
    Do you think perhaps that the Special Olympics people chose Ireland to host the game because in their own way, the Irish are the Special Olympians of the Internet age?

Flame away, but the parallel is cute.

Yes im sure thats the reason. Im also pretty sure that posts like this are the reason you will be banned from this forum if you continue to post exclusivly digs at Ireland/The Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

Hmmmm - I think you took that one the wrong way. I certainly didn't mean to poke fun at the Irish, and I never would poke fun at a special olympian.

Its more the situation you find your collective self in - frustrating, depressing and certainly not your fault.

And you certainly can't argue with the fact that Ireland is a touch e-underdeveloped. Thats what this whole board is about.

Irony isn't abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Its following a tone from similar posts you seem to enjoy making.

Advertisement