Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

booing of arvaladze (sp?)

• 12-06-2003 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

any one else think it was disgraceful? the fact that he plays for rangers has absolutely nothing to do with ireland/georgia. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

It was disgraceful,Im fairly sure that Ireland have had a protestant player in the past, and what'll happen if an Irish player goes off and plays for Rangers? Will we boo him too?

Booing him accomplished nothing more then blackening our reputation..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

It was embarassing to think that there are Irish fans out there that are so misguided and feel the need to boo a player. There was no need to do it.

I wonder if an Irish player signed for Rangers would they be booing him too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I think we have seen a little taste of what could happen with the Neil Lennon scenario in N.I.

They've pretty much lost their best player due to idiocy and appart from Spain last night they have been really, really bad in his absence.

Is the FAI or UEFA doing anything about instances like this? Sectarianism really shouldn't be an issue at a football match. If it is then there is no right for people to begrudge the GAA for not allowing soccer in Croke Park, if anything the GAA's viewpoint is being validated.

The really funny thing is, coming from Georgia I doubt (although I admit I don't know) that there is a Protestant person in the entire Georgian squad. Does the lad even get a game for Rangers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

I think it is unfortunate that a small section of the crowd booed him. But also I think that people are over reacting on how bad this is. This kind of thing happens everywhere in football. (I am not trying to justify it in any way)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I agree with Ciano, only a SMALL section of the crowd where actually booing the guy.

It is sad but unfortunately it still happens

• Advertisement

I'm glad that it is only a small section of the crowd, but surely the problem should be tackled now before letting it creep further into the game.

The booing was very evident on the telivision coverage regardless of how many people were involved. If that's what the kids see when they watch a football match then the problem, no matter how big or small, will be perpetuated.

Granted it may be getting blown out of preportion but it's something that I want to see when I watch football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bettyboo

I was disgusted by the booing and think that the announcer could have at least asked people to refrain from doing it.

The FAI's failure to do anything about this is downright appalling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

wonder if an Irish player signed for Rangers would they be booing him too

the chances of that are slim thank god.

Originally posted by bettyboo
    I was disgusted by the booing and think that the announcer could have at least asked people to refrain from doing it.

That was tried in a previous international, but it only made the situation worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bettyboo

Maybe they could get one of the players to make an appeal before the game starts.. ala Beckham...

• Advertisement

Maybe they could get one of the players to make an appeal before the game starts.. ala Beckham...

I dont think we're quite as bad as the England just yet!

However, Brian Kerr has spoken out about the indident ...

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/euro2004/story.asp?newsid=5909

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

Originally posted by p.pete
    The booing was very evident on the telivision coverage regardless of how many people were involved.

yeah i agree, extremely noticable on rtes coverage. george hamilton made a few comments about it as well. it came across very badly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

They should do like in england,have cameras on the crowd and shame them by showing them on television.That or ban them from the next international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Alas it will probably continue till the mindless idiot's get bored, that or it would be interesting to see if a member of the Irish team joined rangers then it would be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Disgraceful.....

Small minded eejits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by treefingers
    george hamilton made a few comments about it as well. it came across very badly...

I know this is off the topic but does George Hamilton know a lot about football? At the start of the match he sayed "Kaladze must be good if he gets his game for Milan", shouldn't he actually know if he's decent by now without making a comment like that, its like he is unknown.

Then, when Switzerland went 3-1 up against Albania he commented "Ahh well, we were expecting that", well George, I wasn't. He makes it out like Switzerland are in the top ten in the world, but there 43rd, behind Honduras and Israel.

All through the match he kept saying that we have a game in hand over Switzerland, Please tell me you heard this.

The man of the match was voted John O'Shea, and who made that decision the other Irish commentator, Jonny Giles. There were a lot of better players out there on the night, Keane and Healy played a stormer, Kilbane played his best match he has ever played for Ireland but O'Shea gets the Match ball.

We need a change in Irish commentators before I crack up.

Originally posted by eireboy
    I know this is off the topic but does George Hamilton know a lot about football? At the start of the match he sayed "Kaladze must be good if he gets his game for Milan", shouldn't he actually know if he's decent by now without making a comment like that, its like he is unknown.
    George is an Irish footballing institution. Sitting at home and watching Ireland wouldn't be the same without comments like "... and Bonner has gone 165 minutes of these championships without conceding a goal. Oh danger here... ".

Of course he knows about football, he just gets excited in the moment. www.dangerhere.com is dedicated to him if you haven't seen it.

some of the other things that were said last night:
    http://www.dangerhere.com/gufflog/more.php?id=187_0_1_0_C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭xlex

I felt a significant number of the support Boo'ed the player and Brian Kerr made a request to refrain from said actions in his match notes...

Can I ask, does it say which clubs each player plays for in the match program? I just have a feeling that a lot of the "fans" booing wouldn't have a clue which one if any plays for rangers otherwise.

I'm not saying that the info should be witheld from the program, it deserves to be in there. I'm just pondering the intelligence of the people booing - is it a well researched thing or would they know one Georgian from another without being able to match them to the number on their jersey.

I don't think they would have had a clue only the PA announced him on the teamsheet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by Sposs
    They should do like in england,have cameras on the crowd and shame them by showing them on television.That or ban them from the next international.

you are jokin right. i was there last night and i witnessed this, but you wouldnt be complaining if we booed the whole team when they got possesion. Arveladze had a bit part role and a poor game so the booing had a negative effect on his game!!

if he was fantastic and stuck 2 screamers in the top corner you wouldnt have this attitude!!

the fact is that players get booed like if you mover from Rangers to Celtic, Liverpool to Everton, United to City etc. its a fact of the game.

so stop the bitchin - i dont condone booing in friendly matches but in a game you have to win i can see why you would do anything to back the lads!!

well smart@ss if our support used the effort to support our players rather than Boo Shota then there would be no bitching!!

It all depends on the reason for the booing. If it is born out of a distaste for the club that they play for then it really is degrading against ourselves. I really hate Man U but it doesn't mean I'm going to boo John O'Shea which is pretty much what this boils down to.

Booing of course is just a form of crowd participation which can of course be a good thing. If a player were to viciously foul one of the home players, a hand ball or something like that then I would not think it unfair for there to be some booing.

If we booed the whole team when they had possesion that would have been fine too. That would be intimidation against the whole team - and I wouldn't dream of putting up a protest if they did it to us in Georgia. That would be crowd participation creating an atmosphere where the entire team find it difficult a la Galatasary.

Unless an individual does something deserving (and playing for Rangers is not deserving) or they are David Beckham then individuals should not be picked out and jeered.

Originally posted by xlex
    well smart@ss if our support used the effort to support our players rather than Boo Shota then there would be no bitching!!

i thought that being in the situation we were in (having to winn all our game) it would merit doing anything (within reason) to win. i've been at nearly every ireland home international, and do not condone thins booing but i can understand it. xlex where were you last night in the ground? i was up in the North stand beside the eircom supporters and i can tell you that 50 % of them were booing shota...... and your saying these arnt real supporters??
    It all depends on the reason for the booing. If it is born out of a distaste for the club that they play for then it really is degrading against ourselves. I really hate Man U but it doesn't mean I'm going to boo John O'Shea which is pretty much what this boils down to.

Booing of course is just a form of crowd participation which can of course be a good thing. If a player were to viciously foul one of the home players, a hand ball or something like that then I would not think it unfair for there to be some booing.

If we booed the whole team when they had possesion that would have been fine too. That would be intimidation against the whole team - and I wouldn't dream of putting up a protest if they did it to us in Georgia. That would be crowd participation creating an atmosphere where the entire team find it difficult a la Galatasary.

Unless an individual does something deserving (and playing for Rangers is not deserving) or they are David Beckham then individuals should not be picked out and jeered.

totally agree

Originally posted by VinnyL
    i thought that being in the situation we were in (having to winn all our game) it would merit doing anything (within reason) to win. i've been at nearly every ireland home international, and do not condone thins booing but i can understand it. xlex where were you last night in the ground? i was up in the North stand beside the eircom supporters and i can tell you that 50 % of them were booing shota...... and your saying these arnt real supporters??

totally agree

They might be "real" supporters but that doesn't stop them from being ignorant supporters,i agree with you that the fans must do everything to help the team in a must win game but then they should boo all the players and not just victimise one.

was there myself and I'd like to I subscribe to the positive type of supporter... I haven't been to many Ireland games but the level of Booing surprized me... I think if the crowd cheered rather than boo ing we'd be positively supporting the team rather than singling out one individual for Booing...

I think 50% is a fair estimate but you'd have to say the percentage was higher in the rest of the ground...

Did you Boo Shota?

Originally posted by Sposs
    They might be "real" supporters but that doesn't stop them from being ignorant supporters,i agree with you that the fans must do everything to help the team in a must win game but then they should boo all the players and not just victimise one.

and can you tell me what makes you so qualified to speak like that about the eL support?

Do any of the people booing consider the embarassment that they must be causing for the Irish players on the pitch? I'm sure it actually had a negative impact on our own players performance more than any negative against the Georgians.

I totally agree that a bit of positive support for our own players would be refreshing.

and can you tell me what makes you so qualified to speak like that about the eL support?
    Maybe the fact that they were booing shows their ignorance.

• Advertisement

a handful of people in the eL sectionbooed, It is not in the eL's supporters interest to boo players whom play with Scottish team, whose main opponents are also a Scottish team... the eL supporters did not boo Shota, individuals did, some of which are eL supporters...

Of those who booed this player, the eL support made up about 5~6%...

fu*king generalisations!! Where were you for the game?

was there myself and I'd like to I subscribe to the positive type of supporter... I haven't been to many Ireland games but the level of Booing surprized me... I think if the crowd cheered rather than boo ing we'd be positively supporting the team rather than singling out one individual for Booing...

I think 50% is a fair estimate but you'd have to say the percentage was higher in the rest of the ground...

Did you Boo Shota?

i didnt boo him at all at all

i remember the denmark match when they were booing lovenkrans and meself and about 30 other lads drowned them out with "Shay Shay, Super Shay"!!

thats the only way to shut them up.

and the stadium announcer gave out about the booing at the denmark game aswell!

I am an Eircom League Supporter myself,and i didnt feel the need to boo him after all,he's never done anything against my team which is Kildare County,and as far as i know he's never scored or played for any other eircom team therfore i dont know why anyone should be booing him!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

FAI need to pull their fingers out of their arses and come down hard on the morons who seem to be there to support their club rather than their nation, embarrassing their team in the process. They need to take a few lessons out of the English FAs book on identifying the twats and banning them from the stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

its simple the reason why arvaladze was booed arvaladze=rangers player=Protestants=skum(according to many ppl in ireland. i wanna ask the ppl of ireland what is so degrading about protestantism.

For the record i am a protestant myself but that doesnt make me any less irish than a catholic is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

The FAI's failure to do anything about this is downright appalling!

I was at a meeting with the FAI with regards to crowd management and security. We as stewards have a right to eject people from the ground with any racist remarks seen or heard. Also the thing about the PA announcer made it worse at the Switzerland game, a Rangers player was booed just because of the club team he's with.

• Advertisement

Sposs, Why did you make a comment like you did? Was it the North Bucket which booed Shota? you denounced the eL supporters as ignorant, you are an eL supporter, throught your affiliation with County, by deduction you too, are ignorant... :confused:
    I'd really like to know why you made such a statement...

BTW Fran Rooney has called for the booing of Glasgow Rangers players to end... Brian Kerr made a plea in his pre-match address and in the centre of the program there is a notice reading something like,

The FAI denounce verbal abuse of players based on race, creed, religion or anything related to any other affiliation...

Can't say the FAI aren't keen to stamp it out...

Originally posted by VinnyL
    i didnt boo him at all at all

i remember the denmark match when they were booing lovenkrans and meself and about 30 other lads drowned them out with "Shay Shay, Super Shay"!!

thats the only way to shut them up.

and the stadium announcer gave out about the booing at the denmark game aswell!

I think we have little to disagree about!!:)

Sposs, Why did you make a comment like you did? Was it the North Bucket which booed Shota? you denounced the eL supporters as ignorant, you are an eL supporter, throught your affiliation with County, by deduction you too, are ignorant... :confused:
    I'd really like to know why you made such a statement...
    xlex, I think the statement you are talking about was "They might be "real" supporters but that doesn't stop them from being ignorant supporters"?

Taking that statement literally I don't see how it adds up to sposs calling eL supporters ignorant. The key words are "that doesn't stop them from being ignorant". Basically what Sposs was saying is that being an eL supporter doesn't make you ignorant or clever - that's down to the individual. Maybe there were more booers in the eL section but you can draw your own conclusions from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The crowd were booing Georgia in general, which is despicable. Unfortunately, it was coming from all around the ground. I saw fathers encouraging their young sons to do it. I've been going to the games for years, but this unprovoked abuse only started recently as far as I’m concerned.

I’m unlikely to see such needless abuse on Sunday, when Dublin play Laois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Originally posted by Praetorian
    I’m unlikely to see such needless abuse on Sunday, when Dublin play Laois.

I assume you were being sarcastic, no abuse at a Dublin GAA game ... that'll be the day.

Anywhoo boo the booers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

It was disgraceful.

however I think this guy came in for special treatment because he had a Blue Sombrero on after Rangers won the league in referance to Celtic losing the Uefa cup in Spain.

but totally it has no place.

Originally posted by p.pete
    xlex, I think the statement you are talking about was "They might be "real" supporters but that doesn't stop them from being ignorant supporters"?

Taking that statement literally I don't see how it adds up to sposs calling eL supporters ignorant. The key words are "that doesn't stop them from being ignorant". Basically what Sposs was saying is that being an eL supporter doesn't make you ignorant or clever - that's down to the individual. Maybe there were more booers in the eL section but you can draw your own conclusions from that.

yeah I agree, and I was saddened that eL supporters booed Shota...

Originally posted by JaneyMackers
    It was disgraceful.

however I think this guy came in for special treatment because he had a Blue Sombrero on after Rangers won the league in referance to Celtic losing the Uefa cup in Spain.

but totally it has no place.

Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers have nothing to do with Ireland/Georgia and it doesn't belong to Landsdowne Rd, and the Bigotry and hatrid doesn't belong in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

I agree Xelx,

But tell that to the 20,000 celtic supporters that were there.

I felt sorry for the lad I must say. When a guy is playing for his country he should be treated as a gerogian player not a rangers player.

Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers have nothing to do with Ireland/Georgia and it doesn't belong to Landsdowne Rd, and the Bigotry and hatrid doesn't belong in Ireland...
    From an ownership point of view it's actually more a rugby venue than soccer - I'm sure their is a clever sarcastic spin I can put on that, someone help me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

i dont care about the fact that they're all Celtic supporters, that's no excuse.....the majority of, i dunno, japanese soccer fans support ManYoo but you dont see them booing any Man City players during internationals

Advertisement