Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clampers

Options
  • 12-06-2003 12:59pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I parked my car on ely place this morning in Dublin @ about 7:45. A few minutes later two clampers appeared and took the reg no of the car behind me (a green E46 BMW).
    About 20 minutes later they arrived back and proceeded to clamp the car (I was still sitting in my car). Feeling sorry for the owner I asked if i put a ticket on the window would they get off. I was told (by fascist #1) that this was illegal as the sticker has to be on the inside as it could blow off.
    "But what if I placed it under the wipers?"
    Fascist #2 then told me that there is basically no way and hurried and affixed the clamp.
    About an hour later the car was unclamped and driven off.
    Are these **** working on a commission from their employers or is it that they are just ****?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by kbannon

Are these **** working on a commission from their employers or is it that they are just ****?

As far as I know, they do work to commission.
    Then again, I don't have any sympathy for the guy who got clamped, he should have known what time he had left on his parking ticket.
    I work in D4, and the cars you see clamped are almost always the most expensive ones, lexus, BMW, jags. It's as if these people think if they have a big f*** off car, they're above the law. You'd think if you can afford a BMW you can afford to feed the metre!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I kinda initially thoiught the same but I figured that given it was dawn, the driver possibly left it there last night after having a few bevvies. AFAIK, you still can't get tickets for the following morning. And thats why I thought I would help them (and partly because I am part of the BMW Car Club - (drive an e30 myself))

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

A little from column A, a little from column B

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

About 20 minutes later they arrived back and proceeded to clamp the car (I was still sitting in my car). Feeling sorry for the owner I asked if i put a ticket on the window would they get off.
    Oooh, someone broke the law and they got fined, wow, I really feel sympathy for him. And you tried to assist him in breaking the law?
    Not to the best of my knowledge. As best I know the company is on a fixed contract and the stafff would therefore be on fixed wages.
    AFAIK, you still can't get tickets for the following morning.
    AFAIK, you can, certainly they are allowed for in the Bye-Laws.
    and partly because I am part of the BMW Car Club - (drive an e30 myself))
    And you are calling other people w*nkers! :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

The only two times I have been clamped is where I have left my car in town after having a few beers. It is very hard to try and get into town in the morning before 7am to remove it.

Both times I have cursed/blinded/spat at the clampers. They are pure scumbags/foreigners which i hate with a vengence.

Plus if you do start to push/punch them around a bit they call all their "corpo" buddies on their radio. Utter scum!!!

Chief.

• Advertisement

I am part of the BMW Car Club - (drive an e30 myself))

A fine choice of car if i do say so myself. Have you covered your econometer yet ??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Chief---
    The only two times I have been clamped is where I have left my car in town after having a few beers. It is very hard to try and get into town in the morning before 7am to remove it.

In fairness Chieft0r, if you park yourself in one of the big car parks you pay €4(?) and don't have to collect it til before 10am the next day. Much better if you're off out on the piss (you spa :p). Plus it's safer.

Drivers know the rules. If you park illegally, you get clamped. Plain and simple. I have no sympathy for the "I was only going in for a second" or "I'm only over there you can come and get me" brigade. There's far too many arrogant feckers around who don't give a fck about other road users.

I drive a bike. I park where I want, when I want, for free. Such things matter not to me :D

A fine choice of car if i do say so myself.
    Thanks!
    Have you covered your econometer yet ??
    eh?

The thing that tells you how many miles per gallon you are doing. Its like the flashing light on my pc, I had to cover it up.

I have a needle gauge telling me my consumption. It didn't work because the rechargable batteries were shot but I got a new board and it works fine now - its not even a slight distraction to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by seamus
    Drivers know the rules. If you park illegally, you get clamped. Plain and simple. I have no sympathy for the "I was only going in for a second" or "I'm only over there you can come and get me" brigade. There's far too many arrogant feckers around who don't give a fck about other road users.

I'd agree with you if they were blocking the road or obstructing an entrance, but tbh, I think we should be allowed park on the street for as long as we like - for free.

I remember sitting in my car behind the train station in Cork one day, when the clampers came and clamped the car in front of me. It's not a busy street, and there was plenty of empty parking spaces. He wasn't obstructing anyone, and he wasn't preventing anyone else from parking so why should he have to pay an extortionate fee just to drive home?

The system was introduced for high-demand areas to encourage people to move on and make space for someone else, but I think it's stupid. You should never have to pay to park on a public street.

I remember seeing the clampers remove a car on D'Olier St. at about 5:30 pm on a tuesday - the clamper truck ended up blocking already heavy traffic. The car was in a safe position before they lifted it!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

After 8pm, you can buy up to 3 hours of parking for the next morning.
    Both times I have cursed/blinded/spat at the clampers. They are pure scumbags/foreigners which i hate with a vengence.
    So we are resorting to name calling when caught out now. I really like the racist bit. :rolleyes:
    Plus if you do start to push/punch them around a bit they call all their "corpo" buddies on their radio. Utter scum!!!
    Hang on you attack them .. they are scum? And why wouldn't they call their buddies, would you prefer they call the Garda? Finally they work for a private company, contracted to the council, the "Corporation" no longer exists, it is Dublin City Council.

Advertisement