Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SL 55 Camera or no Camera!

• 12-06-2003 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Ladies , Gentlemen lend me your brains!!

Anyone know if the Siemens SL55 Actually has an intergrated Camera?

Komplett state its a clip on like the previous model ,
    Komplett

And the Siemens website thats the same
    Siemens

But.......
    If you go into tech details on the siemens site it says further down its got a camera and i dont think its an attachment as its not listed in the box and also Expansys state its got a camera

anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

definately not integrated

rooted out my notes and they mentioned a QuickPic Camera IQP-510 as an add on accessory (with a built in flash)

hth,
    BrianG

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

DubWireless is right - doesn't come with a camera as standard - needs to be bought seperately. One note - the camera is quite cool and gives clear pictures - also when emailled the picture is full size not those small pics you can get with other phones.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

thats great guys , thanks for clearing that up!

Smithers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Yup, the camera is quite cool. Pitch black subjects can be lit up like a christmas tree with the flash & the quality of the images is among the best on the market. It would be a good move to buy it if you think you'd use it at all.

i ordered one in for a mate and picked it up today , omg what a sexy little phone , the pics dont do it justice at all , u need to see it to believe it ,!!

• Advertisement

i have heard a rumour guys that its General Availibility here has been delayed due to a call back by seimens with a problem with the screens , anyone else know anything about it?
    Thanks
    D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

seriously thinking of selling my Nokia 7650 and getting one of these babies. Friend has one and they are sexy. Also Bluetooth enabled which is great.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

If I were you I would save my money and get a SE T610 .. The Siemens screen seemed very poor to me .. Icons were second rate .. Nice small phone though but not as nice as the T610

Originally posted by LFCFan
    seriously thinking of selling my Nokia 7650 and getting one of these babies. Friend has one and they are sexy. Also Bluetooth enabled which is great.

hi - just a pointer - the SL 55 isn't Bluetooth enabled (the S 55 is) - was hoping the SL 55 would have Bluetooth when the info on the phone initally came out but unfortunately it didn't come to pass. the S 55 is currently the only Siemens handset available with bluetooth (with the U10 and SX1 scheduled next)

so, as sharkman says, the T610 would be a better option unless size is everything then the SL 55 is pretty much out there on its own and it's an amazingly small package...

siemens_sl55_open_cebit_03_devices.ie.jpg

hth,
    BrianG

Originally posted by sharkman
    If I were you I would save my money and get a SE T610 .. The Siemens screen seemed very poor to me .. Icons were second rate .. Nice small phone though but not as nice as the T610
    I am still oblivious as to why many of you adore the T610. I'm quite wary of any phone with a camera image resolution of anything less than 640x480, the T610's 288x352 res doesn't really do it for me. I'd pick the 7250 over the T610 any day of the week, at least it has a radio :)

Indeed, the SL55 icons aren't great, but it's a very small phone. However, in terms of the camera, it blows almost everything else out of the water. It's superior resolution (640x480) & flash are unmatched.

• Advertisement

why the T610 would win for me over a 7250...

technically:

T610+: bluetooth, 65,536 colour display, built-in email client

7250+: a radio...

max image capture size is the same on both but at least there is a flash option for the T610

flexibility:

radio is a nice built-in feature for the 7250, although the T610 is flexible enough to add it as an attachment. the T610 also has the possibility of being used with the HBM-30 MP3 Bluetooth Headset (how it integrates with a Nokia handset isn't clear yet - i.e. caller id / voice labels passing to the unit from phone) - and given the radio stations in dublin - personally i'd listen to my own music selection first anyday!

BrianG

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

The T610 is very boring looking. Blocky with boring looking keys. I thought the 7650 was a bit square till I saw the T610.

T610.jpg

Originally posted by DubWireless
    T610+: bluetooth, 65,536 colour display, built-in email client
    Personally, if the camera isn't great, then it kind of negates the otherwise useful features which you've already mentioned on the T610. I'd use Bluetooth & the e-mail client for transfering images, but I wouldn't be bothered if the images were of inferior quality.
    max image capture size is the same on both but at least there is a flash option for the T610
    Ah, attachments! I really do hate them :) They add extra weight, size & inconvenience to phones.
    radio is a nice built-in feature for the 7250, although the T610 is flexible enough to add it as an attachment
    Yes, but the Nokia has it built-in! No extra bits! :)
    the T610 also has the possibility of being used with the HBM-30 MP3 Bluetooth Headset
    Just had a quick look at that, looks quite nice. Any idea how much it will cost? Expansys don't have a price for it.

Originally posted by Fidelis
    Personally, if the camera isn't great, then it kind of negates the otherwise useful features which you've already mentioned on the T610. I'd use Bluetooth & the e-mail client for transfering images, but I wouldn't be bothered if the images were of inferior quality.

camera comes last for me - the other's would be more important (bluetooth and email) - until we get decent cameras in phone here (e.g. like the 1.3 MegaPixel SonyEricsson have in the Japanise market DoCoMo SO505i) we just get varying degrees of bad quality pics (i.e. fun pics) - also different conditions in which the shots are taken can have a big impact on the quality - so like for like comparisons can be difficult unless a wide range of samples are taken - at least the T610 has the option of adding a flash to enhance the quality even more
    Ah, attachments! I really do hate them They add extra weight, size & inconvenience to phones.

the SE radio attaches to the phone in the same way the pop-port connector does on the Nokia (and about the same size connection), personally i prefer the SE design, with the neat control unit that sits on chord with a display and control buttons like (higher spec) minidisk/diskman have on their head phoens

the attachment vs integration - i couldn't be as sweeping in my thinking that all attachemnts are bad - i'm not a huge fan of pluging things in and having to rememebr to bring bits and pieces along - but if they enhance the usage of the device or are of enough benefit i'll do it - for example the main phone attachement i'd use is the MP3 player by Ericsson, i'd be lost with out it as i listen to music so much, it also saves me having to carry a seperate mp3 player/ mini disk around with me
    Just had a quick look at that, looks quite nice. Any idea how much it will cost? Expansys don't have a price for it.

it's a great device (a real example of what a combined Sony and Ericsson can produce) - sorry I don't know the price - only played with a prototype and they hadn't decided on what size of memory stick or the headphones they were going with so they didn't have any info on the pricing

atb,
    BrianG

Originally posted by DubWireless
    the SE radio attaches to the phone in the same way the pop-port connector does on the Nokia (and about the same size connection
    That's a good point. I was delighted when I first activated the loudspeaker on the radio on the N7250, it seemed pretty cool to have a mini stereo at hand, then I unplugged the headset and the radio stopped. Apparently it uses the wire of the headset connected to the phone as an aerial and can't operate without it.

If the camera isn't a big factor for you then I can see the attraction to the T610, simply because it has alot in a small package. Oh, and it looks as though it'll be approved shortly... although I'd think twice before blowing a wad of cash on a Vodafone customised handset ;)

Advertisement