Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vocabulary count stat

Options
  • 12-06-2003 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Go on, abuse that database and giv'us a stat showing the number of unique words each poster has. It might increase the level of english of us all. Or increase the amount of alternative spellings.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

That's a cool suggestion - suppose it would have to be based on words that match up to a dictionary definition. It would probably be a bitch to implement though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

good god why?

oh, and "alternative spellings"

you mean like l33t?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Haha, that sounds funny. It wouldn't actually be that hard to do, it'd probably just murder the database ...

Hm .... devil.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

prob cause more probloms then worth

Might be easier to occasionaly release the statistics and store them somewhere rather than keeping a running total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Come on, I'm not great at SQL. I can do it in unix, use sed to replace all white space and punctuation with newline, to get all words on seperate line. Then use sort piped to uniq piped to wc, to sort, remove duplicates and count.

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    Come on, I'm not great at SQL. I can do it in unix, use sed to replace all white space and punctuation with newline, to get all words on seperate line. Then use sort piped to uniq piped to wc, to sort, remove duplicates and count.
    Yes, but do you want this procedure being run for every single post - I don't know how much you know about it but it could cause a lot of unecessary processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

How about stats on more high level things like:

which forum(s) a user posts most to.
    how many threads they actually initiate (as opposed to reply to).

Based on these type of stats you could also work out which users have the most "interests" in common with each other. It could help you to find your boards.ie soulmate (or arch enemy)!

davej

Advertisement