Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Shea Man Of The Match???

• 12-06-2003 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

whats the story here lads!!

not to say the chap had a bad game but it remindes me of the aul scenario, where Keano used to get the MOM award for simply showing up.

i know i'm a hopeless ABU, but i hate seeing this creep back in. O Shea is class, but on the night vroom vroom Carr or healy deserved it more!!

agree??

Your Man of The Match Wednsday night 37 votes

Carr
    0% 0 votes
    Healy
    8% 3 votes
    O' Shea
    40% 15 votes
    Keane
    10% 4 votes
    Kilbane (first time ever?)
    13% 5 votes
    Holland
    27% 10 votes
    Other?
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

kilbane

i feel dirty now :(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I don't think O'Shea deserved the man of the match award either. Keane was great, Healy was very good, even Doherty played well. I never thought I'd say anything positive about Doherty ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Kilbane had his best game ever,and actually deserved it.

Ugh me runs to shower!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

Originally posted by Praetorian
    I don't think O'Shea deserved the man of the match award either. Keane was great, Healy was very good, even Doherty played well. I never thought I'd say anything positive about Doherty ;)

yeah doherty managed to play well without doing 1 good thing with the ball on the ground! i think that just swings it in his direction!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

10 votes so far and none for O'Shea. Doesn't John Giles log into Boards???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Ìn fairness I think any of the players mentioned deserve it. That is about the closest I will ever come to paying Kilbane a compliment and I think it would be very unfair if anyone ever threw itr back in my face in the future. About Healy, I thought he did reasonable well, but I could not see where he was outstanding at any stage of the match. I do not really see wherte all the hype about him last night and today is coming from.

Fair point about Healy but he has played f**k all this season and to come into the team and play so solidly is comendable. Maybe not deserving of man of the match but certainly good enough to put himself in the shop window, maybe for a newly promoted premiership team. Would be good if he could get a bit more experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Yeah I think O'Shea is getting the old "we love you so much, cause yer new and good" treatment.

I thought by his standards that he didnt actually have the greatest of games.

I thought the most outstanding were Keane and Healy, but I would pick Keane over healy. Healy is getting a bit of that "ah you ran yer arse off, good lad" attention - but he only played one great ball throughout the whole match.

Kilbane had a great game FOR HIS standards, but not worthy of man of the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

is it just me or does Keano take WAY too much out of the ball?? he did it all the time against Albania, and a few times yesterday. the crowd weren't too happy with that...

Originally posted by VinnyL
    is it just me or does Keano take WAY too much out of the ball?? he did it all the time against Albania, and a few times yesterday. the crowd weren't too happy with that...
    Certainly he tried on lots of occasions to beat an extra man when it wasn't necessary. The fact that all the defenders are around you means that they are not where they should be marking a team-mate, cop onto this and there will be a few more goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

To be honest I think O'Shea was in with as good a shout as anyone for man of the match.

He saw an awful lot of the ball and invaribaly did the right thing with it and he was always looking to go on the overlap but never got caught out on the break.

Also he was the most active of the Irish back four in bringing the ball out of defense, Carr had some great moments when recieving the ball in the Georgian half but from what I can see O'Shea was the only one looking to carry the ball out and look for a midfield player and go on a run.

I can't remember the amout of times Given found him with a throw out and let him set up the play from there. Irelands worst periods conincided with Given booting the ball upfield rather than allowing the defence and mostly O'Shea to keep the ball and find the right midfield player.

Well deserved me reckons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Healy gets my vote. ive always said that he was a good player. if he could get his game everyweek he could be our best midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I hear Mick McCarthy is after Healy for the Sunderland midfield. It would mean that he would probably get weekly games but I duno about teh first division. I think a place in a midtable premiership side would be good for. We dont need two first division midfielders in the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Matt Holland will be playing for Portsmoutn next season so he will be in the premiership. I hope Healy does not make a rash decision to join Sunderland as I would say there could be interest from some premiership clubs if he shows a bit of patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As I said in another thread Healy was my MOTM. John O'Shea did play well but Healy caught my eye, he put some bite back in midfield with the added bonus of good incisive passes forward. Hopefully someone comes in and gives him some 1st team footie, weren't Everton chasing him earlier inthe season ?

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Originally posted by Waylander
    Matt Holland will be playing for Portsmoutn next season so he will be in the premiership. I hope Healy does not make a rash decision to join Sunderland as I would say there could be interest from some premiership clubs if he shows a bit of patience.

Charlton signed him

also

I thought Kilbane played v.well and himself or healy deserved motm

Advertisement