Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It was 15 years ago today

• 12-06-2003 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

In the words of Christy Moore

" And then Ray Houghton got the ball
    And stuck it in the net"

15 years ago today Ireland beat england 1-0 in Stuttgart and started the soccer revolution in the republic of Ireland. Now three world cup qualifications later Ireland are ranked comfortably inside the top twenty teams in the world, and have even learned how to take the ball down and play a little since then. Just thought I would share the historic anniversary with you. How many people can remeber the game, just out of curiosity. I was 14 years old and have a fair memory of the game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I remember it well, it was during my Inter Cert, I too was 14.

It was a scorcher of a day and we watched it on the TV in the back garden.

You could leave your doors unlocked in thos.............................................................................................................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

remeber the game like it was yesterday........ that makes me feel ill.... 15 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the whole estate was watching it in the green where one of the neighbours had his telly out!

OMG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I was 14 working in Lough and Quay in D 22 seen it there.

Thank god we have moved on from those shorts.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I was 12.75 years old. Remember it well, sort of. Great day. Great days. You could run around playing ball for 5 hours and not get cramp and then get up at 9 the next morning and do it again. Man I'm sweating just typing this. Damn this old age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was 23 and sitting in the studio of a pirate radio station with the telly turned down. I proberly missed the goal as it happened as I was queuing up The Scorpions!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

During my inter cert also. Great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

I dont suppose anyone has the goal on mpg??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it :)

thanks for the reminder, so I can wind up my english work mates all afternoon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah yes I remember this well I was 18 and just doing the LC that year.

I watched it at home with some friends came out onto the street at half time and there was a guy sitting on the grass verge with his head in his hands. He had bet his whole weeks wages with a English bloke in the pub that Ireland would win, he couldn't watch the game after Ray had scored and left the pub ended up outside our gaff.

All he was saying was "The wife will kill me, she'll batter me......", I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in his gaff when he eventually got home LOL

ah happy memories !

Gandalf.

Advertisement