Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweedledu... er, Phil and Bill parry on Today FM

Options
  • 12-06-2003 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Just tuned into the Last Word on Today FM..caught the topics to be covered this evening between 5 & 7 ...& one was the following:

"Eircom & ESAT battle it out over charges"

Hopefully Eircom are going to get some more of the publicity they deserve:D..cant see it going the other way (seeing as ESAT BT are sponsors of the Last Word)

Anyway, i have to go out:( ...so if anyone reads this and is in a position to do so, can u tune in and report it back here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Eircom won't show up as usual and the Last Word will chicken out of producing an 'unbalanced ' discussion.

Hopefully they have a stand in who will berate the other half of the Duopoly over its inaction

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There talking Comreg/Philip Nolan Eircom/EsatBT right now

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Not very impressed with either of them. IOFFL should have been there, but then Eircom would not have turned up out of fear. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lots of sidestepping, parrying and waffle.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

good talk.

i love the way he gave esat the last word :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The basic problem is that Esat and others are just reselling Eircom's bitstream service. Instead of bypassing Eircom, e.g. using LLU or wireless, they are simply complaining about wholesale prices, knowing full well that Eircom aren't interested in lowering them, and that ComReg aren't up to the job of enforcing lower prices. It would have needed a third party to point this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

The two head honchos.

Murphy seemed to be on a speaker phone, probly with advisers all around, and do you think he could make good, clear, quick points? No.

Nolan, sounded very defensive, but well prepared. Batten down the hatches style.

There was Cooper, but also another guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

yeah agreed definitely, but any publicity at this stage will alert more people to the situation,

theres no way around eircom really is there

drop the prices u rat :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I've a copy. When I calm down I'll make it available.

So many opportunities.........

Do you think TodayFM would answer calls to the station when their sponsor was involved... nope! I was walking around with one ear on the phone and one to the radio.

Phil please....... price caps protecting consumers....... what about your two recent line rental increases?

Oh dear..... it would cost you a couple of million if other services are included in the line rental price enforcement, but what about the 50 million plus you've already secured this year in line rental increases alone.

Blustering through facts and figures comparing us with the UK and comparing costs of international bandwidth between operators and enterprise, when did that ever help the consumer? Yeehaa I can get a 142 mb line to the States for zip, but I can't get 512k to my home! If I'm lucky and I can get access I'm screwed on the price :rolleyes:

Thanks for the admssion that your ADSL take up has increased over 5 fold since you cut the prices in May, not that it's a surprise.

Unfortunately Matt was not really up to the task and the the Sunday Tribune's business editor did not really have an opportunity to speak, when he did he was asked to tell us all what local loop unbundling meant <groan>.

Bill should have been in studio also, it makes a huge difference, but then again Eircom probably had some legal document drawn up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I caught the last 5-8 minutes thanks to Mike's post. Hello to those in Esat and Eircom land trawling the forum for comments.

I'll assume that Bill indeed had advisors around him - the click noises were presumably coming when he popped the mute button while getting advice in his ear.

Phil may have sounded good to a dufus who knows nothing about the reality of telecoms difficulties in this country. Which unfortunately is probably a reasonably large number of people (but happily a slowly dwindling number). As dangger put it, there aren't a great number of people sho are happier as a result of hearing that international leased lines are damned cheap. If anything, he shot himself in the head with that comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Oh, threads merged btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Whats this? Last I heard was a rumour that the Eircom Rat was in Intensive care, and the prognosis for survival is not looking good?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Anyone got an mp3 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Bill carefully sought to give the impression that his mind was purely on the ESAT job and the Irish consumer, he never convinced me.

Phil could have quoted Bills own words back at him, ironically of course, from a speech that Bill made in Wales last month where he is known as Director of BT Regions

Anyway back to the speech. It was a Goooood speech.

"BT is now volunteering to share its initiatives with other partners who also wish to see wider access and greater take-up of broadband services, in a truly competitive UK marketplace
    In addition, we will make our 'Broadband Britain Blueprint' available to our competitors who also have responsibilities for creating a broadband-enabled society across the UK"

Unfortunately Bill as MD of ESAT (over here) was not quite as generous with his offer to "make our 'Broadband Britain Blueprint' available to our competitors who also have responsibilities "

A pity really, he probably had it in front of him while he was nobbin with the mute button on the fone.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

P2P i have it in mp3, wav or ogg, how will i get it to you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Mark_irl
    P2P i have it in mp3, wav or ogg, how will i get it to you?

Upload it to a website somewhere, or if ya want e-mail to me and I'll upload to to my website :D
    Or better yet give it to IOFFL and they'll stick it on there website
    ww)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

if you post it on your website, could you put a link here?
    thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I host IO's website Mark, you can email them to me. You might notify me when you do, my procmail filters will catch the attachment(s).

Thanks,
    adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ok, now available from IO's website in MP3 and OGG formats. Dave will no doubt link these from the downloads page later.

Thanks Mark,
    adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Will do. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

That was an interesting discussion, shame that all the talk and no action is going to do fsck all for Broadband in ireland.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Dissappointing....i could be wrong but i believe there never was a proper opportunity on this show anyway..given ESATs sponsorship of the Last Word.

Thinking in terms of what your average joe would have taken away from it, i dont think its done anything. The €ircon rat quoting stats from a comrag report went without any proper scrutiny....

The Rat quoting from the Comrag quaterly report March 2003#

4th Cheapest in the EU for Broadband.
    Cheapest Wholesale FRIACO in Europe
    For Household telephone calls - 5th cheapest out of 15 in Europe
    For Business Telephony - 5th cheapest in Europe
    For international leased lines, cheapest in Europe.

This is the sort of s@:t€ the suits spent days preparing for the King Rat and those stats went without question:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Phil,

is disillusional and stoney broke ...

Advertisement