Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finally got an upgrade but...

• 12-06-2003 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭

right i decided it was time for me to get an upgrade and so i did

i got

1 104198 Cooler Master Midi tower ATC-200-MX1 Pcs 1,00 1,00 0,00
    Silver\Grey. Aluminium No PSU. ATX
    2 112083 Q-Tec PSU ATX 400W Dual Fan Pcs 1,00 1,00 0,00
    PSU for PIII/AMD/P4 CPUs
    3 117322 Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Boxed PC800 Pcs 1,00 1,00 0,00
    Socket PGA478, 512kB "Northwood"
    4 117442 Abit IC7-G mainboard for S478/800mhz Pcs 1,00 1,00 0,00
    I875P,SATA,ATX,GbLAN,Dual-DDR,1394,Raid
    5 112666 DDR-DIMM PC3200 512MB DDR CL2.5 Pcs 2,00 2,00 0,00
    Memory 184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)
    6 112890 Microsoft Windows XP Professional + Pcs 1,00 1,00 0,00
    Software English OEM
    7 101046 Eicon Diva ISDN 2.02 P&Play PCI Pcs 1,00 1,00 0,00
    Passivt Bulk
    8 100731 NN Frame from 3,5" to 5,25" Internal Pcs 2,00 2,00 0,00

all from komplett. i made this up with no bothers and when i came time to install XP pro the computer just SHUTS DOWN! i also have a geforce4 ti4200 and 30+120 gig hard drives in there also.

atm the pc is runnning with two fans at the front of the case one on the heatsink one on the motherboard one at the back of the case and one at the top of the case. i had a look in the bios and it said that the CPU temperature is at 49-50 degrees celius would this be the problem that the cpu is over heating and that it just shuts down or is it something else. the power supply i'm using is a q-tec 400w.

cheers

Neil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

no the cpu temp is okay, the ic7 over reports temps by a bit

ive heard of this board giving a lot of probs installing windows for some reason?

try this:
    1. Set the memory timings manully. Try relaxed settings (you could post to the Corsair site for Ram Guy's recommendations). I'd try 2-2-2-6 (that's 2-6-2-2 in the BIOS).

2. Disconnect and disable IDE 1 - and make sure your CD is on IDE 2!!

3. Run MemTest3 to ensure you have no memory / cpu / MB problems i.e. no errors after several passes of All Tests (this takes several hours - I went to work and left it running).

4. Try BIOS v1.1. note that v1.3 can add to the problems it seems. Roll on v1.4.

5. The Unworkable CPU is down to memory timings - don't use the SPD to set them.

6. Set AGP / PCI bus ratios to fixed - lock it all down.

7. Leave the Performance Mode disabled (for now at least).

8. Set vDimm to 2.7v. Any less gives MemTest3 errors (for me).

looksie here:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90207

do a search on the ocuk forums ive seen this problem a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sorry i don;t really understand i'm kinda a newbie when it comes to working inside the bios

oh oh, could be a bit of trouble then :(

listen the main thing is to set the voltage to your memory (vdimm) to 2.7 or 2.8v as i think thats what the problem is

go into the bios and itll either be in softmenu or advanced chipset features

oh and maybe drop the memory timings aswell to cas 2.5 instead of cas 2

oh and tell me u got two sticks of ram? theres no point havin an ic7 if ur not running in dual mode :)

i have two 512mb twinmos ddr 400 sticks

perfect, now increase the voltage to them ;)

• Advertisement

right i tried sticking them up to 2..7 but that didn't work it still crashes when it tries to install XP

EDIT tried using 2.8 no use either

the memory timing is set to 2.5 aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I had the same problem ... P4 2.4C with IC7-G ... every time I tried to install XP I got a blue screen, various different errors ... I set EVERYTHING manually (noticed first time that the SPD for my ram was WAY out), and even tried bios ver 1.3 (bug in the version that came with the board, it would hang when you go into the environmentals screen ..the one showing fan RPM's) ... I tested my new ram in another PC .. (2 x 256MB expensive Mushkin PC3200, very overclockable, black PCB EL), tried installing on SCSI drives, used my own IDE cables instead of the rounded ones supplied, used a SATA drive, disabled everything like sound and LAN and extra SATA controller ... basically I did my nut and finally gave up and put it down to a dodgy mobo or cpu and applied to komplett for RMA's for them ... Needless to say I never looked on d'internet to see if it was a common problem... shaggit, dont know what to do now ... might try farting around with it again tomorrow .... grrr ... it completely pi$$ed me off the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

If you can try a different PSU. I had a similar problem with a 400w Q-tec recently. Computer would power up.. then shut down a minute later.

I just bought a new 460watt powersupply that is able to drive two hard disks, two cpus, 4 sticks of ram, a video card, a scsi card a sound card, two CDroms, a network card and a modem, it should be able to drive a single cpu, two sticks or ram, a single hard drive, cdrom and a graphics card (I know the P4 uses upwards of 80watts on its own) ... power may be a contributing factor in some peoples problems, but not mine .... tomorrow I'll fiddle with relaxed timings and increased ram voltages ...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

In my case the psu was faulty...

like i said lads look, even post ur problems on the ocuk forums:
    forums.overclockers.co.uk

or www.asusboards.com

its a common problem iirc

oh another thing i though of, try when ur installing windows to set the the ram to run at a lower speed than ur cpu, there should be a 5:4 divider meaning if ur cpu is at 200 fsb the ram will be at 160

i've tried everthing but nothing works.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Yrthilian

hmm this sounds like a problem i have run into before.

when installing windows at the install promtp just after the dos bit.press F6 i think it was.

the reasion it does this i belive is that it is the power managment in windows is faulty this has happened a lot with newer system that use a lot of power. also same with old system that use the old 200w psu.

there will be no beep or anything like that when you do the little trick above as windows will disable it automaticly.

but please check the key that need to be stroked on the microsoft site as i have not had to do this for a while and am not sure if it is the F6 or F5 key you need to hit.

thanks
    Yrth

I was looking around and saw a comment that some FSB800 P4's have slight problems ... (cant find the flipping site now where I saw that, it was a well regarded US tech site) ... the same site (or possibly another site:rolleyes: , head not working too well today) said that changing the N/B option from PSB533 to 800 might help ... and I dont have a notion which setting this is :rolleyes: ...

I never got a chance to test my mobo / cpu / ram yesterday ... will have a shot at it soon....

If it still giving me problems I'm going to send back my ram and get corsair instead ... seems to have less problems

Well, I got going finally, turns out that just setting the ram voltage to 2.7 did the trick ... one strange thing is that after a soft boot it will not detect a sata drive on the onboard intel controller all the time, sometimes it will, sometimes it wont, I moved the drive to the Silicon Image controller and the problem disappeared ... going to spend the night downloading the latest drivers for everything now :(

If you were pi$$ed off with your IC7-G before you'll go mental when you see this......

If you look at this link to legitreviews you will see that with the newest IS7 (865 board) is outperforming the IC7-G board!!!:eek: :(
    FFS what the hell are they at, the differences between the boards are 875 has ECC support and CSA, which allows gigabit ethernet ... but the IS7 has an added 3com chip for network so it only really is missing ECC support
    The bottom line is that komplett has the IS7 for €126 ... which is €100 cheaper than when i bought mine :mad: (IC7-G is €199 today)

it seems thats only at stock mate, once u overclock the ic7 and the is7 and utilise a negative memory divider the ic7 once again pulls ahead

Advertisement