Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice needed from you lovely senior cycle folk.

Options
  • 12-06-2003 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Currently I'm in 3rd year (ah yes - the work is over for now - hurrah :)) and next year I'm assigned to go into 5th year.

I picked History, Geography, Economics and French for next year - but somewhat sadly - the timetable didn't come together properly and I had to revert to Business Studies instead of Economy.

So, here's the conundrum:

Do I switch to transition year, and hedge my bets on my subjects coming up next year?

Or do I:

Keep my head down and go ahead with the current plan.

I'm looking for some advice from those who did Transition year, and from those who just went ahead straight into their senior cycle. I'm really really stuck on this one *Frown*...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Shelliestar

Do business, its really easy, i only took it up this year and did really well in yesterdays exam, if theres anything you dont really know you can make a guess and get the marks, unlike some other subjects.
    Skip transition year, i did it and we had the teacher strikes the whole way through so it was a joke.
    Be prepared for history though, one girl i know did really bad in her exam cause her essays didnt come up, it can be a bitch of a subject for the actual leaving cert exam.
    Oh and I didnt get two of my subject either by the way in school so i did home ec instead of geography (thank god) and business outside school.
    Anyways best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dont do history unless you're prepared to put a lot of work in to do well in it.
    Its interesting work, but its lots of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Well - if I go ahead with 5th year I'm more or less stuck with the current subjects :( so it's either that or 4th year.

Our school divides the optional subjects into 4 strips/bands - so instead of history I have options like Art/Construction Studies/French. I'm awful at the first two - and I already have the third class... so there's no real alternative, apart from 4th year.

Thanks for the advice - sorry to hear about your poor Transition Year experience Shelliestar :(. Stupid strikes - well - they were good for me actually. Felt sorry for everyone else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

4th year, ahhh the memories. Sitting around doing shag all. Was great while your there but once 5th year hits you realise it just made ya a lazy bollock and now you have to get back into the whole "study" thing.

I do(oh wait did) both business and economics and business is a soft option, 5 times easier than economics and easy to do well in so dont worry too much about that.

I also did history and although there is alot of work involved its really just a case of learn and repeat. Is actually a subject you can do very well if you just spend a bit of time learning off topics etc, theres no real comprehension involved(I think that makes sense)

As to what you do about it. Well really i dont think its up to to any of us to tell you. Youll have a fair idea what each subject involves and whether theyre for you or not. What you do with that information is for you and you alone to decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

4th year can be cool and worthwhile.... I'd do it again... but you will *never* recover from the laziness...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Wtf are you talking about? Those strikes happened at the best possible time.
    I propaply would advise against doing Transition year, unless a lot of people are. Otherwise loads of stuff wont happen and it will be half assed. Its mandatory in my school.

Although I thought it was a nice break in study. And if you do do it, make sure you actually get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

TY was so much fun in my school. Its not mandatory so only 20 did it my year which was cool cause we got to do loads of stuff. But it turned me into a lazy arse who did more studying for his JC than LC :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Do whatever your mates are doing. If theyre all going into 4th year you can just sit around all year with them doing no work and having a laugh... but if youre going into 4th year on your own I imagine youd end up bored out of your mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Be happy you have business its fairly easy...its mostly common sense and having it will help your points.

essentially everyone in my year who did not pick it regreted it afterwards

p.s Since you just did your JC you should know even if you screw up the Decision of Honours\Pass is still up to yourself you dont have to go into the class the school suggests based on your results and personally i would suggest giving honours a try in most atleast to begin with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

I did less studying in the JC (not even the night b4 the tests) than in the LC (night b4 the tests) but I must say every day was basically one big laugh.

All the trips and stuff was cool, and I can still remember jumping out the window to get by the principle on the day of the strikes :D

ah memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Well if I was you i'd do fouth year simply because it was such a great laugh...yes it makes you a bit lazy but IMO it was worth it.

When I was in 4th year I did aload of sailing + mountaineering, driving course , paintballing (or was that 5th year :confused: ) , some good field trips which involved launching our 60ish year old teach in a river :D , basically I had a laugh.

But all schools arent the same and some of my buddies from another school wish they had gone straight into 5th year.

So ask the lads who just came outta 4th year in your school what they thought of it before you make any decisions.

Theres my two cents! ww)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm just finished the J.C. myself, so i'm kind of in the same boat.

WTF are you doing going straight into fifth year? i can't wait until 4th year, i won't have to listen, learn or concentrate until Sep.2004, just do fifth year and enjoy it, you don't wanna be away from all your mates do ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

god this boat must be getting a bit over crowded....

i just finished my j.c and goin into 5yr said id keep going! i picked business, biology and Home Ec just wondering what ye thought of those subjects. anyothers i sud think about?
    im also doin honours english and irish and pass maths-pass maths coz basically i did honous maths in for my j.c and failed the pres by a % and thats coz i never took my books home, i did however manage to open the book late on the night before the exam. i think however i managed to get a D or lets push the boat out and say a C! hehe.
    i said i will do the pass for 5yr coz i no i will do it for the l.c, i think i sud just do it from day one?? what ye think?

oh and also what do ye no about this l.c.v.p thing? any good?

thanx all

Advertisement